Sign in to follow this  
zinny

FSUIPC settings for Mindstar GNS 530 in P3D 2.3

Still considering purchase with a few more questions.

With RealityXP GNS 530 it had the ability to set a keyboard shortcut to all functions and place them into RealityXP ini file.

This enable a person to assign any key to for example the power button, you then take this into FSUIPC .

I have a dedicated  GNS503 module which I would then use these keyboard shortcuts to assign my buttons to a function.

Does Mindstar have keyboard shortcut section also that allows this procedure to happen. I do not use the screen in the VC plane but instead the seperate module in my cockpit panel.

Or does Mindstar have another procedure to do the same?

Thankyou

In case it helps further, I contact EMUTEQ to ask if their Garmin 430/530 hardware currently being used with the RealityXP software, could be adapted to use the MindStar software, and they replied yes it could, instruction below.

Excellent customer support from EMUTEQ

I've purchased the Mindstar software this morning, and will try and getting it running in the next day or 2. It will be great to have a Garmin with a current database.

Eugene

Here's what they said (written for FSX, but I think the principles still apply).

There are three steps to install the emuteq GNS530 hardware to work with the 

Mindstar Software.

1. We have to map the buttons on the GNS530 to key presses in FSUIPC4

2. We have to modify the GNS.INI file to map the key presses to the software functions of the Mindstar software.

3. We have to modify the panel.cfg file for each aircraft to hide the border and size the gauge to fit on the LCD display.

Firstly modify, FSUIPC4.INI 

In order to map the keys you will need a registered copy of FSUIPC from Pete Dowson. 

Input Assignments-

Copy and paste the buttons section below into your FSUIPC4.INI file to define the button presses.

The number after the P or the R in the below example is "0"

Change this letter "0" to correspond with the correct joystick number that is recognised in FSUIPC, this will depend on how many devices you have already attached.

To find out the joystick number, plug the GNS530 into the USB port and start FS.  from the Add-ons menu select FSUIPC and then go to the button/keys tab.  Pressing any key on the GNS30 will show you which joystick number is assigned. 

The file is usually located here:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules

FSUIPC4.INI CHANGES

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,10

1=P0,12,K81,40

4=P0,13,K87,40

7=P0,7,K75,40

8=P0,6,K74,40

9=P0,5,K76,11

10=P0,4,K117,40

11=P0,14,K78,40

12=P0,16,K53,11

13=P0,17,K86,40

14=P0,18,K79,11

15=P0,19,K65,40

16=P0,20,K67,40

17=P0,21,K113,40xxxxxxe

18=P0,10,K119,40

19=P0,11,K79,40

20=P0,8,K82,11

21=P0,9,K78,11

22=P0,15,K122,40

23=R0,27,K72,40

24=R0,26,K73,40

25=P0,25,K114,40

26=P0,24,K36,12

27=R0,23,K116,40

28=P0,22,K77,11

29=P0,29,K188,40

Secondly modify, GNS.INI 

Each button press or encoder click is recognised by windows game controller software as a joystick button input from the GNS530.

The Mindstar software must be configured to recognize these key strokes and mapped to the various functions of the software. This is assigned in the Mindstar GNS.INI file. 

In the [KEYBOARD] section of the ini file, the keys for the 530 should be as below.  Copy and paste over the top of the original keys which are not defined.

The file is usually located here for Windows XP:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mindstar\Flight Simulator Addons

GNS.INI CHANGES

[KEYBOARD]

GPS1_COM_VOL_PRESS=win+,

GPS1_NAV_VOL_PRESS=

GPS1_COM_FREQ_TOGGLE=win+q

GPS1_NAV_FREQ_TOGGLE=win+w

GPS1_LARGE_CV_INCR=win+k

GPS1_LARGE_CV_DECR=win+j

GPS1_SMALL_CV_INCR=CTRL+SHIFT+L

GPS1_SMALL_CV_DECR=win+F6

GPS1_SMALL_CV_PRESS=win+n

GPS1_CDI=CTRL+SHIFT+5

GPS1_OBS=win+v

GPS1_MSG=CTRL+SHIFT+O

GPS1_FPL=win+a

GPS1_VNAV=win+c

GPS1_PROC=win+F2

GPS1_RANGE_INCR=win+h

GPS1_RANGE_DECR=win+i

GPS1_DIRECT_TO=win+F3

GPS1_MENU=tab+Home

GPS1_CLR=win+F5

GPS1_CLR_HOLD=

GPS1_ENT=CTRL+SHIFT+M

GPS1_LARGE_GPS_INCR=win+F8

GPS1_LARGE_GPS_DECR=win+o

GPS1_SMALL_GPS_INCR=CTRL+SHIFT+R

GPS1_SMALL_GPS_DECR=CTRL+SHIFT+N

GPS1_SMALL_GPS_PRESS=win+F11

GPS1_RAIM_PREDICTION_FAILURE_TOGGLE=

GPS1_RAIM_ACTUAL_FAILURE_TOGGLE=

GPS1_FAIL_GS_TOGGLE=

GPS1_FAIL_GS_SET=

Finally, modify the Panel.cfg 

Select an aircraft which has the Mindstar gauge installed (follow the Mindstar instructions for setting up with FSX).

Next, we have to make a small modification to the panel.cfg file for the aircraft. This has to be done for the panel.cfg file of every aircraft you wish to fly with this software/hardware.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\XXXXX\panel

panel.cfg

copy and paste the line shown below over the top of the existing line entry.  This will re-size and crop the gauge to fit on the LCD screen.

gauge00=MPI_GNS!GNS530, -101, -39, 599, 456, 1:1:225

ADMIN NOTE: When replacing the gauge entry in the panel.cfg it is best if you change only the first four values as the fifth parameter may or may not be correct for your panel setup.

Please also note that it is required that the joystick assignments that FSX automatically applies need to be deleted from within the joystick settings in the simulator, otherwise button presses will perform standard functions such as view change etc.

Great info Overload

They should pin your info as I am sure others will be looking for help on this topic.

The GPS unit I have is from Desktop Aviator (fits my funds better) and works great in FSX . Same principles for installation I am sure.

Thank you

Im ready to buy a Emuteq 530, has anyone been able to make it work in prepar 3D?

Works perfectly in Prepar3d V3.1 and 3.2. After all it`s just a VGA monitor and a row of buttons emulating a Joystick which is then assigned via FSUIPC

Cheers, Fabian

bump. (I don't know if that does any good in AVSIM but worth a shot lol)  I have the Emuteq GNS530 and Mindstar.  I wanted to ask if anyone knows why all the binding assignments for the Mindstar GNS.ini file are all Windows Hotkey assignments  (win+).   I also saw that they are very similar for the FSX RealityXP.ini file as well.  I'm using Prepar3D v3.4.9 with Windows 10 and was able to get everything up and running (somewhat) despite the unfortunate lack of detailed information both on the Mindstar site as well the Emuteq GNS530 page.  Hopefully, I can get some added help here since I'm still having a major issue. 

Obviously Overload says it works but because those are all "win+" window hotkey assignments the buttons on the Emuteq 530 hardware are all opening native windows hotkey functions in addition to the GPS functions (things like Cortana, the Action Center, etc..literally every one which has a win+ assignment.   I also tried to disable the hotkey functions in Windows 10 via two different methods but it did not work. 

In short, there's no way to use the Emuteq hardware with those bindings and am very disappointed this key bit of information is not clearly explained on the Emuteq website.  Maybe that's why I was able to pick one up used for so cheap but so far I can only say this is a huge disappointment.  It looks nice, but it doesn't work.   I've also contacted their customer service but have not received an answer yet.  I don't understand why anyone would assign the buttons to windows hotkeys so there must be some sort of reasonable explanation and an easy workaround...or so I hope. 

Hopefully I'll get an answer soon and can report back on the solution.

Ed, thanks for assisting. I reviewed the Mindstar ini help page and in correlation to the initial data provided by Overload in this thread could not see what I'm doing wrong between the GNS.ini and FSUIPC4.ini. I have used the data he provided (supposedly from Emuteq). I copied the provided FSUIPC data into the Buttons section of my FSUIPC4.ini file and the GNS.ini data into GNS.ini file.

The GPS is working but it simultaneously triggers all the Win+ hotkeys native to Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 so the key press options they provide are obviously very problematic. I then tried to disable them via the Windows Local Group Policy Editor but then also realized that if I did, it would likely render the GPS buttons useless since they are tied to the hotkeys as well. And I'd really rather not delete or suppress the hotkeys anyway so going a different, and hopefully better, route is obviously needed.

So my question is A: why would Emuteq associate all the Win+ hotkey references to begin with as that just seems to cause immediate problems? I assume this is some sort of mistake or bad judgement call on Emuteqs end? Why not just spec out how to implement SImConnect or FSUIPC offsets to begin with? Obviously I should move on to using Method 2 (simconnect) or 3 (fsuipc offsets) but I'm thoroughly missing what is needed in either of those two instances.

As for SimConnect, Mindstar's page which you referenced reports to be the best method. It says the user (me) or the hardware vendor (Emuteq) "must have written a program that interfaces your hardware to flight simulator". Seeing how I haven't done so (and am clueless as to how) and seeing how Emuteq only provided the Win+ keyboard data above (and currently only provides similar "Win+" data on their site for Reality XP software) as well has no other reference on their site for any sort of interface program I can only assume this isn't a very viable option at the moment.

So, this only leaves the final option of using FSUIPC offsets which I'm fine with as I already own and exclusively use FSUIPC for all my other hardware. I know how to assign and calibrate controls and some switches through the FSUIPC utility but I've never learned about using offsets. So I guess what I'm not fully understanding is how Mindstar, Emuteq, and FSUIPC all tie in together.

Lastly, it says the number values recommended by Mindstar (0-225) correspond to the buttons on the Mindstar software unit. The Mindstar page then gives a GNS.INI example of NAV_ID_TOGGLE=FSUIPC:0x123456 but wouldn't that be something like NAV_ID_TOGGLE=FSUIPC:0x0 or 0x1 or 0x100, 0x150, up to 0x225 since it says the integer range limit is 0 to 225?  And I just don't understand how the Emuteq unit's buttons and knobs will know what to do if the only data they provide for the GNS.INI are keyboard commands. Sorry, but I just keep seeing a triangle where one link is broken here.

And BTW, this issue isn't just for myself, I'm also simultaneously assisting another sim builder with the same issues who recently purchased both the Mindstar 430/530 and the Emuteq unit so resolving this will save additional support queries from both of us.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you take more time to learn how to define the commands that the Emuteq transmits as well as read the page I pointed you to again.

You simply don't understand what you're trying to do, at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The GPS is working but it simultaneously triggers all the Win+ hotkeys native to Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 so the key press options they provide are obviously very problematic.

Jeff, I'm running my Emuteq on Win 7 - I just did a google on win 7 keyboard shortcuts - It would seem that Win 7 keyboard shortcuts have been avoided, presumably to overcome the problems you've experienced.

Just looking at the Win key plus a letter, this is what I've found:

Win 7 keyboard shortcuts (Win key plus a letter)
D
M
E
F
L
R
T
P
G
U
X
GNS.INI function plus their shortcuts (Win key plus a letter)
q
w
k
n
v
a
c
o
The GNS.INI shortcuts don't appear in the Win 7 list - so maybe it's a win10 issue?
I'm not a very techy person - so hope I haven't misunderstood the problem...
Eugene

I suggest you take more time to learn how to define the commands that the Emuteq transmits as well as read the page I pointed you to again.

You simply don't understand what you're trying to do, at all.

Ed, you're right, I obviously don't know, so please consider throwing me a bone here and explain the basics of each step so that I can help myself, rather than point out the obvious and make me feel dumber than I already do.   I'm not looking for this to become a long, drawn out classroom learning experience.  It would be much more helpful and more supportive if I can get a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 sort of explanation please.  I know I need to assign various numerical FSUIPC offsets that will, I assume, be pulled from the events list in the Modules folder and will then enter in these numbers in the GNS.INI file.  What I don't get is how are these numbers chosen and assigned?

What I also don't understand, and as I said previously, is why doesn't Mindstar and Emuteq actually work with one another in a more symbiotic fashion.  Both would stand to gain more by giving adequate details of how they actually work with the other.  In both cases there is absolutely no mention of the other on either website, yet in this arena there really are no other options, aside from the Flight1 software, which as I've learned today is very "plug and play" friendly with the Emuteq unit.  For years Emuteq has continued to reference the now defunct RealityXP software using the Win+ key methods and Mindstar simply provides the .INI help page without any actual firm DIY tutorial of how to interface with what is perhaps the one and only piece of hardware on the current market that it will actually work with.  I just find the support and lack of better, more easily digestible information on both sides to be very disappointing.  This process has become overly time consuming when a simplified checklist could be provided and exampled to give people like me a better, much more faster, leg up.

The GNS.INI shortcuts don't appear in the Win 7 list - so maybe it's a win10 issue?
I'm not a very techy person - so hope I haven't misunderstood the problem...
Eugene

Eugene, below is the list of Windows 10 hotkeys I've made and 7 / 8 are included as noted at the end of each.  As you will see there are definitely many overlaps which means the hotkey assignments are useless.  I'd rather just reassign all of them, even the few that are not overlapping yet (as Windows 11 will surely change that lol)..  And I don't know if this is the full list but it's pretty thorough.

NOTE: To test all HotKeys, first click on any "open space" of your desktop

Basic WIN+ HotKey Commands:

Windows Key        Open / Close Start Menu (7+)

Win + X            Open / Close the Start Button's right-click context menu (8+)

Win + Arrows (L/R)    Snaps current selected window or doc to side of screen (left or right) (w10)

Win + A            Opens Action Center (w10)

Win + Break        Show System Properties Window (pause/break key)

Win + B            Sets focus / highlight on system tray (taskbar notification area) icons    

Win + C            Opens the Charms Bar (8+)

Win + C            Launch Cortana in listening mode (for voice commands) (w10)

Win + D            Show desktop only (minimizes all open files)

Win + E            Launch File Explorer (7+)

Win + F            Feedback for Win 10

Windows + I        Opens Settings Center (w10)

Win + L            Lock the Desktop (7+)

Win + M            Minimizes all running program windows (like Win+D)

Win+SHIFT+M        Restores all running programs (maximize)

Win + P            Launch External Display selection

Win + R            Launch the RUN box

Windows + S        Opens Cortana (w10)

Win + T            Sets focus / highlight on Taskbar Buttons    

Alt+PtrScn        Take Screenshot of Desktop (7+)

Win+PrtScn        Take Screenshot of entire display and save to Comp>Pics>ScnShots

Win + Num Key (0-9)    Switch between Quick Launch Toolbar or Taskbar Buttons

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Browser Shortcuts (works in MS Edge and most others):

Ctrl+T            Open New Tab

Ctrl+D            Bookmark Page

Ctrl+L            Highlight Current URL

Ctrl+Tab        Cycle through open tabs

Ctrl+Enter        Adds ".com" to end of a web address in search bar.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Virtual Desktops:

Windows + Ctrl + D        Create a new desktop

Windows + Ctrl + An Arrow Key     (left or right) Cycle Desktops

Windows + Tab             Open Task View (to show them all)

Windows + Ctrl + F4          Close current desktop

All of the "win+" assignments are the original RXP assignments... adapted for easy integration by the end user.  So, the Flight1 units, I am willing to bet, use the same assignments to be directly compatible.

I don't own Emuteq hardware and I am not rich so won't be purchasing a unit any time soon.  If you want to understand how to change what keys/events the Emuteq sends, I suggest you ask them.  I have reviewed what they offer for explanation and it offers absolutely no information other than how to set up to use the default values for RXP.

Our units don't require FSUIPC as the input interface, we simply support it for those who just absolutely adore that method (i.e. want to use it).

We support custom keys, with or without modifiers.  Modifiers are known as the CTRL, SHIFT, ALT and WIN keys.

We also support custom events, which eliminates any possible key binding conflict.  How to set that up is on this web page (http://www.mindstaraviation.com/GNS_INI.html) under "Method 2: Triggering GNS Events with SimConnect".

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Works perfectly in Prepar3d V3.1 and 3.2. After all it`s just a VGA monitor and a row of buttons emulating a Joystick which is then assigned via FSUIPC

Cheers, Fabian

Fabian,

I'm one of the one's who have purchased MIndstar and I have an Emuteq'.   Would you be so kind to post your procedure to help some of us out with the same issue?

Thanks,

Dave Colston

<email removed!>