Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

What Kind of Flying Have You Been Doing?

Just want to know the kind of routes and aircraft you FSX users are flying nowadays. Do you fly small GA planes on short rural hops or fly between big cities on airliner flights? Since my return to FSX I've been flying GA planes like cessnas and beech but I'm yearning for jumping in 737s and a320s and flying between big & busy addon airports.

A2A c172, recreating cross country flights that I have performed.

Mostly B77W routes. Exploring new destinations.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Just want to know the kind of routes and aircraft you FSX users are flying nowadays. Do you fly small GA planes on short rural hops or fly between big cities on airliner flights? Since my return to FSX I've been flying GA planes like cessnas and beech but I'm yearning for jumping in 737s and a320s and flying between big & busy addon airports.

I'm easily distracted, so tend to jump around a lot, and typically can handle no more than 2 or 3 flights in a row on the same plane without a change in pace. I've found there are many types of flying FSX can accommodate to keep things diverse...  

Small G/A - "slow" singles, perfect for learning/enjoying the basics, ideal for pattern work

Large G/A - faster twins, better equipped for ranged flight, ideal for cross country or IFR cruise

Small Regional - 1 hour flights, typically turbo prop, in small regional planes like JS4100

Large Regional - 1.5 to 2.5 hour flights, in something like a Dash 8 or 737, more involved procedures (this right here is a sweet spot between small airports and airline procedures)  

Medium Haul Airline - 737/A320 territory, 2-3 hour flights usually on the same continent. Full airline procedures into large airports/cities.

Long Haul Airline - Big planes, big airports, major cities, really long flights, very thorough flight planning, usually between continents.  

I enjoy them all, and switch often. 

Don't forget many 1-2 hour US flights are performed by 737s,airbus a320 family and even the 757 too...as these are short range airliners as well. Those are my kinda FSX flights as 3hrs+ at the PC just seems too long for me..:s

I like flying in Florida and the Bahamas... no snow, rarely is there icing to worry about...  flight times of less than 2 hours...  cargo and charter stuff.  After spending a bunch of hours flying the Cessna 208B, I'm learning to fly Milton Shupe's Beech D18S (FSX) for cargo flights and I have the old FSD Piper PA-31 for passenger charters.  My inspiration is Aztec Airways (AZY), located at KFXE, which operates an E18S (N737SW) and a G18S (N9690R) for cargo to the Bahamas and a PA-31-350 (N122AW) for passenger charters to the Bahamas and destinations within Florida.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

99.5 % 737NG. Ranging between 0.5 - 6 hours flight time. Always real world operators/routes. 

0.5 % A2A PA28 / C172

I'm completely new to the world of aviation, but I've been exploring Iceland (OrbX+vector) in the A2A Cherokee. I'm still learning all about navigation and how to use the radio and GPS. Once I've done that I'd like to do a coast to coast route across the States in a light aircraft. That would be great.

I'm completely new to the world of aviation, but I've been exploring Iceland (OrbX+vector) in the A2A Cherokee. I'm still learning all about navigation and how to use the radio and GPS. Once I've done that I'd like to do a coast to coast route across the States in a light aircraft. That would be great.

Welcome then! Sounds like you're having fun!  B)

GA flights for sight seeing.  F1 Mustang for between cities flights.  I don't feel like flying the tube airliners type these days, as I found the prep times too much, plus I don't want a second virtual full time job ;-)

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Been flying out of my homemade fantasy retirement strip 6CL4.  Flew the RA Scout up the Yosemite Valley and landed on the meadow in front of the Ahwahnee Hotel yesterday. 

Andd...we hope no one from the FAA is monitoring this thread....lol.  I usually fly the heavy tin but recently going back to the Flight 1 ATR-72 routes for Azul Airlines in South America.  Some of those airports in SA are VERY challenging.

Been flying out of my homemade fantasy retirement strip 6CL4.  Flew the RA Scout up the Yosemite Valley and landed on the meadow in front of the Ahwahnee Hotel yesterday. 

I had been enjoying the Cherokee, RV-7, Legacy, Duke and other GA types alot, but I have been hankering to fly the thoroughbreds again.  Flying a Spitfire, Warhawk, Thunderbolt, Anton, Dora...etc really hones basic pilot stick and rudder skill as well as basic navigation skills...ie look out the window and follow a road lol.   The Civil Mustang really is the best of both worlds.

I try to find a healthy balance between the mundane GAs (every day planes) and the dream machines (airshow planes).

Cheers

TJ

Really been enjoying the PMDG 777-300ER. It is now my second-favorite aircraft of all time, following only the Boeing 757-200, a real beauty. I have gotten sick of the NGX after flying it for about 2 years now without many other aircraft. The Airbus X Extended isn't of interest to me anymore.

I used to fly the default 737 with a few add-ons but about 6 months ago I climbed aboard Francois Dore' s modified Project Airbus A320.  WOW!  Very easy to fly, lots of immersion in the cockpit.  The VA I fly for, Platinum, lets me choose where I fly from and where I want to land.  I generally stick with the larger cities to ensure an ILS approach but don't completely rule out the occasional GPS style approach.  This PA A320 has really got my mouth watering for the upcoming release of the FlightSim Labs A320. 

The three add-ons  I always use are EFASS, Rex, and Radar Contact.