Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Is a patch coming to fix the loss of contrast/color reflections in clouds in 2.3?

I'm assuming others are seeing this since others on the P3D forum reported it and sure enough, it's dreadful.  Quite frankly this is way worse for me than the performance hit in clouds that indeed does remain an issue.  Now clouds appear drab, w/o contrast, don't reflect hues in sunrise/sunset conditions as they always did, and look so bland they look not unlike silhouettes in many situations now.   Getting quite tired of uninstalling everything though if this isn't changed it's time to go back to 2.2.  I think as w/ new Win OS', I'm going to avoid upgrading to the next full versions upon release as LM does not seem to care about doing things like making this very realistic cloud lighting behavior simply disappear from all former versions and simply ignoring it.  P3D V2 seems more and more like one ongoing alpha release that you get to pay for.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for posting this on avsim.  I'm a lurker with p3d aspirations that wants to avoid all the wasted time and gnashing of teeth that seems to go with each successive release.  Reading this, and the other issues talked about i this forum, affirm that it's still not time for me to jump in.  The only issue that I have with FSX is that it's not P3D, but also I don't waste time, nor gnash my teeth, dealing with that.  I guess laziness and lack of inspiration is getting the better of me.  For those who aren't like me, thanks for your contributions towards furthing p3d.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

OP, not sure what you're seeing - have any screenshots? The cloudscape looks fantastic at sunrise / sunset on my rig with HDR enabled (I use OpusFSI with REX textures)...

For those who aren't like me, thanks for your contributions towards furthing p3d.

You're welcome?! You don't know what you're missing without trying it (particluarly as you can run it in parallel with FSX, and a monthly trial is $9)...but I'm not going to turn it into one of those threads.

I hope a patch is coming shortly to fix this, otherwise i will also go back to v2.2.

@DylanM, you can see the screenshot here: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=8190

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

OP, not sure what you're seeing - have any screenshots?

No, but I'm intrigued you're apparently not seeing this.  I stumbled upon the post on P3D forum so clearly several others have seen it.   You can go here to see screenshots posted by others:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=8190

Thanks for posting this on avsim.  I'm a lurker with p3d aspirations that wants to avoid all the wasted time and gnashing of teeth that seems to go with each successive release.  Reading this, and the other issues talked about i this forum, affirm that it's still not time for me to jump in.  The only issue that I have with FSX is that it's not P3D, but also I don't waste time, nor gnash my teeth, dealing with that.  I guess laziness and lack of inspiration is getting the better of me.  For those who aren't like me, thanks for your contributions towards furthing p3d.

You're welcome.  I have been a very staunch support of P3D V2.x, but quite frankly I'm tired of going thru the ritual of uninstalling the entire application PLUS multiple add ons.   I've lost my early hope & respect for the LM team as well-early on they communicated regularly about progress, and it seemed quite hopeful.  Now I rarely see anything but posts like this one:

And no replies, no comments from LM--just paying customers crying out in the dark.  This has been the norm there in large part for several months.  In fact, I posted my own proposal about coming out w/ an interim patch to just restore the lighting effects on clouds so that we wouldn't need to spend another few hours R&Ring P3D back to 2.2 or whatever.  It was deleted outright by their 3rd party police force as they didn't like the implication in the title of the post, 'Earth to LM come in please....   I gave them $200 for this sort of treatment.   Yes, by all means, hold off on it.   Oh it has promise alright, but really it's in such a state of development what we really are is paying, not paid, beta testers, and in this situation I do not appreciate being given the mushroom treatment. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

No, but I'm intrigued you're apparently not seeing this.  I stumbled upon the post on P3D forum so clearly several others have seen it.   You can go here to see screenshots posted by others:

You're welcome.  I have been a very staunch support of P3D V2.x, but quite frankly I'm tired of going thru the ritual of uninstalling the entire application PLUS multiple add ons.   I've lost my early hope & respect for the LM team as well-early on they communicated regularly about progress, and it seemed quite hopeful.  Now I rarely see anything but posts like this one:

And no replies, no comments from LM--just paying customers crying out in the dark.  This has been the norm there in large part for several months.  In fact, I posted my own proposal about coming out w/ an interim patch to just restore the lighting effects on clouds so that we wouldn't need to spend another few hours R&Ring P3D back to 2.2 or whatever.  It was deleted outright by their 3rd party police force as they didn't like the implication in the title of the post, 'Earth to LM come in please....   I gave them $200 for this sort of treatment.   Yes, by all means, hold off on it.   Oh it has promise alright, but really it's in such a state of development what we really are is paying, not paid, beta testers, and in this situation I do not appreciate being given the mushroom treatment. 

LM responded:

Sorry for the lack of response in this thread guys. The extreme variation of lighting across clouds in 2.2 was actually a bug. It looked particularly nasty in densely overcast weather where it would result in broad stripes across the cloud cover, and even in lighter cloud cover, a lot of sprites which would be dark for no reason. It certainly adds more variation, but it isn't correct. That being said, it is pretty easy to re-enable it.

Change line 313 in cloud.fx from

GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, spriteCenter.xyz );

to

GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, groupCenter.xyz );

Zach Heylmun

Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team

It certainly adds more variation, but it isn't correct. That being said, it is pretty easy to re-enable it.
Change line 313 in cloud.fx from
GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, spriteCenter.xyz );
to
GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, groupCenter.xyz );
Zach Heylmun
Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team

Thank you Zach I will give it a whirl.  Is there any scaling potential, or is it all or none?

Noel

I'm assuming others are seeing this since others on the P3D forum reported it and sure enough, it's dreadful.  Quite frankly this is way worse for me than the performance hit in clouds that indeed does remain an issue.  Now clouds appear drab, w/o contrast, don't reflect hues in sunrise/sunset conditions as they always did, and look so bland they look not unlike silhouettes in many situations now.   Getting quite tired of uninstalling everything though if this isn't changed it's time to go back to 2.2.  I think as w/ new Win OS', I'm going to avoid upgrading to the next full versions upon release as LM does not seem to care about doing things like making this very realistic cloud lighting behavior simply disappear from all former versions and simply ignoring it.  P3D V2 seems more and more like one ongoing alpha release that you get to pay for.

I totally agree with you!  Over the Andes this morning, I hit violent thunder and lightning storms....and yet...the clouds were as white as cotton puff balls. You are right...in v2.2, you would have the real-world darkening of the under-belly of the cloud as it held water vapor to the bursting point.   There are no longer any ominous cloud depictions as you head into foul weather.. 

I'm going to alter that line, as well....much more preferred.  

Post Edit:  Rain clouds, now look like rain clouds again!  :P

What I saw in the screenshots showing the effect in v2.2 looked like what I remember from Mogwaisoft Shade. I wonder if LM could incorporate this kind of subtle lighting on the clouds too?

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Thank you Zach I will give it a whirl. Is there any scaling potential, or is it all or none?

I'm not zach. I just cut and pasted his response from the LM board (from the link you posted earlier).

I'm not zach. I just cut and pasted his response from the LM board (from the link you posted earlier).

Thank you for doing that!  I used that info to edit the Cloud.fx file....and Happy Camper, once more....