Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Al Jazeera and the Boeing 787

Al Jazeera has produced a very critical documentation about the Boeing 787 and it's safety standards: http://www.aljazeera.com/investigations/boeing787/default.html

Of course Boeing sees it slightly different: http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=129201

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Certainly hard to deny that the 787's launch has been troublesome and plagued with problems.

As for some of the allegations in this documentary, well these are people going on record under their own names, so I'd have no reason to doubt them.    Eg... the Engineer allegedly sacked for raising major safety concerns.    If true, this speaks of a very desperate Boeing, willing to sacrifice it's individuals to "maintain face".

Outside of the sim (I'm greatly looking forward to QWsim's 787! :smile:), in the real world, I'd certainly rather be stepping on to a 737 or even a 767 (or an A320 / A330), than a 787 at this time.

I know only one worse media outlet than Al Jazeera - RT.

You can always find an engineer or two (out of thousands) who will tell you exactly the story you want to hear. 

You can always find evidence to fit your preconceived thesis.

By the way, Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, head of Qatar Airways his 'excellency' Akbar Al Baker should be worried about the article? Hardly.

They had already received 15 787s and another 15 is on order, just a week ago Al Baker was opening Doha-Vienna route and said

he was 'delighted' to put on this route 'our flagship' product - 787-8. And we know how critical his excellency has been about either Airbus' or

Boeing's shortcomings in the past.

It's happened before,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUlw7BsKCY4

Lets not obfuscate the issues by putting down Al Jazeera.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I know only one worse media outlet than Al Jazeera - RT.

You can always find an engineer or two (out of thousands) who will tell you exactly the story you want to hear. 

You can always find evidence to fit your preconceived thesis.

By the way, Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, head of Qatar Airways his 'excellency' Akbar Al Baker should be worried about the article? Hardly.

They had already received 15 787s and another 15 is on order, just a week ago Al Baker was opening Doha-Vienna route and said

he was 'delighted' to put on this route 'our flagship' product - 787-8. And we know how critical his excellency has been about either Airbus' or

Boeing's shortcomings in the past.

Superbly and openly bravely stated, somebody not afraid to mince the truth :clapping: :clapping:

I fail to see the relevancy of how many planes he ordered compared to reliability of a news agencies story. Just because he ordered 30 787's doesn't mean that there couldn't be serious design problems with said aircraft. 

Politics aside, time will most definitely tell the tale and it's safety record will speak for itself.

I live near Logan airport in Boston mass,and see Japan and Hianan airlines blasting out of here on far northern routes to Asia. Would I get on one of those? Probably not.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

........................ time will most definitely tell the tale and it's safety record will speak for itself.

I for one would not like to be part of "it's" safety record.

With regards to Al Jazeera, I can think of many media outlets that are worse, some of them western and some of them eastern. Sadly politics, aspirations and cultures tend to get in the way of the truth in so many ways. Interestingly in the 2000s, the network was praised by the Index on Censorship for circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world which I think was long overdue.

Regardless, it was an interesting documentary so thanks to the OP for posting this.

On my 2cents note:

AAB has this tendency to put down companies he buys products from (Airbus, Boeing), and people working for him at QR (understand people belonging to him).

He's very found of these never satisfied and ridiculous comments during Le Bourget or Farnborough Airshows.

While you can easily find out about his puppet show online, finding comments of QR employees is more difficult, as his team actively monitors aviation forums (boom, you're fired).

At the end, his barkings for extra discounts ('cause that's all and only about that) usually escalate to mutual Gov. levels where they shut him down

(check Airbus vs. QR negociations online, that's a really funny one).

This time AJ is part of the grumpy dwarf show (read Airline Financial Compensation Business).

The documentary is at tabloid level, it's a direct offense to the reputation and competency of one of the finest aircraft factory in the world.

AJ would justify these methods with freedom of speech & information, etc...

But how could we blindly trust a media that can't sweep around their own front door (Qatar) while insidiously trying to teach lessons to the whole world?

They dare talking about Quality Control, Working conditions, Safety & Security?

They should better investigate at Qatar Aeronautical College (training some QR pilots), there's more than enough work for them there regarding Safety!

Once done, they can shift focus on local nonexistant labor laws, modern slavery, flight crew management by fear, it's pretty endless.

That would buy them some temporary credibility.

So yeah, they can (politically) contribute to the free exchange of information in the Arab world,

but how strange, never a word on what's going on around their HQ city/country?

Thanks for posting Tim, I will avoid this media in the future.

I fail to see the relevancy of how many planes he ordered compared to reliability of a news agencies story

The relevancy is very strong - if there was really any 'serious' design problem with 787 it would have been known/discussed in professional trade magazines (say AW&ST or ATW, etc) not in Al Jazeera or Vanity Fair or RollingStone or Hindustan Times for example.

The relevancy is very strong - if there was really any 'serious' design problem with 787 it would have been known/discussed in professional trade magazines (say AW&ST or ATW, etc) not in Al Jazeera or Vanity Fair or RollingStone or Hindustan Times for example.

Ha Ha,just like the DC-10 death cruiser was discussed in the trade magazines of the day?

On my 2cents note:

If I could +1 this I would.

Thanks for the post!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Ha Ha,just like the DC-10 death cruiser was discussed in the trade magazines of the day?

And the Ducommon scandal in the video I posted above? Get your heads out of the sand,

- if there was really any 'serious' design problem with 787 it would have been known/discussed in professional trade magazines

Just like the Lexus and BMW problems? ............ and Toyota recalls?  ............ and?  ........... and............... ?

We obviously live in a different world, you and I, but I really do wish that I could continue to think the same way you do ........... because I used to  :lol:  :lol:

Name an airplane (or anything built with high technology for its time) that hasn't experienced teething problems when first released to the masses... cáca happens, as they say.

Personally, I can't speak to the veracity of the parent organization, but I find Al Jazeera America to be quite neutral in their reporting, as compared with the other cable News organizations (the 'three letter' outlets in particular). Interesting that they didn't produce the expóse, being US based and all...

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg