Sign in to follow this  
737ngx99

Rex4 Clouds very bad perfomance.

Hi guys!

I bought Rex 4 Texture Direct and i have experienced very low performance on the clouds, my TEXTURE MAX LOAD is set to 4096 but its still very bad.

Do anyone have clue what the problem might be, i got ASN but i have tried to disabled it and looked if it did any change but it didnt. I use DX10.

a little screenshot what my REX settings are and the clouds: http://gyazo.com/1cb9803bbda359187ce348f31f7c3fd9

http://gyazo.com/29de87a6f5876ce7884daef4d5e2a376

Thanks guys!

/Jacob

Posting your computer specs would help us also!

Sure here it is:

• Windows 8.1 64 bit
  • i5 4670k OC @ 4.2 Ghz
  • 2 Gb GTX 660Ti Direct Ull
  • Asus Z87-A Motherboard
  • 16Gb RAM
  • 3TB HDD and 120Gb SSD
  • Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler

Try the 1024 or 512 clouds.  I decided to just try the 512 clouds and honestly could not tell the difference.

Tried that didnt make any different :/

Thanks for the help

best bet is to post in the rex forum where you will get  the best advice

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I bought Rex 4 Texture Direct and i have experienced very low performance on the clouds, my TEXTURE MAX LOAD is set to 4096 but its still very bad.

No help here, but just to sympathize with you, I experienced the same unacceptable result on a new high-spec gaming PC I just paid OriginPC over $7K for.  My conclusion is that the performance hit with Rex is not worth the effort.  I'm unwilling to dumb all the settings down to compensate, so, Rex is not part of my simming experience any more.  And frankly, IMO, the stock Prepar3d clouds aren't all that bad.

There has to be something more going on here i think, I have my textures in all layers set to 1024 resolution and have ASN cloud layers at 20 the highest setting and also, REX 4 HD isn't just the problem racklefratz there has to be a setting causing it, I paid $2800 for a new system 2 months ago and i am running REX 4 HD, ASN, FTX Au Regions, FTX Au Airports, Ultimate traffic 2 and have all my sliders set to FTX recommended settings and flying the PMDG 737 NGX and i dont see below 25FPS the min i will get down too even at a add on airport is 20fps

I have Steve DX 10 fixer installed was the lucky one to purchase it and did alot of hours and test flying with changing the FSX.CFG and Nvidia inspector settings and the performance im getting is amazing

My PC Specs

I7 4790K OC 4.5ghz on 4 cores hyper threading off

H105 Liquid cooler

Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard

GTX 780 3gig 

2 x 4 gig DDR3 Memory 2400mhz

Samsung 840 series SSD 250gig

850 Watt power supply

Thermotlke case

I have a video on Flight Simulator X fans page on facebook showing FPS

Matt 

4096 cloud textures, to me, are overkill and produce unecessary drain on system resources.   Like the other poster, I moved to 512 resolution clouds and actually prefer it because it removes the hard edge on the clouds and makes them look more like.. well.. clouds.    I run ASN with 5 layers, maximum coverage and detail clouds checked and get great performance in even bad weather now.   Of course I am using P3D with the cloud fix but I used Rex with FSX also when I was playing FSX and didn't suffer all that much under DX10.   There must be more to this than just REX.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

4096 cloud textures, to me, are overkill and produce unecessary drain on system resources

Exactly

Rich Sennett

I take a pretty good hit under cloudy conditions, my setting are dumbed down quite a bit, I run 3 layers at 512 and can drop into the mid to high teens.

I fly A2A/Carabeo in Orbx with ASN 6-layers and REX4 2048 textures. Clouds are never a problem on my i73930 + GTX680. Autogen and traffic can be a killer though.

Hit the REX support forums. Good luck.

Hit the REX support forums. Good luck.

Should be the first port of  call if you have issues with rex :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You guys are probably right - it's likely in the setting(s) somewhere.  I guess I just don't have the patience anymore to be futzing around with settings all the time.  ;)   I HAVE fooled around with them, but it's not going to become an obsession.  Maybe I'll try once more with lower resolution clouds. 

Pretty sure it's not hardware - my OriginPC Millenium is running 3 OC GTX780 Ti s in SLI, although I think I understand correctly that FSX and p3D don't see SLI, which is galling, IMO.  But, other system specs here are ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black mobo/Core i7 4930 6 core-12 thread liq cooled and OC 4.4Ghz/32GB RAM/EVGA 1.3KW PSU, running sims on a SSD.

I do tend to push the sliders pretty far to the right  - one 780Ti alone is vastly superior to the hardware we were using when FSX first came out, and I expect it to work for it's living.  Performance is OK, but not stellar.  Long as it's flyable, I'll accept it.

You guys are probably right - it's likely in the setting(s) somewhere.  I guess I just don't have the patience anymore to be futzing around with settings all the time.  ;)   I HAVE fooled around with them, but it's not going to become an obsession.  Maybe I'll try once more with lower resolution clouds. 

Pretty sure it's not hardware - my OriginPC Millenium is running 3 OC GTX780 Ti s in SLI, although I think I understand correctly that FSX and p3D don't see SLI, which is galling, IMO.  But, other system specs here are ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black mobo/Core i7 4930 6 core-12 thread liq cooled and OC 4.4Ghz/32GB RAM/EVGA 1.3KW PSU, running sims on a SSD.

I do tend to push the sliders pretty far to the right  - one 780Ti alone is vastly superior to the hardware we were using when FSX first came out, and I expect it to work for it's living.  Performance is OK, but not stellar.  Long as it's flyable, I'll accept it.

Definitely something wrong.    I am telling you though, don't go over 1024 resolution textures and also set your draw distance to a realistic human eye seeing level.   I run my ASN with 70 mile minimum and maximum cloud draw distance, 5 layers total, with visibility set to 15 miles max on the surface and 73 miles at altitude.   This is what the human eye is capable of in real life in most conditions.   The realism, to me, goes up big time with the look of the simulation outside my cockpit.  It feels more real to me and less like a computer simulator, not to mention the huge boost I get with rendering because all that terrain and autogen is being hidden in the haze layer.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy