Sign in to follow this  
CapnSplat

[RoF] First Dogfights

After being on the fence about it for a while, I recently broke down and bought Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition on Steam. Having (almost) completed the training campaign (turns out I'm total garbage at bombing...), I decided to cut my teeth in a few quick mission skirmishes. Herewith the results:

First engagement:

s0gtFjh.jpg

Well, that didn't go according to plan...

VC0JO10.jpg

Take two: time to dance with some SPADs!

WN0oDqm.jpg

Bit of a close call with some errant debris:

CiBwzLo.jpg

"I have you now!"

RRJ2Hwl.jpg

First proper victory!

GzIjM5m.jpg

I decide to check out an Allied plane and try my hand against some two-seaters.

StZdB5p.jpg

Turns out I massively underestimate these big planes and almost immediately get shot to pieces.

Q7OEKkV.jpg

Engine craps out and I've got to make a dead-stick landing in the English countryside.

2as0SZV.jpg

Autumn over Metz:

2ispQ6R.jpg

This guy gets the jump on me, but I manage to turn the tables and put some rounds into his engine.

P5Iwhgq.jpg

After he crash lands, I thought I'd give him a few parting shots courtesy of Kaiser Wilhelm, but I end up snagging undercarriage on his wing.

tqQzLvM.jpg

It doesn't end well.

GuZp5Sj.jpg

Lesson learned.

lyFKvyl.jpg

Nice pictures; RoF is a good simulator, i haven't touched it in months.  I am a little annoyed that they appear to have abandoned it for IL2 BoS, the career mode has been in Beta for about 3 years.

Ian R Tyldesley

Nice pictures; RoF is a good simulator, i haven't touched it in months.  I am a little annoyed that they appear to have abandoned it for IL2 BoS, the career mode has been in Beta for about 3 years.

I've been having a great time with RoF so far! Not sure it's entirely fair to call it "abandoned" by 777 though. A month ago they released the Hanriot HD.1 and HD.2 and just yesterday I downloaded a hotfix. Perhaps it's taken a backseat to BoS, but my impression as a newcomer is that it's still supported.

It's worth mentioning that Jason Williams of 777 foresees "reciprocal benefits" between BoS and RoF. Time will tell what those benefits are, I suppose; but this is probably a discussion not well suited to the screenshots forum! :lol:

Great shots! Where is Richthofen ?

Probably steering clear of me! :lol:

(But seriously: I haven't seen any that I recognize yet, but I think you can encounter famous personalities in the career mode. Pretty cool.)

Awesome shots, seriously. You took your time setting them up. It shows.

Love how your undercarriage sliced right through the wing. Watching enemies disintegrate and fall apart over time is mesmerizing in RoF. Hope you have TrackIR!

Enjoy!

I've been having a great time with RoF so far! Not sure it's entirely fair to call it "abandoned" by 777 though. A month ago they released the Hanriot HD.1 and HD.2 and just yesterday I downloaded a hotfix. Perhaps it's taken a backseat to BoS, but my impression as a newcomer is that it's still supported.

It's worth mentioning that Jason Williams of 777 foresees "reciprocal benefits" between BoS and RoF. Time will tell what those benefits are, I suppose; but this is probably a discussion not well suited to the screenshots forum! :lol:

I had hours of fun with RoF, it is a great simulation.  777 do keep releasing DLC but my point was that they haven't really touched the game modes.

Still...your pictures make me want to load up the sim again and start another career...  

Ian R Tyldesley

I've always enjoyed RoF screenies.  These are no exception, other than being exceptionally well done.   I usually only skim one or two shots in a long series like this.  This time I examined them all.  Thanks.  fine series

Thanks for the kind words everyone! RoF is so good looking and its camera controls so flexible, it makes it easy to take some nice screens! I'll be sure to post more when I've got something cool to show!