Sign in to follow this  
Zombiescu

Just general FSX questions i would like to be answered before i get on with fsx.

So i just want to ask some general fsx questions and some about yoke and rudder pedals to finalize me getting into fsx before buying addons and such. 

1. If anyone here has saitek pro flight yoke and rudder pedals can you please tell me what you think of the combo? i will be using the combo for mostly GA aircraft. 

2. If anyone has the saitek pro flight switch panel and uses it for the cessna 172 by a2a does it work well? such as does the magneto switch work well and the master switches. 

3. If anyone knows some good sort of small bush plane fields in Canada that is in fsx grass or pavement runways doesn't matter just a nice away from population kind of field. 

4. i want to get  REX essentials eventually and am confused if i get the REX essentials plus with overdrive can i use the control panel to change setting to make it run good on my pc? 

5. in default fsx do i have to input the frequencies into the radio to use atc window? if not is there a freeware or if i have to a payware where u have to enter the frequency into the radio to be able to contact the atc?

5. Are there any programs where you can start your own business like say taking people for touring flights, or transporting cargo from one place to another and earn money to purchase new aircraft for your fleet?

6. are there beginner vatsim like networks that will be forgiving to a complete new simmer or ones that can teach you? if not anyone have any advice on how to build up that knowledge since i will not be getting my PPL anytime soon so i figured i might as well make my simming as realistic as i can. 

7. Also i found a product (also by a2a called accu-feel if anyone owns it could you tell me what kind of improvement it is over default fsx and if it really steps up the realism and immersion is it worth the money? 

8. what would the order of installation for these products: UTX Canada, GEX North America, REX essentials plus with overdrive, a2a accu-feel?

9. (last question) if i already have one aircraft installed (vrs superbug) will that conflict with me installing scenery? 

Thank you so much to all the people who have helped me out on my other posts and who will answer these question in the future i hope to stay on this forums as i improve on fsx, Happy Flying :)

5. in default fsx do i have to input the frequencies into the radio to use atc window? if not is there a freeware or if i have to a payware where u have to enter the frequency into the radio to be able to contact the atc?

With default FSX ATC you can select an item in the ATC dialog to tune the radios, or tune the radios manually which will cause the dialog to advance to the next state.  You are not *required* to tune the radios manually, but you can, which is how I do it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

With default FSX ATC you can select an item in the ATC dialog to tune the radios, or tune the radios manually which will cause the dialog to advance to the next state.  You are not *required* to tune the radios manually, but you can, which is how I do it.

Hook

Oh ok cool that saves me from buying any addons for that thanks very much! makes me want to get a radio panel for the yoke system lol in time maybe.

On the radios, I have ATC text turned off so I have to listen for the correct frequency to tune.  I've been doing this for a couple of years.

5. Are there any programs where you can start your own business like say taking people for touring flights, or transporting cargo from one place to another and earn money to purchase new aircraft for your fleet?

http://www.fseconomy.com

7. Also i found a product (also by a2a called accu-feel if anyone owns it could you tell me what kind of improvement it is over default fsx and if it really steps up the realism and immersion is it worth the money?

I use Accu-Feel and wouldn't fly without it.  I didn't care for it when I first bought it, probably because I didn't like the effect on the plane I was flying at the time.  But I've used it for every aircraft since then.  It's well worth it, and it's not just a few sounds... read the manual.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On the radios, I have ATC text turned off so I have to listen for the correct frequency to tune.  I've been doing this for a couple of years.

http://www.fseconomy.com

I use Accu-Feel and wouldn't fly without it.  I didn't care for it when I first bought it, probably because I didn't like the effect on the plane I was flying at the time.  But I've used it for every aircraft since then.  It's well worth it, and it's not just a few sounds... read the manual.

Hook

So is fsEconomy possible for singleplayer and could i use the a2a cessna 172 with it? If not is there a addon that is like it but singleplayer since i want to start out on singleplayer where i dont mess up online for everybody to see XD, thanks for the responses you have been very helpful :)

All good questions for sure, but too many to answer in one thread imo. You could get answers to all of them very quickly with a few forum searches. Not only will you find the answers, but multiple opinions and experiences to compare and contrast.

I'll answer one though - look up FSEconomy for a hauling/passenger virtual economy app. That's what I use. Others Like AirHauler. REX has one "coming soon" as well.

3. If anyone knows some good sort of small bush plane fields in Canada that is in fsx grass or pavement runways doesn't matter just a nice away from population kind of field.

I agree about too many questions in one topic, but I'll answer one of them.  Orbx produces regions tailored to GA aircraft; a few of these regions cover a good chunk of western (and northern) Canada.  Small strips galore, most all of them upgraded significantly over what is in FSX by default.  They also offer extremely detailed small airports for many of their regions.  As well, the same company makes available on their forums packs of freeware airports, a good number of them are also located in Canada (I just contributed CYLL).  These freeware packs are designed to be used with a texture addon they sell called FTX Global (which I prefer over GEX), but possibly may be used without.

Opinions vary, but it's generally accepted that if you're really into GA, Orbx is worth checking out.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

One more vote for starting with the Orbx PNW region.. lots of small strips to practice on.

Also one more time, get the RealAir Scout as your first (or second) bush plane.

Bert

Take a look at the ORBX freeware options as well, there are some Canadian amongst them, although the majority is US. However, their sceneries are really great for bush flying.

6. are there beginner vatsim like networks that will be forgiving to a complete new simmer or ones that can teach you? if not anyone have any advice on how to build up that knowledge since i will not be getting my PPL anytime soon so i figured i might as well make my simming as realistic as i can.

I'm not completely sure, but I would suggest you take a less populated airport (so don't start your first flights at JFK or London Heathrow) on any network, and advise the controllers on your first contact that you're new and you'd like to have some training on ATC and procedures if that is not too much trouble for them.

I guess that's OK with many controllers, as long as they aren't too busy monitoring other traffic in their virtual airspace.

8. what would the order of installation for these products: UTX Canada, GEX North America, REX essentials plus with overdrive, a2a accu-feel?

In general, the installation order should not play a role, since usually you buy addons in no particular order. Most scenery addons are tested for their compatibility with addons such as UTX and GEX, so that should not be an issue either.

Since all the addons you mention do different things, you don't have to worry at all; one thing I always try to do when re-installing is that I start with the addons that cover larger areas (in your case UTX, GEX) and go down to smaller regions (e.g. local photoreal) and finally the details (airport sceneries), but that's more a habit to keep things organized, I guess.

1. If anyone here has saitek pro flight yoke and rudder pedals can you please tell me what you think of the combo? i will be using the combo for mostly GA aircraft. 

2. If anyone has the saitek pro flight switch panel and uses it for the cessna 172 by a2a does it work well? such as does the magneto switch work well and the master switches. 

9. (last question) if i already have one aircraft installed (vrs superbug) will that conflict with me installing scenery? 

1. The Saitek yoke and pedals work very well together. Never had any issues with the combination, and works very well for GA. 

2. The only thing on the Switch Panel that doesn't work by default is the alternator switch. A configuration tool comes with the A2A C172, and it allows you to get the switch working. 

5. You can, but you don't have to for most aircraft. In default and the majority of add-on aircraft, you can click on a frequency in the ATC window and it will be tuned automatically. However, for complex aircraft such as the PMDG 777, you have to input the frequency manually, because the ATC window does not support such complex radio systems. But, you can still make ATC calls through the 777 once the frequency has been entered. 

9. No aircraft conflicts with scenery. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I agree about too many questions in one topic, but I'll answer one of them.  Orbx produces regions tailored to GA aircraft; a few of these regions cover a good chunk of western (and northern) Canada.  Small strips galore, most all of them upgraded significantly over what is in FSX by default.  They also offer extremely detailed small airports for many of their regions.  As well, the same company makes available on their forums packs of freeware airports, a good number of them are also located in Canada (I just contributed CYLL).  These freeware packs are designed to be used with a texture addon they sell called FTX Global (which I prefer over GEX), but possibly may be used without.

