Sign in to follow this  
leftseatguy

737ngx panning cockpit views not smooth

I have recently installed PMDG 737ngx 800/900 and FS X. My pc is not the fastest, but at the moment it is just about ok with FSX. My problem is that when I try and pan across the (virtual) cockpit view, or up and down, using the top hat switch on the yoke, the view changes in fairly large jumps. With the 737ng 600/700 running with fs9, the pan is smooth.

I have tried reducing the scenery demands to achieve a better frame rate, but that seems to have no effect. Could someone please help? Thanks.

try looking in the settings part of EZCA.there are some buttons that change the way it pans.

try changing it between 3dgame,walk,pan and float.see if that helps smooth it out.

steve

In PMDG setting, in the the FMC, there are settings to turn off the copilots displays, fmc ect, and also, have you ran the performance manager to lower the resolution on displays and stuff to lower the strain?

This can help alot.

Also, somwere in the PMDG FMC settings, you can change the refresh rate for your displays.Again this should help.

Luke Pype

Thanks, guys

re: SAX702's question,

Not had a chance to try first two replies, but I just checked and found that using the mouse and left spacebar, panning works correctly as long as I don't move the mouse too quickly . I also found that I didn't have to press the left mouse button, it still worked. The hat switch moves the view in steps of about 90 degress each time it's pressed. I am using the lowest available screen resolution and have reduced most of the other parameters that can affect the frame rate.

Steve,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is EZCA and how do I get to it?

MaDDogz,

Thanks for your input, I will try and investigate as you suggest.

Anybody else got any bright ideas?

I played around with the panrates as suggested, but no effect. Top hat switch only moves the display in big jumps, both for default aircraft and PMDG 737ngx.

The only other thing I can think of is that the FSX I installed was an early version so I had to instal PS1 and PS2 from MS before it would allow me to instal the 737ngx. Thanks anywy to you, SAX702.

So what's your frame rate?

Slow frame rate will always be visually more disturbing in the VC, than with an exterior view.

Martin, having made some changes to try and reduce the demands on frame rate, I get about 7.4 frames per second with a target of 15. My pc uses dual processors (Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz and my RAM is 2 GB (which I think is really not enough). The display adaptor is RADEON X600 series (dual).

I have been wondering if the problem is due to something in FSX, which is not assigning my top hat switch to the pan function, but to some sort of change view function instead. I also have fs9 (in a separate directory) and have PMDG737NG installed. This works fine, and the top hat switch does pan the view correctly.

Cheers, Dennis

I also have fs9 (in a separate directory) and have PMDG737NG installed. This works fine, and the top hat switch does pan the view correctly.

As he says there is no way you are going to get smooth panning at 7.4 FPS.

What frame rate do you get in fs9 with the 737NG?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi gboz,

On fs9 with PMDG373NG my frame rate is locked at 25fps, It also shows another rate which seems to vary between 8 and 20, depending on what's going on (plane static or moving, I think).

My yolk hat switch does actually pan the view in fs9 but in quite small steps, so its not really smooth, as I think I suggested earlier.

I realise that 7.4 is really not enough for fsX and PMDG737ngx, but I am struggling to decide what is limiting it. I have played around with most of the settings but nothing seems to make much difference. Is it my processor, RAM, or display driver?  

Martin, having made some changes to try and reduce the demands on frame rate, I get about 7.4 frames per second with a target of 15. My pc uses dual processors (Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz and my RAM is 2 GB (which I think is really not enough). The display adaptor is RADEON X600 series (dual).

I have been wondering if the problem is due to something in FSX, which is not assigning my top hat switch to the pan function, but to some sort of change view function instead. I also have fs9 (in a separate directory) and have PMDG737NG installed. This works fine, and the top hat switch does pan the view correctly.

Cheers, Dennis

Martin, having made some changes to try and reduce the demands on frame rate, I get about 7.4 frames per second with a target of 15.

Given my previous comment, that panning always looks less acceptable in the VC, for a given frame rate... I'm not surprised in the least you are having issues at only 7 frames per second.

I'm not even satisfied with the VC in the high twenties. I prefer 30 plus in the VC. Luckily for me I get that and more.

This may sound counterintuitive, but do try with absolutely no frame rate lock. No internal lock and no external lock.

Many of us find unlimited frame rate far superior. Might not work for you, given your less than powerful system, but try it just in case.

Martin,

Many thanks for your input. I will try to do what you suggest, but I think I am fighting a bit of a loosing battle with the setup I've got here. My computer is now 9 years old and its getting a bit sluggish anyway I am beginning to seriously consider investing in a new machine which I hope will more than match the demands of FSX and PMDG NGX. If you could perhaps give me some ideas on what you might recommend in terms of types of processor, video card, memory etc I would really appreciate it.

In the meantime I am plodding on with the NGX and in spite of the frame rate, really enjoying the extra detail, when compared to the NG versions.

By the way, how do I get to the frame rate lock and target rate options?

Best regards,

Dennis

Hit settings on the left
Customize
And it's on the first screen you see.

While you are there. Set all of the demanding settings low. E.G. Traffic, bloom off, cars off, etc. Best to set everything as low as possible, and then test. Nudge settings up until you achieve a frame rate you deem acceptable. This will be the max you can push your system.

Don't forget you AA settings. If you antialiasing is too high your frame rate will be impacted.

Important... in the NGX the refresh rates have a big impact. make sure you set them to 15 or less.

In the CDU...

PMDG set up

Options

Performance

Now set all refresh rates to 15 or less, should be 8 of them. Set lower if it helps.