Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Instrument Panels - Want to Upgrade - Advice please?

Hi this is my current set-up:

10580108_10203881721937939_2889975073717

I would like to have instruments in front of me above the yoke so that I can go all clean and 'out of the window' on the monitors, but don't know where to go next. Any advice?

I have a GTX760 with 3 monitors attached, and running Nvidia's Surround widescreen to save on framerates. I have an iPad currently running a moving map (RemoteFlight Map) which I use as my GPS. 

Saitek has its instruments for $770, are there any others? Could I somehow run a fourth screen that just displays instruments? I have a spare dual core PC downstairs, as well as a dual core laptop, but I'd have to buy another monitor..

All help appreciated!!!

Have you considered trackiIR 5 and NVIDIA 3D Vision as a bit of a change and upgrade? Check out the recent review of trackIR on this avsim site and with 3d vision you can look around a 3d cockpit and move your up head in and out if you need to see a bit of the cockpit up close such as the overhead panel etc. you can also check your 6, 9 and 3 oc locks for traffic jus as you would in the real cockpit. It is literally an amazing experience once it is set up and running.

I have the saitek instrument, radio, 2 x multipanel and autopilot panels with yoke, throttle and pedals. I also have 3 monitors, a 3d vision panel and 2 d panels. The 3d is used for the cockpit and window views where the FOV is controlled by my head movement with trackIR. One 2d panel is used for the captains cdu and over panel switches. The other is used for a tracking map so I know exactly where I am in the world and it relation to the runway on ils approaches. Love this setup and don't feel any need to buy anything else

Various phases I went thru:

Laptop Networked

DSC01190.jpg

Extra Monitors

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

Custom setups

e422e2e4.jpg

be2f8b5a750c339de3a529c6c6b3a0dd_zps713b

Thanks for the ideas! I think Track IR 5 might be my next step, then. For instruments, I could use Remote Flight's gauges for the iPad, and use Remote Flight Map instead on my iPod. This will give me a nice set up.

But then I could set these things out where there should be and maybe build a dashboard to mount them in??! :0

Just found out that I can actually have a fourth screen operating with an undocked view, along side Nvidia's Three Screen Surround... I could put instruments on a small monitor mounted ontop of my yoke. 

Are there any software packages that relay instruments to a screen? I've tried undocking the VC and zooming in, but it doesn't work very well...

Thanks everyone, I've done it, I've built myself a light aircraft cockpit .... based on a Piper Cherokee or Archer. It's complete with leatherette upholstery on the glareshield, carpet in the footweel, instruments on my iPad via Remote Flight, a pedestal for the throttle and trim wheel ... its extremely cool! I have zero home improvement/DIY skills, but lots of experience in Roman and prehistoric re-enactment, so I can research, plan, plan some more, then have a go at building :) 

Chuffed to bits by the result, its 10x better than what I imagined I'd end up with, it really is. 

Best part about it is the cost:

Wood - left over by builders from our new kitchen

Paint - In my workshop

Carpet - Free offcut from local shop

Decorative Switches and knobs - scavenged from my workshop

Leatherette - £5 eBay

Fuses/Screw Covers - £1

iPod/GPS Mount - £2.50 eBay

Remote Flight Gauges - £11

Done! Total cost £19.50

My wife is arranging to buy Track IR5 for me for Christmas :)

SAM_0858_zps40cbd380.jpg

SAM_0847_zpscdcf80a0.jpg

SAM_0855_zps111ae5c5.jpg

Paul, looks great!

How do you like the iPad six pack gauges?

Looks, behavior etc..

Bert