Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Airbus plans virtual cockpit experience

I remember reading something about how decades ago they debuted an exterior camera for all the passengers on some American aircraft and very early on it was featured on an aircraft that did a very steep nosedive after takeoff so I think they removed the system from use after it became apparent that the last thing all the passengers saw was probably the ground rushing straight at them.

I wonder if their new system would involve an automatic cutoff in the event of an abnormal attitude to avoid a similar situation.

reading that article it may not even get off the ground, pardon the pun

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

oh gaaad!

I hope I dont see this in my lifetime!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Ask yourself if you would be happy being filmed on your job.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Flying Frontier once they allow you to see airspeed, alt, etc.

However, only at cruise altitude.

Um...they are recorded and every move of the plane is recorded. Though those recordings only come to light in a disaster.

Homeland Security in the US would never allow it's use! By definition to get it's flight data, would require connection to the main systems of the aircraft. Something the DHS would not allow because of the possibility of a hacker gaining access. Remember DHS made Boeing redesign their entertainment system on the 787 because it wasn't isolated from the main systems, causing one of it's delays.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Homeland Security in the US would never allow it's use! By definition to get it's flight data, would require connection to the main systems of the aircraft. Something the DHS would not allow because of the possibility of a hacker gaining access. Remember DHS made Boeing redesign their entertainment system on the 787 because it wasn't isolated from the main systems, causing one of it's delays.

So why doesn't this mean that all airline ACARS systems aren't huge security risks?

It could be allowed, just not EVERY single detail. As I've stated, I've been on an airline where the entertainment system would tell you airspeed and altitude, with a map of where you are. Those stats could be grabbed from other sources not directly connected to the airplane (maybe GPS). But access to entire flight data? Errr...probably not. And in a way, that may be boring.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of segment where you see the cockpit via video feed. That's it. No direct stats needed. That's probably what the general public would be interested in.

Or you could even do some kind of introduction segment where the pilots tell you things. Sort of a live video tour.

You should have been around when BALPA "British Airline Pilots Assoc" objected to installation of CVRs

I really don't see what all the fuss is about? At the moment plenty of airlines provide a live video feed of the aircraft externally along with the OAT, airspeed, ground speed & windspeed.

Airbus seems to be moving to the next logical step in passenger entertainment.

Regarding privacy for the flight crew, anyone here ever heard of a QAR? Data is not only accesed after a disaster.

Rob Prest

I really don't see what all the fuss is about? At the moment plenty of airlines provide a live video feed of the aircraft externally along with the OAT, airspeed, ground speed & windspeed.

Airbus seems to be moving to the next logical step in passenger entertainment.

Regarding privacy for the flight crew, anyone here ever heard of a QAR? Data is not only accesed after a disaster.

To the best of my knowledge a QAR only records flight data, not any recordings of the pilots (although you can of course see in the recordings what commands they were giving the plane). Currently only the pilots' voices are recorded, and that happens on the CVR, which is only accessed after an accident, and in most countries there are strict laws about who is allowed access to those recordings, and for what purpose they can be used.

Hi John,

Correct, access to the CVR after a 'minor incident' depends on the country involved. My comment was geared towards Nathan. I assume he is talking about CVR and FDR.  As you know , Airlines normally only require the QAR to find out what the flight crew did to screw up after a minor incident.

Um...they are recorded and every move of the plane is recorded. Though those recordings only come to light in a disaster.

Rob Prest

Who's naive enough to think that in this day and age we aren't all being filmed at at least our work places? Between security cameras and paranoid managers I doubt I could get away with much without there being something to catch it these days.