Sign in to follow this  
tkellogg

Unable to Load My Traffic for P3D Version 2.3 with Windows 8.1

I am presently unable to complete the installation of My traffic. I have installed P3D Version 2.3 on my C drive. Then I tried to install My Traffic as administrator. Rather than locating the correct file on its own, I had to browse to find the file. I instructed it to install using the following path. C:\Program Flies (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2. The first part of the installation went fine.

On the second part of the installation after loading all of the aircraft the Traffic communicator appears and I follow the two steps instructed in your manual,  I get the following message:

Unhandled exception error;  Could not find a part of the path C:\Users\Flight.0000\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin

I then tried to see if I could find that entire path and I was able to find that path with Prepar3d at the end i.e,

C:\Users\Flight.0000\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2

I noticed that when I go to browse for the folder to install My Traffic in the first part of the path it takes me to is Flight.0000 so I tried to use the above pathway to install, i.e the C;\Users\Flight.000\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin. No matter what I try I am unable to complete the installation. I was running P3D just fine with version 2.3 and Windows 7. It was only when I installed windows 8.1 was I then unable to install My Traffic.

I also would like to know does P3D have to be installed in the Program files (x86) of the c drive in order for My Traffic to work? I prefer to install P3D on a different drive then my operating system. P3D works just fine on my d:/ drive with windows 8.1 on my c:\ drive but unable to load My Traffic on the d:\ drive as well. I love your product and think it adds tremendously to the immersion factor. I really miss not having it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I had this problem when I first started trying to install in Version 2.2 but somehow I was able to solve it. I just don't remember how.

tkellogg,

NO - P3D is installed in your "root of C:\"  - or on another drive.  Too many administrative rights and violations if installed in the programs folder.

MyTraffic is installed in the root folder of Lockheed Martin\Prepar 3D v2.....

IMHO, sounds like you have it installed in the wrong place.

There is a much easier way of installing MyTraffic into P3D....install it into FSX, and then copy over the entire MyTraffic Folder into the root of P3D. Then, from the FSX.cfg file...copy over into the P3D.cfg file...the MyTraffic entry in the SimObjects lists, with the only modification, that the number be changed to that of a sequential one...that is all...then press save. Then....and finally, fire up P3D...you will get an intitial message that MyTraffic could not be found. Ignore that...and continue to full load. When you are stable at an airport, go to the Scenery Library, and then use the ADD feature to find your root MyTraffic Folder...and then press apply...you will then see that the MyTraffic Folder is now added to your Scenery Lib. Then...bring it down to just above Propeller Objects...and then pess APPLY...or save, whatever....and your Scenery Lib will rebuld....and you will soon have MyTraffic  A.I. at your chosen airport...via the traffic slider sections. You need to know that the slider injection rate is much softer than FSX...and you need truly, a minium of 35 percent on the Commercial slider to see flight plan controlled A.I. start to move. You also have to allow a few moments for action....departing, and arriving....this can take anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes, sim time.....that is a function of both P3D and even FSX. 

Ok guys I need some more guidance. I tried both suggestions and neither worked but I believe I know the problem. I have tried copying and installing P3D to both c and d drive as well as into program 86 files and no success. What I have discovered is I am missing the Lockheed Martin folder. P3D not shows up after C\,, i.e. C:\P3D rather than C:\Lockheed Martin\P3D. I don't understand what happened to the Lockheed Martin file. Could it be a problem with Windows 8.1? Could my download be corrupted? I believe this is why MyTraffic could not find the path; C;\Users\Flight.000\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin to  run Traffic Controller and complete the install. Anyone else experience this? I am open to suggestions. P3D works well in either drive even when loaded into the program flies, but without the Lockheed Martin folder I don't believe I can successfully load My traffic.

I would say that you messed up your P3D v2.3 installation, that's why the path can't be located. The registry has a flaw. Try to clear up the mess, run a registry cleaner, uninstall P3D v2 if you can and do a clean installation.

Don't install into the program files (x86) folder. This folder has special Windows safety protections and can make a lot of problems with some addons and the FS itself. Easy way is something like this D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

By the way what do you mean with this statement? I guess that's the crux.

I have tried copying and installing P3D to both c and d drive as well as into program 86 files and no success.

It's for sure NOT a Windows 8.1 problem.

Spirit

Ok... Program Files (x86) isn't that protected. I install to it and have zero, please read that again... zero issues with using Prepar3D.

If you have an addon that can not run in that location, it's the addon that is at fault and you should require it to be corrected or not use it. Simple as that.

No software should need admin rights. None.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No software should need admin rights. None.

That's the theory but unfortunately the reality looks different.

Spirit

That's the theory but unfortunately the reality looks different.

Spirit

As a software developer... I can assure you the 'reality' is in fact no such thing. The reason addon software is causing problems is because it's written in a manner that violates the security rules of the OS.

Any software written in that manner is also capable of doing whatever it pleases to your computer system if you give it the access (admin).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

.... The reason addon software is causing problems is because it's written in a manner that violates the security rules of the OS.

With all respect but don't you agree that exactly this is the reality?

The PC world (reality) isn't perfect so it's better to be aware of and take precautions. You may develop your software in the best style of art but what should we do with the other add-ons? Avoid using them? Everybody wants a FS which is working fine, so why NOT avoid to install the stuff into this special folder?

Do you have knowledge of REX manuals and what they recommend urgently?

I don't care so much about your safety concerns because it's me who control the PC and not Microsoft. I know very well, that I don't control it at all but I don't want have a system which is protected of me!

I'll go on recommending NOT to use this program files (x86) folder for FS and its add-ons.

Spirit

Ed Wilson (WarpD) is 100% correct about C:\Program Files (x86), but its doesn't hurt anything to install FSX or P3D to some other subfolder off of the root on drive C:. 

That said, it is a good practice to install your flight sims on a separate drive from the OS system drive. Thus, the whole "issue" is irrelevant unless you can't afford the cash for either a separate HDD or SSD.

Ok thanks for the advice. I installed as directed above and it appears as if everything installed properly, however when I get to the traffic Communicator and try to add aircraft it says they are already installed so I click save and closeout. But still no airplanes even when adding My traffic to the scenery file and sliders adjusted to see aircraft. In fact I am not seing any traffic at all, even default airplanes.

I have the same problem on ths installation of My Traffic, as well another addon.

For My Traffic, during the installation, it generates na error sayin: Scenery.exe sttoped working.

After this, the installation is finished, but when opening the My Traffic Communicator, it says we need to open Manage Prepar3D.cfg, and click on green buttom "add my traffic". But the problem is when clickn on Manage Prepar3D.cfg, the following error message comes:

Not possible to find part of the Way: C:\users\i7\App Data\Roaming\Lockheed

I don´t know what to do. May I have some help please?