Sign in to follow this  
Stephan Koenig

Since Service Pack 1 the rudder is centered

Hey guys, since sp1 the rudder of the T7 (Both 200LR and 300ER) are always centered, even in cold & dark without any hydraulic system on. It does move correctly though, when hydraulics are turned on... I'm I missing something there, or did I just detect a bug?

What are the winds on the ramp?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Hey guys, since sp1 the rudder of the T7 (Both 200LR and 300ER) are always centered, even in cold & dark without any hydraulic system on. It does move correctly though, when hydraulics are turned on... I'm I missing something there, or did I just detect a bug?

Yes I've noticed the same thing. Wasn't sure if I had a corrupt panel state, but even with the default PMDG Panels the rudder always stays centered on shut down.

What are the winds on the ramp?

I'm pretty sure it's not that accurately simulated. I'm not sure even on a real 777 how much wind it would take to keep a rudder centred on the ramp even without any hydraulic pressure.

That's just it... It doesn't take ANY wind to keep the rudder centered, but it does take SOME wind (surprisingly little) to move the rudder from one side to the other.

The rudder moves with the wind, because there's no hydraulic pressure to keep it in place, it doesn't "just" move when you power down the hydraulics. Not in real life, not in the sim.

That's just it... It doesn't take ANY wind to keep the rudder centered, but it does take SOME wind (surprisingly little) to move the rudder from one side to the other.

The rudder moves with the wind, because there's no hydraulic pressure to keep it in place, it doesn't "just" move when you power down the hydraulics. Not in real life, not in the sim.

So are you saying that before SP1 it was incorrect behaviour to see the rudder move to one side when the hydraulic pressure was shut off and it's now modelled correctly?

It's just that I've seen real life 777 ( and other aircraft)with the rudder to one side on the ramp on a day with pretty much calm wind. Obviously the hydraulics are switched off, so why are their rudders not centred and not to one side?

So are you saying that before SP1 it was incorrect behaviour to see the rudder move to one side when the hydraulic pressure was shut off and it's now modelled correctly?

No, that's not what I said. The rudder does not move by itself, it needs wind to push it one way or the other. So yes, it is "that accurately simulated".

I can think of at least a few flights post-SP1b where the rudder did act as a wind vane on my sim.

In fact, just to humour you, some shots from 5 minutes ago. Hydraulics off, of course.

Wind was 330/12 at OMDB. I only used the slew tool to turn the aircraft, and watch the rudder function as a weather vane.

The aircraft is turned at 300 degrees, 330 degrees and 360 degrees respectively.

kKZipM.jpg

As far as I know, the rudder wasn't even touched between RTM and SP1/SP1b.

Sounds more like a coincidence of weather to me.  Dial up the wind.  Park so that it's a crosswind.  Kill the hyd.  You'll see it.

Kyle Rodgers

Hm, but I can notice that before SP1, it's always been to the left when not pressurized. 

But I will investigate with the wind as stated earlier in this thread. 

You where right... It's amazing how deep this is all simulated... :D 

Edited by Thaddel

Hm, but I can notice that before SP1, it's always been to the left when not pressurized. 

The human memory is a funny thing...

I've definitely seen it to the right before - pre-SP1 and post SP1.

I can notice that, before this week, IAD has "always" been in south ops.

...but that's because it's more noticeable, as they fly lower over my office building.  Departures (north ops) fly higher over the building and more diverse tracks, so they're not as noticeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_errors

(Specifically "false memories" and "problem of bias")

Kyle Rodgers

People really have hawk eyes..i just take my 777 for a drive..i dont check if my aircraft even has a rudder or not..Faith..haha..kudos to all you guys who are studying it in depth..love it..

People really have hawk eyes.

Ha, also I noticed a while ago that the rudder move nicely according to the wind direction. 

The rudder is even waving slighty in little wind direction changes. 

Recognising stuff like this over the time is the joy of flying PMDG add-ons! 

:Idea:  :Applause:   :Big Grin:

Edited by 19AB67

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

That was coincidence on my side, because I've reinstalled FSX and Windows completely, and just wanted to make sure everything works as supposed... :P

A bit overkill and quite unnecessary but glad you got it sorted