Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

PREVIEW video: X-Planeplane10 HD Mesh Scenery v3 (region: Canada)

There is a first preview - this time a video on youtube (instead of "just" screenshots) - for the next, "version 3" of the HD mesh Scenery "series". Planned release is around the end of 2014.

It will be more of an evolution - instead of a revolution - over the current "version 2" bringing:

• many fixes (see known issues list on my website for HD mesh Scenery v2)
  • landclass improvements
  • increased resolution (yes, the mesh res will increase a bit again)
  • and most importantly fresh OSM (openstreetmap data) from autumn 2014.
  • additionally, in Canada, instead of the OSM lakes it will use CanVec based lakes (which should bring a more or less complete and consistent lake/river coverage in that region - OSM still has quite a few gaps in that area).

The coverage will most likely not go outside the current coverage and will still "only" cover North America, Europe and Japan. The main reason is still - as most of you might already know - that there is still no good, consistent, free, usable, high resolution landclass data outside the listed regions. As soon as this changes (and I can get hold of such "good, consistent, free, usable, high resolution landclass data") I will also extend the coverage.

By the way, should you be one of the few users, who are contributing to the OSM project, I would say you have about 4 weeks to add stuff (things of relevance are: water features and road / railroad network) you would like to see in the coming HD Mesh Scenery v3 (one exception - for now - is water data in Canada, which will be substituted by the CanVec data for now)!

Great looking forward to this

Just a question for editing OSM, which water features do you use so we know what to concentrate on.

I've been mapping streams, ponds, drains, riverbeds and also coastlines, but Im not sure which particular tag combinations you use specifically. If the deadline is 4 weeks, then I want to get in as much as possible :-)

Lets see ... Effectively you should just map your water features according to OSM best practice, then you are always safe (as Ben and I always say: do not map for X-Plane, but map for the OSM community ... we will make sure that as long as you conform to the OSM basic rules, your data will work).

But just as a short overview (this will not be an exact reproduction of my import rule set). I import all water polygons with have natural=water%, natural=lake, waterway=% (with some post filtering!!!), landuse=basin, landuse=reservoir and its NOT intermittent. Additionally (and this is maybe really more important), there is one vector (line) type I use, namely waterway=river''. Linear water features with this tag will be imported (and extruded to water bodies) too.

Thanks for the info Andras

BTW and slightly off topic, there is currently an ongoing effort to import the CanVec data into OSM. Coverage is somewhat patchy, but it's good to see this data starting to fill out Canada.

Thanks for the info Andras

BTW and slightly off topic, there is currently an ongoing effort to import the CanVec data into OSM. Coverage is somewhat patchy, but it's good to see this data starting to fill out Canada.

To my knowledge that affeort with CanVec has started quite some time ago, but to me it seems to be halfway stalled. Thats why many regions already have the data while others - many regions in the Rockies for example - are completely empty. So, what I am doing is now, to substitute CanVec directly until it gets completed in OSM. Of course, this way I might lose a few user edits, but overall I win an almost 99% perfect coverage in Canada.

Oh man this looks so good. I hope it will run on my laptop.

Going to format and put linux and then XPX and see what performance I get. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Oh man this looks so good. I hope it will run on my laptop.

If v2 can run smoothly on my ancient laptop , it will run smoothly on anybody's laptop  :lol:

If v2 can run smoothly on my ancient laptop , it will run smoothly on anybody's laptop  :lol:

Tony,

My config is :

i5 2430m

GT525m 1GB

8 GB RAM 

But XPX almost freaks out.

Installing Lubuntu right now and lets see how XPX performs