Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Next Plane- Metro/Q400/777/NGX?

Hi everyone. I was thinking about buying a new advanced aircraft for FSX. I have narrowed down my list to the following:

Razbam Metroliner

Majestic Dash 8

PMDG 777

PMDG NGX

I have several considerations to keep in mind that I was hoping owners of some or all of these aircraft could advise me on. Firstly, I don't have a preference when it comes to long haul vs short haul flying. I just save my flight if I don't have enough time to complete it. However, I absolutely love turboprops. That's why I am leaning towards either the Metro or the Q400, but I do have one problem: I no longer have a throttle quadrant with the option to control the propeller and mixture axis (and I do not plan on getting one). Is it difficult to properly operate a turboprop without them? I do have a joystick but it only has a single throttle axis. If it would be difficult to fly the Metro or Dash without the prop/mixture axis, then I have to choose between either the T7 or NGX. I understand that they are completely different aircraft, but can owners of both say which one they prefer and why? I've heard that the T7 is a more automated (so some may say less fun), but the NGX is worse on FPS. Another consideration I have with all 4 is which have good tutorial flights. I find these essential, as I learn best from a good step-by-step tutorial flight.

I've never really gotten 'into' a high-fidelity aircraft. I do own the PMDG J41, but I never really took the time to learn it properly for a variety of reasons (poor FPS, my own poor understanding of the aircraft, my inability to get excited about it having never even seen one before, etc.) I may pick it up again later, but for now I'd rather have a brand-new aircraft to start from scratch on. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

for G/A Metroliner... the best in her class.... Garrett powered a FDE tested and confirmed by pilots of metroliners..... great visual, great texturing of cabin.... the panel ..!! 

Redgars

Robert Bernard

Well Hamoody - I'd say go for the Q400 if you really do love turboprops. It's probably the finest turboprop sim for FSX to date and those PW100 series engines are mighty impressive! For what it's worth, I use it quite happily with a cheapo joystick with just a built in throttle. Manual changes to propeller pitch (or 'condition') are made infrequently with this type, and then it's to switch between gates (OFF/START/MIN/900/MAX). For this I use joystick buttons or just mouse control of the condition levers in the VC. Fine adjustments of prop. pitch aren't needed as they may be with say, a piston engined aircraft with a variable pitch/constant speed prop.

If FPS is another consideration, all the more reason to lean towards the Q400. Much, much better FPS on my rig than the NGX (I don't own the other 2) which I find makes hand flying approaches a much more rewarding experience.

I much prefer short haul stuff so perhaps I'm a bit biased against T7s and so on, but the Q400 really does tick all the boxes for me. Having said all that, I don't own the Metro so can't comment on its Garrett turboprop model. However, I do know that much of the flight and engine model in the Q400 is done outside of FSX which has generally had the reputation of having somewhat flawed turboprop modelling.

Hope this helps a bit,

Nick

P.S. Still patiently awaiting the Q400 pro edition Majestic!  :wink:

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Quite a difference from a Metroliner all the way up to a 777.  Enough so that you could likely own all 4, and use them for different flights.

I don't own the 777, but out of the three remaining, I prefer the Q400, then the NGX, then the Metroliner.  The Q400 is, in my opinion, a whole level better than the Metroliner in every way.  A lot of fun to fly too.  The NGX is newer to me (bought it recently on a whim because I wanted something larger than the Q400) but of course it's superb in every way. Easier to fly than the Q400, which can be a bit of a handful.

However, really you should just go with whatever you think you'll enjoy the most.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Razbam Metroliner - if you love hand flying and 'raw' IFR and VFR operations (Type /A). If you like noisy, old, character-filled turboprops.  

Q400 - If you want a state of the art, fantastically simulated turboprop with the most realistic FDE you will find in FS, full systems coverage, and awesome frame rate performance

NGX - If you want a medium sized very popular jet that 'gets everything right' - visuals, sound, FDE, extras.   Hard to beat.   Every serious simmer has to own the NGX.

777 - If you want a longhaul super automated jet ('set and forget'), very well simulated but very taxing on system resources, especially memory.

My overall order of preference for recommendation would be :-

1). PMDG NGX

2). Majestic Q400

3) Razbam Metro

4). PMDG 777

...but really, none of these are bad products,   I don't think you'd regret any of them.

Cheers,

I'm a little biased but having had some exposure to what it can do in real life, I think no serious simmer could be without the Majestic Q400. It's superbly done and getting better all the time with each update. I would say that a throttle quadrant makes life a lot easier in it as those condition levers aren't easily manipulated with a mouse. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

After re-reading the original posters questions, I would also offer that due to popularity, the NGX likely has the largest amount of how-to videos and tutorial videos available, likely followed by the 777.  However, the Q400 has a really, really excellent set of (payware) tutorial videos available from Airline2Sim, as well as a pretty large amount of info available on pretty much every aspect of flight.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I have no experience with the Metroliner, but I recommend learning the JS4100 now and eventually buying the NGX, Q400, and 777 (in that order). The JS4100 is an awesome addon, it basically fills the same role as the Metroliner, and if you like turboprops there's absolutely no reason not to dig into it, there's a lot of meat there. You will not find the Q400 or NGX any easier, they each have their quirks. Letting the J41 sit there is a sad thought. And the reason I say get them all eventually is the NGX/Q400/777 (and yes, the J41 too) are all at the pinnacle of quality for their given types. And with access to quality versions of each type, now you can make connections flights all across the globe. They are all flown on a constant basis and you can find them all the time on Flightaware.

While the Q400 easily has the best flight model, most personality, and best performance, the NGX also has alot more (free) learning tolls available, imo the best overall quality, and will give you a great initial overview for commercial flight operations. It is also in use the most of any airplane, so finding flights will be a breeze. After that I'd get the Q400, which has similar depth than the NGX but less automation, more character and can be challenging to hand fly. Last I'd get the 777 to fill in the gap for long range operations.      

Another vote for the Q400! If you like turboprops, it is undoubtedly the best one available for FSX and an absolute pleasure to fly (although landing smoothly, as in the real world aircraft, takes a little practice!).

Bill

Thank you all for the wonderfully detailed responses. I have thought about it more, and I'm now 90% sure I will be buying the Q400. I will wait and think about it for a few days while I wait for my computer to arrive, but my first choice is now definitely the Q400 (and it has the added bonus of being available from JustFlight, so I can get reward points). Also, BeechPapa, you are right. I will get into the J41 as well either while I'm learning the Q400 or right after. And I do plan on getting all of them at some point- hopefully the NGX next (unless Razbam releases their SAAB 340 early, in which case i'll be on it like white on rice  B) ).

When you get the q400, get some experience with it via manuals, YouTube vids, forums etc... After you acquire some initial experience, Airline2sim has a great 8 hr. tutorial with RL flight crews. If you don't have an understanding of the plane on an intermediate level, you might get a bit lost with this tutorial though. I got it on sale for $15. Well worth it and takes the Q400 to another level.

Enjoy.

cheers,

Brian

You're gonna love the q400. You couldn't go wrong choosing any on that list, they are all cream of the crop, but you will have a ton of fun flying the MJ Q400. It gives the feeling of flight better than any other addon (the dynamics engine is NASA-derived). I also enjoy the cabin announcements/music it plays to passengers quite a bit. Talking about how much fun this plane is makes me wanna go fly it right now. :) 

Two major tips that helped me... rudder trim really makes landings and takeoffs easier. And when landing, don't completely idle throttle till the wheels are touching the ground. It drops like a stone. There's a lot more to the plane than that, but those are the things I keep having to remind myself. 

Have fun!

Agree about Q400. One of the best

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The airline2sim tutorial looks wonderful and I'll definitely be picking it up as well. It's too bad it was removed from the JF website though (those rewards points really do add up). I wonder why it was removed?

You'll love the Q400, it's one of the best simulations available for FSX in any category.  Few things in FSX beat the thrill of nailing a flaps 40 landing in bad weather.

Richard P. Kelly