Sign in to follow this  
Acetone

Scenes for Outerra

This topic is a copy/paste (and improved) version of the original Outerra forum thread. I was under the impression that some simmers here would like a less pristine world and are sometimes too lazy to dig into the official forum :BigGrin:

Alaska test scenes
Download v0.2 - 26mb

Presentation
This is a work-in-progress test scene on Alaska.
Two airports are included :

• Ted Stevens (ANC), with a fairly low detail level. No surroundings, only the runways and taxiways layout and some placeholder buildings. I have created this basic airport layout for Levi's A380 (hard to land this thing on a gravel airstrip). Since Anchorage is a very dense scenery, working on it with current tools would be really hard so I'm just gonna keep this basic version for big airliners, and will focus on smaller density airports.
  • Talkeetna (PATK) is one of these. More detailed, located in a fairly nice landscape, not far away from Denali park.

Disclaimer: yes, this is not ORBX.
I have started to create these scenes mostly because I was under the impression that, without human made landmarks, it was really hard to get a true perspective of distances in Outerra. The engine only allow for the moment creation of roads and buildings placement. There is no terrain modification tool, no possibility to modify the vegetation distribution (outside than a dull hack involving a blank road vector). Everything is hand made. Even limited, the current tools are extremly powerful : Ted Stevens scenery was made in less than 3 hours. I hope you will enjoy it, this is a work in progress and updates will come!

If you have suggestions to improve the current Outerra road tools, check here.

Installation
Unzip the archive. Copy the content of the cache folder in your own Outerra folder (not the program files one), located by default in Yourname/Outerra/cache/.
If you want a quick and easy access to these airports, you can copy the content of the campos folder included in this package in Yourname/Outerra/campos/earth. It will add two new entries in the Locations menu (F2).

Warning!
Please note that tthis operation will erase all roads and object placement you may have done in this area of the world. Files included are : cache/earth/object/+z/11, 12 and 13.  I included a map in the .zip wich show what region of the world is modified. I strongly recommend to make a backup of you own cache/earth folder before installing the new ones.
I will try to update this scene when I have time, so I don't recommend you to add your own roads in this region, any new update using my cache will erase them.

Required models
This folder only contains roads data and buildings position data.
It does not however, come with these buildings. I have listed below all the models used in this scene. You can install them and thanks their creators :smile: . Most of the models use the .otx format. You just need to click on the file, follow the instructions and the content will be installed in the proper location.
If you load the scenery without having installed these buildings, the console will pop-up and show a wild number of red errors (and these models won't be here, of course). You can close the console using the "p" key. Even with all the models installed, you will still get errors messages, from a broken model. This is gonna be corrected in the future.

Buildings list (v0.2):

I couldn't find back the thread for ProfessorX various models I'm using in this scene, so I have included them in this package. You need to extract it in YourName/Outerra/packages/ProfessorX.

World2XPlane models will be added soon, as well as other various buildings.

Screenshots

bQWGL71.jpg

wVvw8I4.jpg

vJBzNL4.jpg

979ZhgB.jpg

(Outerra does not support rivers vectors, yet)

Changelog:

v0.2
Talkeetna modfications

• Improved roads and additional buildings.
  • Added a few missing locations at the east of the city.
  • Added roads, buildings and fields on the west bank of Chulitna River
  • Two dirt runways on the west bank of Chulitna River

Changing snow levels can be cool on that specific scene. HiFlyer have done a complete tutorial for that here.
Talkeetna region under snow is visible in this video from user M7: http://youtu.be/8saphXmNvXc.

Thanks for posting it here, Acetone!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A quick flyover of the Area. Sorry for the occasional stutter, My HD apparently cant keep up with the video capture; I probably need an SSD. In Outerra itself, everything was smooth as butter.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A quick flyover of the Area.

This video makes me realise that some sections of road inside Talkeetna are a bit messed up :lol:

More work on my To do list!

Thank You very much Acetone for this great work of Yours and for sharing it all with us here!

Please keep on with it!

Fantastic!

Time for a new update !

v0.3   Download  (4 mo)

Talkeetna modfications

• *Increased buildings density and placement in center Talkeetna
  • *A lot of roads corrections and buildings
  • *Added the Talkeetna village strip
  • *Added additional roads, buildings and fields on the west bank
  • *Basic road layout of the south-east zone
Other
  • * Updated campos
Buildings and objects list (v0.3) New in 0.3 :ProfessorX package is no longer required.

AWBAt40.jpg

BAfBCRu.jpg

Is there a way to accurately place runways in their real world positions?

Is there a way to accurately place runways in their real world positions?

Yes and no. Runways are placed using the direction player camera is facing so it's not possible to use the runway tool with the map overlay. However, you can use the minimap (g or m keys) to place yourself approximatively where the runway start. Then, you will need the exact heading of the runway and it's length (there are several websites with usefull charts for that). Runway width is a important information too.

Once you have positioned yourself with the minimap help, use the hud (tab key) to face the correct direction. Then, open the road tool, select the correct length and width for your runway, press make.

This method is not absolutely precise, but it's probably one of the most accurate at the moment :smile:

kKHzYeI.jpg

5z8UwfT.jpg

Mrpubt7.jpg

7cKN8lz.jpg

02qdml4.jpg

(Is there a way to set a lower width/height value for images in AVSIM forums ?)

Some new spots. A bunch of cool strips close to the Mc Kinley natural park for air simmers and a long winding road for those who want to explore Alaskan wilderness with the T817. Places are Petersville airport, Nugget Bench Airstrips, Songlo Vista airstrip and Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.

kKHzYeI.jpg

5z8UwfT.jpg

Mrpubt7.jpg

7cKN8lz.jpg

02qdml4.jpg

(Is there a way to set a lower width/height value for images in AVSIM forums ?)

Some new spots. A bunch of cool strips close to the Mc Kinley natural park for air simmers and a long winding road for those who want to explore Alaskan wilderness with the T817. Places are Petersville airport, Nugget Bench Airstrips, Songlo Vista airstrip and Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.

WOW!

These are stunning shots!

Please consider posting them at the screenshots section of the forums here as well as they really deserve a broughter audience i think!

Just really amazing!

In regards to resize images at AVSIM forums, i honestly don't know as i always set it all up as intended via Gimp in advance, and to upload images then i mainly use the very reliable OZx Image Hosting site:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/

Thanks saed and wolke!

This morning I did a test flight around the scene and created an imgur album of the trip here.

CufHlUY.jpg

Some of these locations are not present in 0.3, they will be released in 0.4 :smile: