Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Have to do something to FSX when upgrading computer?

Hi, next week I am going to upgrade my computer, by replacing motherboard, cpu, video card and RAM. The hard disk and software (Windows 7, FSX, etc.) remain unchanged. Will FSX automatically recognize the new graphics card and modify FSX.cfg accordingly , or will I have to do some manual changes?

Thank you.

James Goggi

You'll have to re-install Windows... and re-install FSX (on the C: drive).

This will give you a new fsx.cfg file.

If you have an existing separate hard disk for FSX,  you can start up FSX from your old disk and it will work..

Run the Flight1 Registry Fix tool to set the FSX location to your old drive.

If it all works, you can delete the FSX folder on your C: drive at the end.

Bert

You'll have to re-install Windows... and re-install FSX (on the C: drive).

This will give you a new fsx.cfg file.

If you have an existing separate hard disk for FSX,  you can start up FSX from your old disk and it will work..

Run the Flight1 Registry Fix tool to set the FSX location to your old drive.

If it all works, you can delete the FSX folder on your C: drive at the end.

Looks like he said he's keeping the HDD with Windows 7 and FSX installed on it and replacing

other key components.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

AFAIK you cannot just boot up Windows with a new motherboard,CPU,RAM, and GPU and expect it to work..

Bert

AFAIK you cannot just boot up Windows with a new motherboard,CPU,RAM, and GPU and expect it to work..

Thanks, that's good to know!  Hope the OP notices that!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi, next week I am going to upgrade my computer, by replacing motherboard, cpu, video card and RAM. The hard disk and software (Windows 7, FSX, etc.) remain unchanged. Will FSX automatically recognize the new graphics card and modify FSX.cfg accordingly , or will I have to do some manual changes?

Thank you.

Re-format the hard disk, then re-install Windows and FSX.

I have recently upgraded my Motherboard and CPU no problems (win 7) with reboot after the hardware install. Of course you will need to install any new drivers that the mother board requires. You may also need to re-activate FSX and maybe other software that you have installed. But this sure beats starting from scratch for no reason.

If you can, take an image of your current Systems drive for insurance.  

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

This isn't totally true.

You can (and I have several times) change major hardware and keep the same HDD with OS. But it can be tricky and for most people, the safe thing to do is a fresh install of OS and programs/games.

Thanks for your replies. I have 2 hard disks, one with Win 7 and the second one with FS. They will remain. In fact, I don't see why I have to reinstall, I suppose only the video drivers, considering that the card is different. If I had to reinstall FS it would be the end,  with all addons it would take months... Anyway I will ask the shop where they will upgrade my computer, if I need to reinstall Windows and/or FS I think I will keep on with my present computer...

James Goggi

No need to re-install all your FSX stuff, but I would re-install Win 7.

If you can avoid that, even better  ^_^

Then, as I mentioned above, do a token install of FSX to get all the cfg files set up,

before switching back to your existing FSX install.

Bert

And if you re-install your OS, then you need to re-install FSX and then you can restore FSX from a backup.

My FSX.EXE is dated 17/11/2008. The last time I reinstalled it was when I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista and I can assure you that I have upgraded my Motherboard and CPU several times since then (the last time less than 2 months ago). I have never had to re-install Windows 7 nor FSX. However, I have always, and would still, take the precaution of backing up my total system before the upgrade adventure begins. 

If you succeed with the upgrade and boot into Windows successfully then the first order of business is to install the new motherboard drivers. Once that is completed you can try FSX out. Be warned that a CPU or System storage device (i.e. device containing your operating system)  change will cause MS products to demand reactivation.

In the worst case you would have to reinstall Windows and FSX so why not try the easier path first, if it doesn't work then you can always revert to a complete re-install. So what have you got to lose by trying? 

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

SAme here. just imaged my old c drive. and up and running again. FSX was originaly on c, moved to another drive, than upgrede drive, now its on a SSD, went through 3 amd CPUs now on intel, still same install. Easiest way to upgrde is to instlla disks than use win 7 disk to do upgrade it will keep all or most of you programmes, you than end up with a fresh win7 install and dont need to reinstall FSX, did that few months ago when i replaved my AMD setup with intel..