Sign in to follow this  
microlight

Wonderful FSX performance - but...

Hi all.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I travel a lot, so I invested in a fast i7 quad core/Nvidia GTX760/8Gb RAM laptop so that I can take the simulator with me. Using the AVSIM set-up guide, I have it running very smoothly indeed, and mainly fly around the UK using ORBX scenery, both in small jetliners and a Piper Warrior, as I learned to fly in one of those. I'm also using Active Sky Next and REX.

The only fly in the ointment is that every maybe half a minute to a minute and a half (it varies), I get a stutter lasting a fraction of a second, which seems to happen more frequently on the ground. The only tweaks I've added to the cfg.file are the highmem fix, and a [jobscheduler] section (to optimise how many cores I'm using) and [bufferpools] for the autogen. I've removed both of these additional entries: no effect. I've systematically gone through the options in the display settings, sliding them to the left one by one: no effect. I even tried the Bojote tweaking tool, and that only made it worse.

Don't get me wrong: my FSX sim is better than it's ever been, and I'd be ecstatically happy with it - if only it didn't do that occasionaly falter.

Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Martyn

Somewhere on here I started a topic because I noticed that every minute my CPU utilisation went ballistic (80-90%) for about 30 secs, no matter what I was doing, even if I was sitting at the ramp cold and dark. It wasn't enough to give me stutters, but I wanted to know what it was. I was eventually told (apologies that I can't recall by whom) that FSX refreshes the scenery every minute, and uses as much available CPU power as it can get to do this. Can't say this is what you are seeing, but it kinda fits.

using ORBX scenery, both in small jetliners and a Piper Warrior, as I learned to fly in one of those. I'm also using Active Sky Next and REX.

What happens if you try the exclusion method and only use one addon at a time? Probably you will find ASN or Orbx are e.g. the exclusive culprits.

You could also try to exclude your FSX executives and folders from your anti virus software actions.

Additionally you could run all the executives as administrator.

I use FSPS Fiber Accelerator which stopped the stutters in complex scenarios for me.

Lately I had to uninstall FTX Global patch 120 and FTX Vector patch 115 to get rid of periodic 2/3 seconds freezes+stutters...

Could be a background process - disable your virus protection and any unnecessary processes in task manager and try running fsx again.

Don't worry about stopping processes, they will all return when you reboot.  This is just a diagnostic exercise.

To be fair, ground scenery can be a bit intensive and you will find it hard to avoid occasional stutters on the ground.  Hthe fact that you get the stutter every 60/90 seconds would point to something like a virus check.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

FSX does refresh the scenery every minute, and if you have the task manager open in the Performance tab, you will see the texture loading cores come to life.  If this is the event that coincides with your stutter, you may want to have another look at your Affinity Mask setting.

Otherwise, I would also suspect some background task interfering.. 

Bert

Don't mean to take over the thread at all, but I have a very similar problem, but it only happens when flying in Europe.  I do have FTX Global 1.2, but not the European Land Class.  I use ASN, 1.0.5226.  The last things I remember installing were PMDG's 777 and an AFCAD for EHAM by Ray Smith, which I removed to no avail.  Performance over the US is fine, no lag, stutters, etc, but over Europe (flying over more than one airport in different areas) I get a significant stutter, almost loosing frames.  I have erased FSX.cfg and applied the Avsim Basic optimizations only.  

Martyn, do you experience the same problem flying anywhere in the US, or another region of the world?   

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

All,

Thanks for your input, and for the helpful suggestions.

SAX 702, it happened anywhere. Any location, simple or complex airports.

Bert, my affinity mask is set at 126, which I understand is correct for a hyperthreaded i7 quad. I tried the calculator on the Gatwick FSG page (http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware) which gave me a value of 84, but this value just showed the full-screen view on the top left quadrant of my screen! Using 126 has all eight cores (four real, four virtual) active in Task Manager, with 1 reserved for the Windows background processes, whereas setting it at 14 only activates the four real cores.

Cianpars, I put Avast antivirus into silent/gaming mode, put fsx.exe at high execution priority and then sat and watched it for a few minutes, and I didn't see any stutters, so I'll try it out more fully tomorrow and report back.

Cheers,

Martyn

Try AM=244   11 11 01 00

That leaves Core0 free for background processes and gives the main FSX rendering load a physical core to itself.

126 is 01 11 11 10   :huh:

Bert

Lately I had to uninstall FTX Global patch 120 and FTX Vector patch 115 to get rid of periodic 2/3 seconds freezes+stutters...

Claus,

Did you find others that had to uninstall FTX Global 1.2 to remove stutters?  I'm wondering if that is my problem.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Did you find others that had to uninstall FTX Global 1.2 to remove stutters? I'm wondering if that is my problem.

I have no idea if I am the only one...

I can only say that I noticed the stutters in FSX after having uninstalled P3D2.3 and having installed the patches FTX Global120 and Vector115 for FSX.

So I re-installed P3D2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 = still stutters

Re-Installed P3D1.4 = still stutters

Re-installed FTX Global110+Vectors110 (original installers) = stutters were gone

Re-installed FTX patches Global120+Vector115 = stutters back again

Re-installed FTX Global110+Vectors110 (original installers) = stutters were gone again

So I leave it like that. B)

I never found upping the priority helped at all on fsx or previous flight simulators, in fact if you go to high it is detrimental.

For me normal and high priority achieved exactly the same results.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Ok, tried a new flight from ground level and the stutter was still there. Then I changed the affinity mask to Bert's suggestion, put the antivirus on gaming mode, and it seems to be slightly improved. Not gone, but improved. As Ian noted, priority seems to make no difference. The explorations continue!