Sign in to follow this  
brucets

Intel Launches its Core i7-5000 Series

How I wish I had waited so that I could experience a 5% increase in framerates, and a 50% decrease in my bank balance. Damn it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Having now read a few reviews my CPU recommendations for FSX are now as follows:

Regular FSX user: overclocked i5 4690K

Regular FSX user that won't overclock: i7 4790K

Photo scenery with high LOD user on a budget: overclocked i7 5820K

Photo scenery with high LOD user where money doesn't matter: overclocked i7 5960X

These new CPU's only matter when you use photo scenery with high LOD setting. The 5820K really brought down the price for texture loading compared to previous offerings and the 5960X upped the maximum possible texture loading albeit at a massive price tag.

Regular FSX users have nothing to gain from these new CPUs however

5790K?

Tell me more..

Typo. Should be 4790K and has been changed now. Sorry to ruin your exitement

Everyone please remember this quote by Seung-Woo Kim, senior application engineer at Intel involved in FSX SP1 that made all the multithread optimisations for FSX:

"There are essentially two ways to use multi-threading for the Flight Simulator. One is to increase the frame rate. Another is to increase the visual quality. Last year, the primary concern at Microsoft was both, but they were more concerned about the visual quality of the software. We decided to use multi-threading to increase the visual quality, instead of increase the frame rate."

Every additional CPU core over 3 cores is basically just used to improve the loading of ground scenery textures in FSX. A shame they didn't go for the first option.

Having now read a few reviews my CPU recommendations for FSX are now as follows:

Photo scenery with high LOD user where money doesn't matter: overclocked i7 5960X

These new CPU's only matter when you use photo scenery with high LOD setting. The 5820K really brought down the price for texture loading compared to previous offerings and the 5960X upped the maximum possible texture loading albeit at a massive price tag.

Agree to 100% , I wait one year to let the memory be better, remember ddr2 to ddr3 the poor performance and high price tag on the first gen.

As one who favors X-Plane I'll be actively looking for reviews from that section of the community. This could be a big step forward. Thanks for the pointer OP.

Agree to 100% , I wait one year to let the memory be better, remember ddr2 to ddr3 the poor performance and high price tag on the first gen.

You know a lot about RAM. Have you seen/heard anything of how these new CPUs handle overclocked DDR4 ram. Regular Haswell seem to have a great IMC that handles high speed DDR3 at low latency fine. I wonder how Haswell-E is?

Part of me is very tempted to pick up a i7 5960X when I go past Microcenter in a month. DDR4 however is quite pricy compared to DDR3 at the moment though, but only when you look at 2133 and 2400MHz parts. Not to mention the latencies for DDR4 at those speeds. But when you compare the high speed 3000MHz DDR3 to the high speed 3000MHz DDR4 it doesn't differ that much in price any more. Will most IMCs in Haswell-E handle those speeds though?

Sure, the high speed DDR4 seems to have a bit worse CAS latency but tRCD and tRP doesn't seem to be worse. Don't know about the other sub timings. I also wonder if any of the DDR4 kits would actually handle lower latencies than what they are specified for?

Had some info " you now were from" 2666 11 11 11 with liitle more voltage , some kits do 3500 some not boot at 3300, the mem kits seems to have broad spectrum on the quality of the chips.

It can be the IMC on the ES batches to early to tell,

1200 dollars just for the cpu - yikes out of my budget right now

This is one great looking motherboard - would look great in my White Phantom 820 - but I am a gigabyte Guy

http://www.techpowerup.com/204537/intel-core-i7-haswell-e-pricing-detailed.html?cp=2#comments

Rich Sennett

I'm still using a 2600K OC'd to 4.2.  Funny thing is I am OK with it, cant bring my self to spend the $$$ to upgrade when I am satisfied with what I have.

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

1200 dollars just for the cpu - yikes out of my budget right now

This is one great looking motherboard - would look great in my White Phantom 820 - but I am a gigabyte Guy

http://www.techpowerup.com/204537/intel-core-i7-haswell-e-pricing-detailed.html?cp=2#comments

It can be had for $900 if you have a Microcenter close by. Standard Extreme edition pricing that has been around for 10 years now. So in real term it has actually gone down. Still crazy money though. I was worried they would finally up their pricing this time as its been quite a while since they added new cores and that could be an excuse to do it.

I was also worried that the eight core version would be a worse overclocker purely from the extra heat concentrated on the chip, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Sure enough you still increase the odds to get a badly clocking core by going from 4 to 6 to 8 cores as always.