Sign in to follow this  
okupton

Making the Switch

So... this question has been asked by many already, but is it worth making the switch from FSX to P3d V2.3? I almost pulled the trigger last night and dropped $60.00 on the Academic License.  My hesitation, like most others, is how well will my addons work with P3dV2?  I see on Aerosoft and a lot of other websites that products are compatible with P3D, but doesn't necessarily mean compatible with p3dV2.  I prefer flying IFR jets than VFR light aircraft, and don't know how many options there really are for P3DV2 fully compatible commercial airliners.  Another hesitation for me is Atlanta is my favorite airport to fly in and out of.  While I realize Imaginesim doesn't make the best scenery, their ATL isn't compatible with P3dV2.  Does anyone know of an alternative scenery for ATL? Finally, Aerosoft's AES isn't and likely will never be compatible with P3D.  So, how many payware airports have moving jetways?  Without AES, I would imagine that most sceneries just have static jetways in P3D. I guess it comes down to is it worth the hassle of starting over with not necessarily new(but significantly improved) simulator missing addons that I have spoiled by in FSX?  Anyway, I appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has about my concerns.

Orman

There does seem to be some myth about P3D V2.3 only being for GA aircraft ... I'm not sure where that myth started?  I've heard it several times from Word Not Allowed and others.  Commercial aircraft work fine in P3D with perhaps the exception of PMDG - which is a deal breaker for some.  So if PMDG is where you're at, then you may want to wait to see if PMDG get onboard with P3D.

Otherwise I have these commercial aircraft and they work fine in P3D:

CS 777  (hard on performance)

CS L1011 (ok on performance)

Aerosoft Airbus X (very good on performance)

Quality Wings BAE 146 (RJ100) (very good on performance but stay away from HD paints)

Majestic Dash-8 Q400 (very good on performance)

There is also iFly 737 NGX (I don't own that) and several other commercial aircraft that work in P3D.

Don't know about ImagineSim?  But FlightBeam, FSDT, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, Orbx airports work well in P3D (some are big VAS consumers so you'll need to be careful using them).  AES is apparently not going to ever make it to P3D ... seems a little silly to me, but it is what it is so I'm using GSX.  On a side note, Ultimate Traffic 2's feature to "enable Jetways" seems to work on just about any airport which is kinda nice.

You'll need a good GPU for P3D ... a Titan in P3D makes a much more significant difference than a Titan in FSX. 

But I highly recommend you check into some of the optimization you can do to help with P3D performance (specifically clouds).

Cheers, Rob.

THanks Rob.  I really appreciate the response and advise.  I'm running a GTX 760 and a i7 3rd generation at 3.9 ghz.  FSX looks pretty good.  I can use my money back guarantee if I don't like what I see with my rig in P3D as I will never invest $1,000 on a Titan.  PMDG is a big hang up, but I hear the ifly 737 is a very solid product (if it wokrs 100% in P3D I'd probably get it).  Basically, I can either keep investing money into FSX by buying the PMDG 777 next or go ahead and make the move to P3D.  I want to make the move to P3D because I feel that inevitably that is what will happen in the future.  Having to buy PMDG  products for FSX and then for P3D if they finally figure out their EULA problems seems like a waste of money to me.  

Orman

So... this question has been asked by many already, but is it worth making the switch from FSX to P3d V2.3? I almost pulled the trigger last night and dropped $60.00 on the Academic License.  My hesitation, like most others, is how well will my addons work with P3dV2?  I see on Aerosoft and a lot of other websites that products are compatible with P3D, but doesn't necessarily mean compatible with p3dV2.  I prefer flying IFR jets than VFR light aircraft, and don't know how many options there really are for P3DV2 fully compatible commercial airliners.  Another hesitation for me is Atlanta is my favorite airport to fly in and out of.  While I realize Imaginesim doesn't make the best scenery, their ATL isn't compatible with P3dV2.  Does anyone know of an alternative scenery for ATL? Finally, Aerosoft's AES isn't and likely will never be compatible with P3D.  So, how many payware airports have moving jetways?  Without AES, I would imagine that most sceneries just have static jetways in P3D. I guess it comes down to is it worth the hassle of starting over with not necessarily new(but significantly improved) simulator missing addons that I have spoiled by in FSX?  Anyway, I appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has about my concerns.

I use ImagineSim's VIDP, though its for FSX only, it works fine just by copying over to P3D. However there were some performance issues in P3D compared to FSX. I finally managed to get rid of them by removing some taxiway bgls. I going to make a good guess that ATL may be the same.

Apart from what Rob mentioned, CLS 747 also performs good. CS 777 is terrible...

Regarding AES, the alternative GSX works well in P3D. Jetways work almost everywhere.

LM offers a no-questions refund for 60 days after purchase.  That should be plenty of time to figure out if your current FSX add-ons are P3D-compatible.

Can you imagine MS ever allowing customers to get their money back after the sale?

When you say the captain sim 777 is terrible, do you mean the fsx version or the one released for p3d? Maybe the only difference is the installer

Orman

When you say the captain sim 777 is terrible, do you mean the fsx version or the one released for p3d? Maybe the only difference is the installer

The P3D version. The frame-rates in VC are terrible, barely flyable...

the ifly 737 is a very solid product

I was a beta tester for the iFly 737 in FSX. It's a very good aircraft. They've basically ported that version over to P3D. I paid the $80 for it. The upside was the 30 money back gaurantee. I exercised that very quickly. On my system performance wise the iFly aircraft was probably worse than the CS 777. PMDG is going to make their aircraft available for P3D. The question is, when will it happen and at what price. I have both the Aerosoft Airbus and the Majestic Q400. Both are solid aircraft for P3D.

NAX669.png

Man am I glad I posted this thread.  Mwilk and Duke, you just saved me some serious cash! 

Orman

Cannot say I have seen the great performance with some ad dons others are saying are fine.

The AEX works but stick it with a UK 2000 airport some AI and weather and things start to stutter

also be aware that P3d does not offer a full screen mode so there are issue with micro stutters LM believe this is something Nvidia should look at and not themselves..see there forum.

But on the plus side it is a great looking sim once everything is ironed out it will supper cede FSX but not yet for airline flying IMHO?

All the best

I think you might be right Flaps15.  P3D looks incredible but maybe it's not time for me to jump on board since I am more into the IFR/airline flights.

Orman

Hi,

I use the iFly 737NG aircraft within P3D 2.3 and have no problems.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I use the iFly 737NG aircraft within P3D 2.3 and have no problems.

Hi Mike,

Do you have any performance issues with the iFly 737NG?  I don't have the product and have looked at it a few times but I see a lot of people reporting performance issues with the iFly 737NG.  The CS 777 performs about 33% lower than the Airbus X (i.e. CS 777 = 20 fps and Airbus X = 30 fps at same location/weather/settings) ... Does the iFly indeed perform lower than the CS 777?

P3D looks incredible but maybe it's not time for me to jump on board since I am more into the IFR/airline flights.

Still not sure I understand where this comes from?  Anyway, here is a flight I did from YSCB to NZCH with a lot of add-ons (listed in video details).  This was done prior to the LM "cloud fix" so you see some fps drop in the clouds on arrival.  I would not be able to complete a flight like this in FSX without compromising graphics considerably more than I do in P3D (my P3D settings are listed in video info) ... even used GSX at departure and arrival airports.  600MB VAS usage is pretty good considering add-ons.

Cheers, Rob.

Great video Rob!  I meant that even though P3D is looking incredible, maybe I should give it some more time before I get it.  In FSX, I am flying some really incredible airliner simulations that maybe aren't working 100% in P3D yet.  So it would maybe be like taking a step backwards for me as far as aircraft simulation goes but leaps forward in quality and stability of the simulator platform.  I think I will probably buy the Academic License and go from there.  Like was mentioned earlier, if I don't like it, I've got 60 days to get my money back!

Orman

I fly the cs777 and the cs L1011 and both work really well for me. If I were you i would just give it a try. You will likely be pleasantly surprised with the level of visual immersion. It's just 60 bucks for goodness sakes and you can get your money back. Hardly worth overthinking.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations