Sign in to follow this  
SAAB340

New Haswell-E CPUs for photos scenery lovers.

Today Intel released 3 new CPUs in the Haswell-E 5000 series.

They are all relevant for us photo scenery lovers as they all have either 6 or 8 Haswell cores.

The cheapest $390 on newegg i7 5820K will offer us six hyperthreaded unlocked cores (only $50 more that the quad core i7 4790K.)

The $590 i7 5930K only difference to the 5820K is that it has a slightly higher stock speed and 40 instead of 28 PCIe lanes so offers no benefit in an overclocked FSX rig.

The top of the line $1050 i7 5960X will give you eight hyperthreaded cores that will improve texture loading even further albeit for a massive price tag.

All of the above CPU's seems to overclock to around 4.5GHz give or take a few 100MHz depending on the chips lottery, just as its quad core i5 and i7 Haswell siblings. But Haswell-E require DDR4 RAM that is quite pricy at the moment.

The new recommendation for photo scenery CPU will now be an overclocked i7 5820K.

If you have a lot of extra money the i7 5960X will be even better.

We photo scenery enthusiasts finally won't have to give up FPS for texture loading by having to use a Sandy- or Ivy-Bridge architecture any more. Haswell gave significant FPS improvements in FSX at the same clockspeed compared to the previous architectures. We can finally have them at more than quad-core and that only matters to photo scenery texture loading.

so the 5960x brings me no advantage if i use orbx global, vector and lc?

i thought the 8 cores will also help there?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

so the 5960x brings me no advantage if i use orbx global, vector and lc?

i thought the 8 cores will also help there?

I very much doubt it will help there. What more cores (above 3) can help with is ground texture loading, terrain elevation loading and autogen loading. It can't give you better FPS for example.

I saw you commented in another thread saying you saw no improvements upgrading to the 990X earlier. If you are looking for improvements in areas where the 990X failed last time, the extra cores on the 5960X won't help this time either.

Are you still using the 990X? The Haswell architecture is way better than the 990xs' Westmere architecture. In FSX its 25% better clock for clock when it comes to FPS and probably what you're looking for an improvement in. But you won't need the 8 core version for that. A 4 core Haswell version is normally enough for FSX. The only thing you'll notice with 6 or 8 cores is faster photo scenery texture loading. A 4 core Haswell is probably worse at photo scenery texture loading than the 990X.

If were looking at PC software in general the 4790K is performing very similar to the your 990X when it comes to multi threaded software.

hey saab,

yes i saw the topic in the hardware section after this one.

no currently i'm using a i5 4670k @ 4.8 ghz with a 250 gb samsung ssd and a gtx780. with steves dx10 fixer.

but still i have blurries. the frames are ok between 23-30 mostly in the pmdg 777 and on heavy addon airports.

but i read somwere that my "blurries" are a result of the 5760x1080 resolution (3 x 23 zoll monitors)? because fsx can not handle the pov?

Example:

when i center my view in the middle Monitor the ground is clear and sharp. but on the left and right monitor the ground textures are blurry.

when i then move my view to the right monitor with trackir the ground textures in the right monitor are sharp but in the middle and left monitor they are blurry.

And i thought maybee a 5960x @ 4.4 ghz with the additional cores can help here. but only if it's really no pov problem.

so you dont think the additional cores will help much?

the only thing i see is that in the are the most of the time the 1 core of the 3 i use ( affinitymask =14) is between 70 and 80% usage and the other two are betwewen 25% and 70 % so it seems there is power left.

brgrs

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

when i center my view in the middle Monitor the ground is clear and sharp. but on the left and right monitor the ground textures are blurry.

Oh, I see your problem. This is due to the fact that you are viewing textures that are further away form your POV as FSX renders your 3 screens as a flat surface and the textures further away from the POV will get lesser quality textures.

A solution would be to increase the LOD setting and by doing that you do indeed cause a lot more requirement for texture loading that can be had with more cores, however you probably won't be able to increase the LOD enough as you quickly run it to OOMs as the 4GB VAS limit is easily hit using complex aircrafts and high LOD . I take it the textures you think are blurry never go sharp if you just pause the simulator and let the view be still? More cores/SSDs only help if the textures go sharp when you pause.

Another solution would be to run 3 different views, one for each monitor, making the edge of each monitor much closer to its POV. However this would be a huge FPS eater and won't work with trackIR either...

Sorry

If the sim is requiring 3.3GB of VRAM to load textures "on time",   and you only have a 2GB or even a 3G videocard,

then your other hardware is irrelevant to the problem

Even if your GPU-z says it only needed 2.7GB and you "think" your in the  clear, you dont really know this, as it most likely is accommodating your lower VRAM by

lowering its requirements/planning, and blurring your texture loading as the only visible consequence.

I have a 4G card and rarely see VRAM loading above 3.6GB and usually settles near 3.3GB on either my 4K monitor

or with eyefinity set to 3 X 1920x1200 portraits.

Oh, I see your problem. This is due to the fact that you are viewing textures that are further away form your POV as FSX renders your 3 screens as a flat surface and the textures further away from the POV will get lesser quality textures.

A solution would be to increase the LOD setting and by doing that you do indeed cause a lot more requirement for texture loading that can be had with more cores, however you probably won't be able to increase the LOD enough as you quickly run it to OOMs as the 4GB VAS limit is easily hit using complex aircrafts and high LOD . I take it the textures you think are blurry never go sharp if you just pause the simulator and let the view be still? More cores/SSDs only help if the textures go sharp when you pause.

Another solution would be to run 3 different views, one for each monitor, making the edge of each monitor much closer to its POV. However this would be a huge FPS eater and won't work with trackIR either...

Sorry

But do you think i should by the 5960X then or better by the price/performance winner the 5820K ? Because 6 Cores are enough? 

sfo_a320.png

But do you think i should by the 5960X then or better by the price/performance winner the 5820K ? Because 6 Cores are enough?

Possibly neither. Do the blurry textures go sharp enough after a while when you pause the sim?

Have a feeling your problem is something that is due to the FOV and not texture loading as such.

hmmm so no chance mr. fancy pants :) 

Do you think it makes more sense to have one big monitor with 28" because with 1 Monitori should not have any FOV problems ?

brgds

sfo_a320.png

1 monitor would obviously not give you as wide view as you have now with 3 monitors.With all pros and cons that comes with that. Personally I'd love to have 3 screens myself but don't really have the space for it...Can't help you here I'm afraid. I'm sure there's people here that know a lot more about how to get the best out of your multi monitor setup.

thank you saab i will start a new topic i the hardware forum

sfo_a320.png