Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Off course flying heading xxx

Hi, done a flight from EGPH to EGSS and was flying the LOREL3G STAR when i got told i was off course and to fly heading xxx

I'm flying the 737 ngx. This has never happened to me before, I was descending to meet the alt rest fl120 and on track.

Vernon Howells

Hmm.. Were you off course or were you vectored off course? Could it have been a misunderstanding in communication with the controller?

I was following the magenta brick road and RC gave me a heading because i was off course. I wasn't even in contact with app and prob about 60-70 nm out

Does RC see your STAR waypoints in PFPX?

Vernon Howells

Sorry Vernon. Didn't check which forum we were in Lol. I was thinking Vatsim. I have no knowledge of RC.

Hi,

Without sight of your flight plan I can only offer some initial thoughts.

It would ,at first ,appear that you had failed to acknowledge passing over a waypoint. What did you use in the way of a flight planning tool and did the FS flight plan the RC flight plan both have the same waypoints as your FMC? Any small difference could result in such a message.

To go back a step, you should have received descent instructions around the 130nm before the airport. Unless you had as Pilot Flying the comms, you should be following RC instructions rather than the FMC. and be descending towards your destination. Your next comms should be for an ATIS weather report and then instructions to meet the crossing restriction at 11000/12000 ft 40 miles from the airport.

I would suggest that you repost and include a lot more detail so that the real experts can provide a fuller answer.

I'm using PFPX and this is RC FP i copyed and paste, EGPH to EGSS@24000 (Alt1-EGSX , Alt2-) / GOSAM.FENIK.DCS.LAKEY.CALDA.MCT. *RVSM

It had gone wrong after MCT and thats where my STAR had started, so i would say this is not my fault because RC can't see any waypoints after MCT. So RC gave me a direct heading to EGSS which it did.

I gave comms to my FO and started the descend for my crossing rest. 11000/12000 ft 40.

To be honest i do expect things to go wrong or not be realistic, unlike VATSIM.

Vernon Howells

It had gone wrong after MCT and thats where my STAR had started, so i would say this is not my fault because RC can't see any waypoints after MCT. So RC gave me a direct heading to EGSS which it did.

If your STAR waypoints are unknown to RC then after passing the final waypoint in the plan fed to RC you will get a heading to the airport. You could not have been on that heading for RC to admonish you. Check the top line in the RC window. That shows the heading you're expected to fly.

You can 'cheat' by requesting deviations for weather. That will get the controller off your back. Once inside 40 miles (APP) request IAP Approach followed by ILS and the landing runway.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi ray thats the problem my last waypoint was way too far out have a look for yourself and let me know? yeh i did get a heading direct to EGSS. never mind still loving RC. just those ALT crossings can be a pain as it can conflict with you STAR. But i'm learning how to deal and mold them in with my STARS.

Vernon Howells

Vernon,

If you want RC to stay happy you have to include the waypoints for the LOREL3G STAR in the plan you load into RC. MCT is around 100 miles from EGSS and it's unrealistic to end a plan there. Remember, RC knows nothing about STARs. All it knows is waypoints.

Ideally you should use a planner that can include STAR waypoints in a FSX compatible flight plan. PFPX can't so you're only option is to do what I suggested 2 posts up.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thats ok cause i just go into FSX FP and edit the waypoints, add the ones from the STAR. what distance sha'll i be looking at to do this procedure ray?

Vernon Howells

A caution:

You may find that the waypoints from current charts are missing in FSX. With certain caveats you can update the FSX waypoints from this free source:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html and get FS9, FSX, P3D Fixes Update  and perhaps FSX & P3D Navaids Update

Just add them to a I created a folder called Intersection Updates with a scenery folder under it where I placed the bgl files. I added this folder to the scenery library and placed it in FS9/AddOn Scenery/Intersection Updates then in the scenery settings placed it right above (lower number) the continental entries like OCE. Same for FSX.

The new waypoints and navaids will now be in the FSX Planner and any planner that draws its data from FSX after you restart FSX so it reindexes its scenery.

There might be a duplicate waypoint as none are deleted but the shift should be minor. Major continental areas are included in this update.

This was tested by another user to get his missing waypoints in and I tested it as well. These waypoints are frequently updated and should match any AIRAC update in your NGX FMC terminal procedure database so you can sync RC and your FMC.

This particular STAR I briefly looked at and it appears to serve all runways if I am not mistaken.

For altitude variance other than the mandatory crossing restriction you can choose NOTAMS.

If this STAR just serves one runway direction just choose common waypoints in the plan sent to RC for then vectors or use as Ray suggested an IAP for approach.

This help?

what a guy thanks for the link dude i just updated fsx :) do you have any problems with it?

Vernon Howells

I use FS9 and other than an occasional duplicate waypoint being shifted due to the difference in the default FS9 waypoint and the correct position where it shows as a duplicate, no.

These are waypoints used for IAP procedures which have changed. I have a an IAP dated 2003 for an airport I added an ILS to (with ADE). The FS9 default points are not in the correct position for this airport as measured by DME distance from a reference VOR. The add-on waypoint is correct.

Anyway, this user here wanted to see the approach waypoints on his default aircraft GPS so by adding these waypoints to FSX, the planner now showed them when loaded into FSX to see the route on the default GPS.

Proofing on free add-on Plan-G3 showed both the old and new waypoints (same name). I also suggested that he can use Plan-G as a moving map (it pulls in navaids and intersections plus approaches from the FS scenery data including the default files). If you need to see terrain relief, Plan-G has this as well as airspace boundary overlays such as Class B Terminal Control Areas. Plan-G originally was for VFR planning but has its use in IFR as well.

If you wish to use Plan-G and have it draw in the WorldINT.bgl intersection updates the bgl needs to be renamed NVWorldINT.bgl so it will read them as indicated in the scenery library.

It all seems good the guy must work hard around the clock. its good someone is doing this.

Vernon Howells

My modem packed up 2100GMT Monday which is why I haven't been responding.

I see Ron has given you good advice in my absence.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather