Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

Which weather program are you using with 2.3

I hope I can get some feedback on weather programs to be used with P3dv2.3.

I currently use REX4 w/Essential and I too experience the micro stutters.

When I switch to Rex and induce any clouds or any weather the FPS drops 50% to the low teens and the large stutters surface.

Yes I have turned off DT5 and set the clouds to 512

Did the Volumize task, and this did help, thanks to whomever posted it.

My P3d cloud settings are set to medium.

After using it I am not sure if REX4 w/Essential is the best option for 2.3.

Which weather program are you using with 2.3 and are you happy with the results?

I was thinking of OpusFSX so I can also gain camera movement, or is ASN better?

I tend to fly in areas where weather is an everyday factor.

My system is

i7-3770K 3.5 @ 4.4

GTX780 3788-KR OC 3GB

SSD

39” 4k currently at 2660x1600

Thanks to anyone that reply's

Nick Sciortino

I use only ASN, and I love it. I have an old-ish computer with a 6GB 770, and I get about 30-35 fps when it is cloudy.

Frans

I am also shopping the market for a weather generator ....

I just just started evaluating the Opus FSX for P3D. So far, I like it. I am using the eval version that runs for 15 minutes. I really like the camera view, automatic head movement, dynamic shaking of the virtual cockpit and the interface to the buttkicker. 

I am also keeping my eye on the new REX weather engine that has not bee released yet...

Again the question for weather engines. It seems to be very popular now. I use ASN, AS2012 and REX HD OD. Favorite in the same order.

Spirit

Used to use OpusFSX with FSX but now I use ASN for P3D: I like the options ASN has that OpusFSX lacks, like historic weather, which I use all the time and which btw is loaded automatically based on the date and time in the sim! I also like it that you can limit wind speeds if you want to. And flightplans are loaded automatically after which you can get an audio ATIS of departure, enroute and destination. And although not too important I like the interface of ASN more and OpusFSX has become way too complicated. It was the quickest weather engine around two years ago but ASN is lightning quick too now (maybe even quicker). Finally ASN seems to perform a LOT better than the last version of OpusFSX I used when it comes to popping clouds and sudden weather changes. (It's been quite some time though since I last used OpusFSX so maybe they have improved that by now.)

BTW You can try ASN for free for a week (no limits in functionality).

I have Opus, ASN, and FSGRW.  In testing locally and by comparing real-time webcams to generated output in Alaska and elsewhere, I've found that Opus does the best job at recreating the real weather.  FSGRW is second and ASN third.  Also I love the camera functions in Opus.  Opus seems to be the most updated program of the three as well.  While ASN and FSGRW have had "outages" with respect to P3Dv2, Opus has been solid since day one.  I can't imagine flying without it.

Scott

Which weather program are you using with 2.3 and are you happy with the results?

FSGRW. Very.   ^_^

For now I'm using the lastest version of FSGRW (don't recall the version number) and I very pleased with it, but will probably also install ASN.  I was very happy with ASN in FSX - really like the cloud based precipitation.  I have found that FSGRW does a decent job, with minimal impact on performance.  Opus also has a lot of nice features, but still had some cloud popping issues when I last tried it in FSX.

I am relatively new to P3D (recently retired FSX for good), and still have some experimenting to do with weather engines. However, I expect that I will end up using ASN the most, if it performs in P3D as it did in FSX.

Gerald

FSGRW.

Easy to use (as there aren't thousands of unnecessary options like ASN has), most realistic and the local weather effect is a game changer

I use ASN for Prepar3d, it is the best weather engine developed so far. Yes, it weighs a little bit on performance, but it is due to the more precise depiction system.

I get stutters also, but I think they are not driven by ASN, but due to other factors.

ASN has much improved compared to ASE, now the depiction system works very well, no sudden cloud appearing/disappearing, clouds are generated where they are supposed to be and so on.

For me it is a must have.

ASN has much improved compared to ASE

It sure has. I in fact bought OpusFSX because I wasn't happy at all with ASE LOL And now I've bought ASN because I wasn't happy with OpusFSX ^_^ ASE was extremely slow with its weather updates (could take minutes before weather was loaded) but now it's instant, faster than OpusFSX, so it seems.

as there aren't thousands of unnecessary options like ASN has

Are you sure you are talking about ASN and not ASE? ASN has very easy to understand options which all make sense. But in the end it's all about what you want from a weather engine of course: I don't need all the extra's OpusFSX offers while others can't live without them.

I completely agree with J van E's analysis of things. I have OPUS and recently bought ASN and much prefer ASN. I use OPUS with FSX only now.

I guess ASN speaks my language...as in the GUI is intuitive and easy to navigate through. Also delivers the weather quite accurately while I found OPUS to be inconsistent. 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

thanks for the suggestions.....

I am trying ASN at this time with there 7 day trial and one thing I noticed going from REX4 w/Essentials to ASN was an increase in frame rates and a decrease in GPU usage from a constant 99% to anywhere between 89-99%. This is good to see.

Nick Sciortino

ASN + HDE freeware clouds and sky textures. Very real-world!

I also use FsRealWxLite (freeware) excellent little weather engine.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg