Sign in to follow this  
okupton

Making the Switch

I'm also running a top end system, so YMMV.

Cool, thanks Mike ... YMMV ... is that in Australia ... joke!  hehe

Cheers, Rob.

I waxed lyrical on these forums somewhere when P3D 2.3 came out about its smoothness - almost matching XPX which was my sim of choice - but over time it has lost its smoothness. I do not know why.

I have tried turning down the rendering options but to no avail. I did read about deleting the contents of the shader file (on the basis it will rebuild itself) but this had no effect either. You can see my system in my profile ( I think it is pretty high end but things move on so quickly). I can't abide the micro-stuttering (sorry Rob it is the only description I can think of - particularly noticeable out of the side windows). Have tried V sync with target frames on and off. I have a clean nVidia profile. I have tried HDR on and off. I have put the clouds fix in (only to now have tiny little clouds which do not look realistic at all even with REX); virtually all the 'tweaks' I can find but to no avail.

I also still find that the scenery is constantly adjusting its focus (e.g. rocky mountain rendering takes a while even when up close to become clearly focused) and buildings and trees still pop up (trees less so) which is an immersion killer.

Very disappointed after such a good start and I miss the A2A Cherokee so much but the stuttering frames going passed the window just kill the sim for me. I can't compare with FSX because I had a different system then but I don't remember the stutter being such a problem and I have since given all my FSX software and add ons to the Vision of Flight charity. I will keep P3D and wait for either an update by LM or nVidia for a cure. Maybe it will need the 64 bit version before it can be fixed properly - although the 32 bit version of XPX is silky smooth as is the 64 bit version. Or SLI? Who knows - but LR can do it with XPX so there must be a solution.

So for the meantime my affair is over and I have gone back to XPX (it has its limitations but I must say the stark contrast on returning in terms of feel and visual with HD v2 Mesh in the places I like to fly was eye opening).

But I will and do keep trying P3D every week with a different tweak - hopefully one day it will come good and I can fully enjoy the A2A stable again - I was also so looking forward to trying the Real Air P3D products which are coming soon to P3D. Please LM or nVidia find the problem soon.

BTW - PMDG confirmed on the 12 Sept that they have solved the licensing issues and have named the products they are working on for P3D (and XPX) if you visit their forum on this site. (Sorry if this is well known but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread unless I have missed it).

Excellent, this is good news ... P3D as is with the F22 (with weapons attachments) I've been able to track aircraft and lock aircraft with the AIM-9 and AIM-120 but never able to successfully fire the weapon

Rob, it's TacPack-based FSX@War that's in closed beta. No beta has been officially announced yet for TacPack for P3d. Also, one of TacPack's authors did a short evaluation of P3d Pro Plus, prompted by the fact that  the implementation by LM of working weapons is very similar to what TacPack does to achieve the same end. The difference is that LM started from scratch while TacPack's developers had a large head start in getting weapons to work on the ESP test bed.

I believe that I posted this before, but in case you missed it. Dino Cattaneo also develops some of his aircraft for a product similar to TacPack called Virtual Air combat Maneuvering Installation (aka vACMI):

http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkworks/web/index.php/go-to-our-software-shop/vacmi

vACMI works in both FSX and P3d 2.3, but it only works with Sim Skunkworks aircraft. You might have to register to see the details about vACMI or the aircraft. I do not know anything more about vACMI, except that Dino C is developing aircraft for it also.

Re my post above. New nVidia driver has fixed the stuttering. So if your choice is between FSX and P3D I would say P3D - it is the one being developed. New nVidia driver gives a very smooth expereince and I am running three monitors with very high settings in P3D, with REX thunderstorm, heavy rain and hitting a smooth 40 - 60 FPS. Stunning. (Albeit only tested around Prince Rupert with PNW or is it South Alaska and in the A2A Cherokee).

So now really torn between XPX and P3D. But what a great problem to have!

cheers

Peter

vACMI works in both FSX and P3d 2.3, but it only works with Sim Skunkworks aircraft.

This is very good to know, thank you!

I'll be working some v2.4 testing this weekend for those that may think 2.3 is EOL ... more to come folks, so be happy.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes I have p3d and like it a lot. I am still trying to figure out all of the different display settings, lots of new stuff! Frames aren't great but it is definitely smoother than fsx even with single digit frames. I had the 340 driver which had the triangle problem but haven't tried the new one yet. I'm deleting fsx tomorrow off of my HD and will attempt my first flight with my VA in P3D. Very excited and hopeful for P3D!

Orman

Lucky me : in FSX no stutters , perhaps once in a while a small jitter when making a large turn.

In P3D the same.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi. Just downloaded TACPAC + Dino Catterino's F-35. 

How to fire guns is not "detailed" in any of the help documentary nor in YouTube tutorial.

HELP!

(please)