Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

Another HD Mesh Scenery v3 preview - where I am ? :-)

Look at these screenshots, and "guess" where these were taken B)

c4_16.jpg

c4_11.jpg

c4_5.jpg

c4_112.jpg

You can see a lot more screenshots here (the regions name is in the link):

And yes, I know, that I have told for a long time, that I will not do this region because of the lack of good landclass data. But here I prove, that I never stop researching and experimenting. This time it is not based on one dataset but is a mixture of 3 (and a tiny bit of a fourth) major datasets where non of them would have worked on its own ... but when mixed in the right way (its the "special soup") then it can work quite well.

By the way: as I already announced in the Canada preview video post, I will now soon - really soon (in a few days) - start with the final data compilation for HD Mesh Scenery v3. This means especially, that the next OSM data pull is imminent ... The same is true for the airport data which will be used in the scenery generation (it has either already be pulled or will happen in the next days too).

From then on, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to complete the HD Mesh Scenery v3 creation, preparation, testing, packaging etc. (of course, only if nothing bad happens!).

Cool, good to see the HDMesh cover more ground. Forgive the pun :lol:

Super work Andras, that's a nice surprise and will go nicely with New Zealand. Looking forward to trying this out.

I was always very fond of Orbx's rendition of Australia, and this will be a welcome addition. Hopefully, someone will start modding and creating autogen and textures like we have in Europe :smile:

Super work Andras, that's a nice surprise and will go nicely with New Zealand. Looking forward to trying this out.

I was always very fond of Orbx's rendition of Australia, and this will be a welcome addition. Hopefully, someone will start modding and creating autogen and textures like we have in Europe :smile:

Yeah, I liked OrbX's Oz stuff too, but as the continent's fairly flat I'm not sure if I'll notice an improved mesh so much as in EU or NA. Improved autogen and especially textures would be welcome. Will definitely be installing this though and thanks one again Andras for all your hard work.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Keep pushing!  Excellent work!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Fantastic !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Yeah, I liked OrbX's Oz stuff too, but as the continent's fairly flat I'm not sure if I'll notice an improved mesh so much as in EU or NA. Improved autogen and especially textures would be welcome. Will definitely be installing this though and thanks one again Andras for all your hard work.

You are absolutely right in your assumptions! Australia is definitely not the perfect place for HD mesh (that was one other reasons why I hesitated for such a long time). There are many places where it does not make a big difference .... at least when it comes to elevation change. While at leas the ladnclass-ing will change quite a few places as I completely swapped out the old, lower res stuff ... but of course dry, sparsely vegetated plains will remain exactly that: dry,sparsely vegetated plains (in real life they are not much more "interesting" aswell) . On the other hand, there are - as I discovered myself - definitely a few regions in Australia which really "like" the HD approach ...

So in the end, there will be places to be enjoyed and places with less appeal (but which are neither too pleasing in real life either :P ) ... people will have to keep this in mind, and then they wont be disappointed.

And city sceneries (for the handful of big cities) will be a good accompaniment, as the landclass data (the urban density part) does not really bring out those - very - few skylines ...

Well the majority of the population and the majority of the flying occurs in the east coast arc Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane/Cairns. All with a fairly hilly/mountainous hinterlands and interesting coastlines so this new mesh will be an excellent addition to X-Plane.

Phil

Well, from a pure technical point of view, there is no reason to be incompatible .... From a content / artistic point of view, there is always some possibility of incompatibilities (for example, where the old mesh had no lake ... and now the lake appears and an object is in the middle of that lake). I think, at least most of it should be OK .... just for testing I have looked at ISDG Adelaide and Sydney, and both looked very good (I would even go as far as to say, that they will be a must have for HD Mesh Scenery v3 to perfection the cities ... which are never 100% optimal in generic mesh scenery with autogen).