Sign in to follow this  

Water reflections all screwed up

I run Prepar3D 2.3 on Windows 8.1 Update with a GTX780 (6GB) and the 337.88 driver. Specially in smaller waters all the reflections (which I have all enabled) look very odd at times. At a certain distance I see odd shapes, big rectangles or what seem to be reflections of trees and landscapes in the totally wrong location. When I get closer the right reflections pop into view but dislocated/detached from the scenery. Only when I get really close the reflections suddenly pop into the right place.

Any idea what may be causing this? I deleted the shader cache but that didn't helpt. Is it a certain setting that is causing this? This has been posted about before and I wonder if there is a solution in the meantime.

Here are my settings:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/15036865898_d048a0359a_o.jpg

Obviously seeing all this weird reflections popping in and out of view is quite an immersion killer...

Your settings are close to mine except I have the "Water Detail" all the way to the right. Give that a shot - can always turn it back if it doesn't help.

I usually fly out of KMSN and there are large lakes around the city. The cloud reflections, water detail and shadows look great on my system. I use MSE2 scenery.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Hi Jeroen,

why do you set your water details so extremely low? Just wondering.

I would untick your shadow settings for Sim Objects, Vegetation, Buildings and the NoShadow flagged content and look if this helps.

Spirit

why do you set your water details so extremely low? Just wondering.

I simply don't like the waves that are way too big. ;) Those waves are so big that when I fly at 4500 ft it looks as if my nose is 5 meters above the surface. ^_^

I'll see what unticking shadows does although I wonder what that has to do with reflections? And I like those shadows! But I'll give it a try just for troubleshooting.

The reflections are screwed up, also keep in mind since the clouds spin so will their reflection on the water, I just turn them off.

I've noticed some odd reflections too, especially from terrain, which is often disjointed, with a gap between the land and where its reflection starts. Water mask detail can also create reflections, which it should not do, as its under the surface.

There are definitely some anomalies with P3D's reflections, and they have been there since the release of v2.0.

Have all water reflections turned off, don't miss them at all. Hope you get it sorted J.

PS: I thought I ran high setting, boy you really are max out :)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

PS: I thought I ran high setting, boy you really are max out :)

Yeah, I like my sliders right LOL (And btw the cloud distance is at 90 in my screenshot but that's being taken care of with ASN: I have the distance set to minimun 90 and max 120. I think the slider in P3D moves along with what ASN is doing at that moment because it seems to be at a different position automatically.)

The reflections are screwed up, also keep in mind since the clouds spin so will their reflection on the water, I just turn them off.

I've noticed some odd reflections too, especially from terrain, which is often disjointed, with a gap between the land and where its reflection starts. Water mask detail can also create reflections, which it should not do, as its under the surface.

There are definitely some anomalies with P3D's reflections, and they have been there since the release of v2.0.

Ok, good to know I am not the only one seeing this. ^_^ Let's hope LM solves this sometime!

On a sidenote: I also posted this on the LM forum using the same topic title and there I was asked to change that title because 'screwed up' apparently is 'strong language'. English is not my native language and I honestly didn't know that... I can't change the topic title here anymore so I'd like to apologize if the topic title offends anyone: that certainly wasn't what I was trying to do! And if it is indeed considered to be strong language over here, maybe a mod can change the title to Water reflections all messedup'.

LOL Jeroen - no matter WHAT you say it will possibly offend someone. Screwed up is not offensive to me - fxxxxd up would be what I would call inappropriate.

BTW did the water detail change affect the reflections?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

^_^

The water detail didn't make a difference (although it did make it harder to see the errors) and turning off all shadows didn't make a difference either. I even cleared the shader cache and restarted P3D to be sure.

Here are two animated gifs I made that show what can be happening. All shots (of every gif) were taken within one or two seconds. The first one also shows reflections sometimes disappear completely! (These shots don't show the detached reflections btw.)

15203825756_494ac1be77_o.gif

15223765441_41c3f03cb5_o.gif

EDIT

Here is a shot (without shadows and with water detail) showing the detached reflections. Without water detail this obviously is a lot more obvious.

15040370028_aa5b7e368d_o.jpg

Hi Jeroen,

is your pink honey moon time with P3D v2.3 already finished and are you now back to the dark side of reality? :lol:

Spirit

Hi Jeroen,

is your pink honey moon time with P3D v2.3 already finished and are you now back to the dark side of reality? :lol:

Spirit

LOL No, certainly not, I am still enjoying everything! But I wouldn't mind if this problem could be solved! It's not a deal breaker for me but I can do without it. ^_^

I{m pretty sure I read this is a REX problem

Even the devs of REX thought so, yes: they even said they fixed it (in an upcoming patch or version of REX), but I don't use REX...! So I think they solved a P3D/LM problem. ^_^ I even posted about this on their forum, if they could inform LM about their solution.