Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Gol & Varig ... I am a bit confused

I've been reading up on Gol & Varig, including the Wikipedia article, but am still not clear on one point. Maybe someone can advise..

Do Gol still fly any flights with the Varig name and/or logo on the aircraft (presumably the new logo with orange in it), or are all flights now under the 'Gol Transportes Aéreos' name and livery?

In other words, do any a/c flying now carry the word 'Varig' on the fuselage? If so, which aircraft are still being flown under the Varig name? As far as I can see, Gol have only 737-700s & -800s?

Thanks,

Martin

Just posting a 'bump' as the forum shows that zero people have even looked at this post. Could be, I suppose, but usually someone at least reads the threads here within the first few hours, even if no one replies.

So just testing by posting a reply to my own post - or maybe something is wrong??

M.

Maybe no one knows? Try doing an image search for Varig airliners, perhaps with a date attached?

Yes, Gol still uses Varig callsign for some flights, but only a minority of the fleet have Varig livery. Now you can take a Gol callsign with Varig aircraft, and vice-versa.

In the end of the day it's all Gol. The good old Varig doesn't exist anymore.

Mauricio Brentano

Martin,

Unfortunately, Gol doesn't operate any flights with Varig's call sign anymore. Untill late 2013 I use to see from my window, some planes still painted with new Varig's colours about to land at my city airport, but nowadays is very difficult to see a B 737 NG in its colours. As far as I'm aware, Gol has plains to repaint all Varig's planes in its colours.

Which is very, very sad.

Thanks. (I did exactly that Mithras, but it didn't really prove anything. I only posted my own reply as the thread was, oddly, stuck on zero people reading it - zero people replying is OK, but no one even looking at it was odd. Seems to have cleared now).

Thanks for the replies.... Pity about the Varig livery. The Gol/Varig colours were nice! If anyone sees, or is aware of, any a/c with 'Varig' still written on the fuselage, I'd be interested to know.

M.

Elimar is right. I'm outdated a bit lol. :blush: Sorry.

From Wikipedia: "In June 2009, "new" Varig ceased to operate its own flights and started to use Gol's flight numbers."

Funnily enough, the airline (Gol) company name is "VRG Linhas Aéreas S/A".

Mauricio Brentano

Elimar is right. I'm outdated a bit lol. :blush: Sorry.

From Wikipedia: "In June 2009, "new" Varig ceased to operate its own flights and started to use Gol's flight numbers."

I don't think so. I have a national/domestic flight planned in December and my flight number is a VARIG flight number.

Anywho, I really miss the actual VARIG airline. They were great. It's easy to see why they ceased operations. Every passenger class got metal silverware, blankets, extra food, pillows, etc. and guess what people ######ing did? Steal them.

Families of VARIG staff also got free tickets. My mother's uncle was a pilot with them and he let her fly for free with him MANY times. Oh and they used to fly from Brazil to Liberia (?????????), Thailand, Lebanon, Alaska (??????).... They flew routes that most of the time were just empty. (Although these routes made no sense back then, I can see them functioning in our world today.) You can see the other stupid routes they flew here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_destinations#Africa.5B2.5D

So sad. They were a great airline. I flew many times with them when I was younger.

Edited by linux731