Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

Heathrow Xtended + All Orbx + REX4 = You Know What!

Well I have been very happy OOM free since switching to P3Dv2 until I decided to upgrade my EGLL to Aerosoft's Mega Airport London Heathrow Xtended today. Coupled with all the great stuff from Orbx and REX4 clouds sure enough I didn't even make it to the DET VOR departing out of Rwy9R with the Q400. Now I knew of this VAS problem with FSX but I thought with the recent optimization in P3Dv2.3 I can enjoy a decent flight out of Heathrow but unfortunately that is not the case. Time to start sliding everything left...again.

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Try the UK2000 version of EGLL 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

There are a lot of OOM reports in the forums since the latest update.

ZORAN

No OOMs for me or for many others.  UK2000 Heathrow, Coolsky DC-9, Active Sky Next, Rex Essentials. Graphics on high. No OOM.

Maybe bad choice to go for the Aerosoft version but I couldn't resist with that discounted upgrade price.  I could not believe the download size...4.3GB!    How big is the UK2000 version?

John Pipilas

Same here.  I start a flight from AS EGLL, the sim loads, and at some point between 80% and 95%, something is loaded and VAS is reduced to 495000, and OOM. Always. 

Although using UK2000 version the sim can load w/o OOM, the VAS usage is higher than before. All since 2.3 update.

Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz ; Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i GT ; Mb Asus Maximus VIII Hero ; 240Gb SSD Kingston SSDNow V300+ 2TB SSD Samsung EVO exclusive for Prepar3D v3.2 + 2xSeagate 6TB SATA3 64MB ; 32GB DDR4 2400 G.Skill Ripjaws V Red ;  

Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB ; 48" TV Samsung HW-7500 Curved UHD 60Hz 

When you think fsdreamteam KLAX handles the airport and area fine, it seems EGLL needs to be made from fsdreamteam or flightbeam to get EGLL working within the London area. 4GB for just an airport is a joke, flightbeam KDEN is a work of art, and fps friendly but it is not next to London but ever so it's nothing like the size to 4 GB but much bigger in size it's self to heathrow.

But KLAX is a bench mark for an airport in a huge city. Even if it's next to the sea :)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Well I have been very happy OOM free since switching to P3Dv2 until I decided to upgrade my EGLL to Aerosoft's Mega Airport London Heathrow Xtended today. Coupled with all the great stuff from Orbx and REX4 clouds sure enough I didn't even make it to the DET VOR departing out of Rwy9R with the Q400. Now I knew of this VAS problem with FSX but I thought with the recent optimization in P3Dv2.3 I can enjoy a decent flight out of Heathrow but unfortunately that is not the case. Time to start sliding everything left...again.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the MJC Q400's memory usage increased on v1.010, as compared to previous versions.      I have that as a stated fact in an email from the MJC dev team.    For me, I started getting constant OOMs (and failure of the sound engine, again linked to memory) in the Q400 from v1.010, where I'd never ever had them before.   Hence, MJC kindly supplied me with a retrograde v1.008 installer, which I patched to v1.009 and I'm been a happy Q400 flyer again ever since.

Interesting about the Q400, thanks for that, but EGLL is not really an airport I would use with it, EGNX etc are far more suited for that aircraft IMO ofc.

737 upwards is what comes to mind for EGLL for me.

Interesting about the Q400, thanks for that, but EGLL is not really an airport I would use with it, EGNX etc are far more suited for that aircraft IMO ofc.

True.

I've got all the UK2000 UK Xtreme airports, so I'm spoilt for choice. :smile:

I cant even get the Q400 in there how in the world can I ever get a 737 or 777 in there???

I am running the latest version of the Q400 (1.011). Perhaps I should revert back to 1.009 version and see if that helps??

John Pipilas

Can someone report back a before and after of VAS usage with EGLL?

1.  Disable aerosoft's EGLL in scenery library

2.  set weather to clear, do NOT run a weather engine

3.  Load Aircraft, and select parking spot, stay in external view  

4.  Save Flight

5.  Exit P3D

6.  Wait 15-30 seconds (P3D can take a while to unload fully), load P3D by double clicking on the saved flight (*.fxml)

7.  Do two full slow 360 degree rotations in spot view

8.  Note VAS

9.  Enable aerosoft's EGLL in scenery libary

10. Exit P3D

11. Wait 15-30 seconds (P3D can take a while to unload fully), load P3D by double clicking the saved flight (same one as before in step 6)

12. Do two full slow 360 degree rotations in spot view

13. Note VAS

The VAS difference from step 8 to step 13 should be pretty close to actual VAS "increase" of the airport.  Also important to know your texture setting (1024, 2048, 4096) in both P3D and any options Aerosoft's airport provides.

Do NOT skip any of these steps or take shortcuts.  Very important to load P3D from saved flight file and VERY important to do two full 360 degree rotations in spot as to ensure all airport scenery and surroundings is fully loaded.

Please.

Cheers, Rob.

Can someone report back a before and after of VAS usage with EGLL?

Done as per insturctions - 

Addons used in my scenario:

FTX Global

FTX Vector

FTX OpenLC Europe

FS Global Mesh

REX4 1024 (32 bit) sky textures

Majestic Q400 v1.011

No traffic

Midday sim time

autogen to very dense

scenery complexity to maximum

VAS results - monitored with Process explorer

2.4Gb without Aerosoft EGLL Xtended

2.9Gb with Aerosoft EGLL Extended

So based on my sim settings the new EGLL uses approx 500mb of VAS

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Hi Rob

I will try this out and see what kind of VAS differential I get. Based on above results, 500mb seems like quite a hit on VAS memory just for one airport.

John Pipilas

Just complete the test exactly per Rob's instructions. I am using Process Explorer to measure VAS. I have disabled all AI traffic, disabled weather engine, set clear skies and my results are as follows:

VAS without EGLL Xtended = 2.807GB

VAS with EGLL Xtended = 3.179GB

VAS Increase = 0.372GB or 372MB

Test was done using the Majestic Q400 version 1.011. I also have all the Orbx scenery enabled during the test (ie. FTX Global/England Hybrid Mode, Vector, OpenLC).

John Pipilas