Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

New Aerocaches - How to post them

Are these submitted to Steve?  If not, where do they go. 

We need to update this thread now to explain to everyone how this whole process is going to work.

How bout it ?

Yes, they are. It's been a feature since Flight Toolkit 1.0.27:

This latest version adds the ability for community members to submit their own aerocaches.  These go into a "pending approval" list and then I will need to make them "approved" before they show up for anyone in Flight.  To do this, run the Addon Manager, and then go to Edit->Aerocache Editor.  You will see a list of aeroacaches that have already been submitted (right now there should be only one), and you can click "Add Aerocache" to submit your own.  Once we have a few in there I would like to do a vote in the community for their favorites and then I will turn them into real aerocaches.

Are these submitted to Steve?  If not, where do they go. 

You are right Rick....

Here are some instructions if you are wondering how to add any new aerocaches:

1. Upon Launching the "Addon Manager," navigate to the "Edit" Tab and Select "Aerocache Editor." Here you will be able to add desired aerocaches.
  2. Take a look at previously added aerocaches and to add one yourself select "Add New Aerocache" and fill out the blanks with the required information. If you need more information about your Aerocache location, use the SimDataEditor which can be accessed through the root installation folder of the Flight Toolkit.

Once you submit your aerocache, it won't be available straight away - it needs to be previewed and authorized by Steve himself; only then will your aerocache appear in-game.

...Oh and err... MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody!  :lol:

Basically, the way Steve described the process:

- use the Flight Toolkit (1.0.29)  

- click on the Editor tab to get into the Aerocache Editor.

- fill in the blanks to describe the aerocaches characteristics

- include the paths to the preview and thumbnail images,

- the program validates that the field values provided will be correct.

- after your cache is submitted and accepted by the program, it appears in the list with the other submitted caches.

- the process for reviewing and selecting the best one(s) to publish is not clearly defined at this point. 

Steve can fill us in on how that part of the process will work.  I think it may take a few iterations to get the wrinkles out.

In the mean time, we can be building up an inventory of cache submittals.

Thanks guys. This will help anyone new to submitting aerocaches.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Steve is the DB Admin for the Aerocache server.  

We use the toolkit editor to submit new caches in a "pending" status.

We will need a way to preview these and a way to vote on them.

Until this process is fleshed out, it's all in Steve's hands.      

Another update: thanks to Stonelance with Flight Toolkit 1.1.2 we now have the option to preview the pending aerocaches.  Fly to search and find them. They look and behave just the same as the regular aerocaches, except you can't capture them while they are in a pending status. 

Another big step forward!

Hello. When will the pending aerocaches become live so that we can collect them? I tried one out and it seems to work fine except you can't collect it yet. Thanks for any update.

I'd like to fix the issues where the aerocaches are randomly not showing up in Flight.  I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

I don't know if this will help or if it is just on my system but I have composed a list of aerocaches that are unable to be captured. You can fly to them and be in exact proximity, but they don't show up. Here is what I have so far:

Protected Crescent

Culinary Captain

Geologically Active

High Flying Glider

Lokoaka Pond

Kamuela & Upolu VOR

VOR to PuuWaa Crater

Upolu River

Ka Lae

Koko Head

These just don't work on my system. The proximity meter closes to less than 2 miles and you can fly dead over the point and there is no star or collection. But like I said, maybe it is just my system. I have collected almost all of the others without any problems. If I find any more I will let you know. Thanks for your great work.

For some reason, all of the aerocaches work now. I have collected all of them. Thanks to whoever fixed this.

Still can't add them?   The problem was the ftp account.  I called the host to get them to fix it months ago but apparently they are worthless.

Yeah, I'm still getting an error 530 when trying to add an aerocache.

You may already be aware from reading other threads, that we are back in business submitting aerocaches.  When logging in to Flight, check the "View Aerocaches" box to enable them.

I've published all the Aerocaches that were pending, so please take a look and make sure they are still working correctly.  I had to fix up some of my publishing code.  If something didn't get published properly I have a backup of the original data, so please just let me know the name of the one that is missing or wrong.