Opinions vary, but it's generally accepted that if you're really into GA, Orbx is worth checking out.

I really dont know like i am kind of turned off by ftx global because of the large initial price tag where as gex+utx the regions are split up. But then i also want to get ftx global because of all the regions

I really dont know like i am kind of turned off by ftx global because of the large initial price tag where as gex+utx the regions are split up. But then i also want to get ftx global because of all the regions

There are two separate sets of products there, both offered by the same company:  The Orbx regions (PNW, NRM, CRM, etc) are an all-in-one package for each individual area.  Meaning that you don't need (they completely override) any other type of scenery enhancement such as UTX, GEX, or a mesh product.  The FTX series of products (FTX Global, FTX Vector) are more designed for general global wide coverage.

To be honest, for starters I'd look seriously at a single Orbx region and go from there.  Any one of their regions have enough scenic flying to do to keep a person interested for a long, long time.  Since you mentioned Canada, either PFJ or NRM may be of interest, but PNW would be a good start as well.  NRM is great for a lot of small strips in very unpopulated places, with a few really good freeware airports on offer by them for the area.

In terms of cost effectiveness, a single Orbx region goes a long way for GA flying.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

There are two separate sets of products there, both offered by the same company:  The Orbx regions (PNW, NRM, CRM, etc) are an all-in-one package for each individual area.  Meaning that you don't need (they completely override) any other type of scenery enhancement such as UTX, GEX, or a mesh product.  The FTX series of products (FTX Global, FTX Vector) are more designed for general global wide coverage.

To be honest, for starters I'd look seriously at a single Orbx region and go from there.  Any one of their regions have enough scenic flying to do to keep a person interested for a long, long time.  Since you mentioned Canada, either PFJ or NRM may be of interest, but PNW would be a good start as well.  NRM is great for a lot of small strips in very unpopulated places, with a few really good freeware airports on offer by them for the area.

In terms of cost effectiveness, a single Orbx region goes a long way for GA flying.

Ok thank you sir i think i will go with your advice get the NRM ORBX to start then add some airports if i want to then when i get into longer trips i will get ftx global. One quick question though once i get ftx global will my rocky mountain region stay there/look the same once ftx global is installed?

You regret your decision.. I have GEX as well.. but also have Orbx PNW and they are fine together.. when I fly my home town area.. GEX works fine.. and the PNW is great for scenary.. there's also a few free grass airfields that you can download for it.. Orbx has lots of sales.. so just keep an eye out.. I have PNW and I think Rocky's.. the area just East...

I too did not want to pay the 100 dollar price tag for Global.. and I am glad I just got GEX North America..

I also have a few of the pay airports (all bought on sale) and of course all the free ones

Ok thank you sir i think i will go with your advice get the NRM ORBX to start then add some airports if i want to then when i get into longer trips i will get ftx global. One quick question though once i get ftx global will my rocky mountain region stay there/look the same once ftx global is installed?

Keep in mind that NRM does not have as many payware airports available for it as PNW does.  However, since I live in the area covered by NRM I probably do 2/3 of my GA flying in it, and you mentioned wanting Canada, it was my recommendation.  Orbx offers two brilliant full featured freeware airports for NRM as well: CEN4 and CEJ4.

FTXG (or even GEX/UTX for that matter) play very well with the regions.  The regions 'sit on top' of all of your other scenery addons and basically hide everything else.  If you decide to get FTX Global down the road, it has absolutely no effect on any regions you have installed.  In the Orbx configuration software, there's the option of turning the regions on or off, plus there's a 'hybrid' option that allows you to fly in and out of regions into FTX Global without any issues whatsoever.

Also, on the Orbx front page there's links to three different freeware sceneries: Tasmania & the Olympic Peninsula for samples of regions, and Iceland for a sample of FTX Global (+ other enhancements).

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.