Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

asus z87-a bios update help please

I'm about to update my bios but have two files showing in the usb when i perform the EZ Flash 2 update with a USB stick.

the files are Data.BIN and data5M.BIN

what one will i select guys? anyone have any experience on this?

Vernon Howells

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Neither, the BIOS should end with .CAP and Asus now states that you should update the BIOS with their BIOS Updater tool and not update through the UEFI or EZ Flash 2.

I do not know where you got this BIOS from, but the latest on the Asus website for the Z87-A is 2103 and the BIOS file name is Z87-A-ASUS-2103.CAP

You can download the BIOS updater and the 2103 BIOS at

http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax

After you download and unzip it go to the V2.00.02 and double click on the Update.exe file, select your BIOS and follow directions.  When it reboots you need to leave it alone and let if finish.  It may seem like it is taking awhile, but just wait until it is done!!!!!!!  It may reboot more than once before it is done.

After it is finished updating all UEFI settings will be at default.  After you update it you will have to get into the UEFI and put any OC settings and any other settings that you may have changed back in along with setting up which SSD/HD is your first boot priority ect.

Beware that updating your BIOS may cause your OC to become unstable.  If it does you will have to verify the stability of your OC and change settings as necessary to get it stable again.

Hi, i have found the file .CAP i only moved the updater folder. Done the update last night and everything is working fine, i carried it out by using the EZ flash 2.

Haven't set my OC settings but just using the asus optimal.

You mentioned SSD/HD which i have, what settings do you mean for these?

Vernon Howells

In UEFI you set your OS drive to first boot priority so it looks to boot off that first rather than looking at your DVD or a USB first.

Do you have the asus z87a aswell? and could you send some pics just not sure what i'm doing with that thankyou

Vernon Howells

I have an Asus Sabertooth Z87, the UEFI should look close to the same.

This picture shows boot option 1 and 2.  In this picture boot option 1 is my Samsung 840 Pro on Intel SATA port 2, this is my OS SSD.  Boot option 2 on Intel SATA port 1 is my DVD drive. 

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p339/idahosurge/40-BOOT-1B_zpse161736c.png

This picture shows the other boot options and how I have them setup.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p339/idahosurge/39-BOOT-1A_zpscc396681.png