Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I wonder why...such great Global 1.30 performance in FSX, but not P3D.x

I'm not seeing a difference. These "comparison" shots don't appear to be in the same location and both sims have roads going over buildings.

Not impressed with either sim's handling of this. Come on ORBX - - You can do better.

From the shots shown, FSX definitely populates the tiles better than P3D. There's no argument there.

The vector roads going over buildings is something, I believe, that cannot be eradicated and we will have to live with it.  The vector roads are on a different layer and do not have any relevance to or knowledge of the textures they run over.

Unfortunately, this is what occurs when you have the 'approximation' that is landclass and ground textures, displayed with the 'reality' of the real world vector road data.

I'm not seeing a difference. These "comparison" shots don't appear to be in the same location and both sims have roads going over buildings.

Not impressed with either sim's handling of this. Come on ORBX - - You can do better.

The roads do that, in the way that Vector works. That is not an issue with Global.  The issue is that the auto-gen in P3D is not  properly being rendered....  The A/B comparison of the suburbs seen, clearly shows that.  Suburbs in FSX, look like suburbs.  I don't know what to call that in the P3D output...  The location is the same....look at KFNT in the background...same orientation.  I'm above the same general area of the downtown Flint...and I don't have to be exactly the dead-on by the foot, to show the graphics are totally different...this isn't a one square block of homes...or downtown...this is about the whole area representation.  I don't need to be on top of the same house to show this....

"Ok...I'm running P3D v2.4 right now...taking a flight in a 737-800...and simply can't stand v1.30 any longer.  I know that Global v1.20 looked no different than it's FSX version, whether it had some files that it did not overwrite...I don't care...it looked great!   I'm shutting down my flight...and hoping that I can revert back to v1.20 without screwing up my P3D install. " 

"I never thought from the get go, that Orbx Global v.120 had anything truly wrong with it...and THAT...is where I wish to visually be once more...

Bye-Bye P3D v1.30...(waving hand...)  "Bye-Bye...".

"Now..to reinstall 1.10----->1.20 and be done with it...  Wish me luck...."

Ses

The roads do that, in the way that Vector works. That is not an issue with Global.  The issue is that the auto-gen in P3D is not  properly being rendered....  The A/B comparison of the suburbs seen, clearly shows that.  Suburbs in FSX, look like suburbs.  I don't know what to call that in the P3D output...  The location is the same....look at KFNT in the background...same orientation.  I'm above the same general area of the downtown Flint...and I don't have to be exactly the dead-on by the foot, to show the graphics are totally different...this isn't a one square block of homes...or downtown...this is about the whole area representation.  I don't need to be on top of the same house to show this....

"Ok...I'm running P3D v2.4 right now...taking a flight in a 737-800...and simply can't stand v1.30 any longer.  I know that Global v1.20 looked no different than it's FSX version, whether it had some files that it did not overwrite...I don't care...it looked great!   I'm shutting down my flight...and hoping that I can revert back to v1.20 without screwing up my P3D install.  

I never thought from the get go, that Orbx Global v.120 had anything truly wrong with it...and THAT...is where I wish to visually be once more...

Bye-Bye P3D v1.30...(waving hand...)  "Bye-Bye...".

Now..to reinstall 1.10----->1.20 and be done with it...  Wish me luck....

Ses

Mitch,

Post a screenshot of Michigan in P3D with 1.20 if you succeed.

Do you mind if I link to your images in an ORBX forum post?

I'd like to hear their comments as this may be by design.

Daz

Mitch,

Post a screenshot of Michigan in P3D with 1.20 if you succeed.

Do you mind if I link to your images in an ORBX forum post?

I'd like to hear their comments as this may be by design.

Daz

Daz...here is your shot that you asked for...with that free-way cloverleaf...same as I shot in FSX... and no problems...please do what you wish with this thread...

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afI

Daz...here is a successful reversion back to v1.20...same shot and area, just north of the Flint downtown..but NOW, you have a suburb that resembles one..and in P3D again...look at the orientation of the houses...you have streets, homes ON the streets...neighborhoods, once more, out to the north horizon from the downtown core.    Anyway...if anybody else wants v1.20 back..you need to run v1.10...then the 1.20 patch..and then...if you have OpenLC Euopre, you need to run the EAST module. Defrag...and you are done.

Post Edit:

I removed the reference to my feelings that v1.30 is 'broken'.  I should not colorize it.  I'll let the viewer decide for themselves what 'is'...when comparing all the screenshots  P3D v1.30/FSX 1.30/P3D v1.20   You be the judge..., and that's fine by me!

Global v1.20 in P3d v2.4:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afb

Whew!

Happy once more...  

As a sidenote on roads cutting through houses etc.: I more and more get under the impression, this whole independent module Global approach being basically flawed. A unique Open Streetmap based approach would have avoided this. X-Plane, while looking boring barebones, has stunning OSM based scenery using World2XPlane now.

But this is really a sidenote only as I don't want to hijack this interesting thread.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Daz...here is your shot that you asked for...with that free-way cloverleaf...same as I shot in FSX... and no problems...please do what you wish with this thread...

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afI

Daz...here is a successful reversion back to v1.20...same shot and area, just north of the Flint downtown..but NOW, you have a suburb that resembles one..and in P3D again...look at the orientation of the houses...you have streets, homes ON the streets...neighborhoods, once more, out to the north horizon from the downtown core.  I was right  v1.30 is BROKEN!   Anyway...if anybody else wants v1.20 back..you need to run v1.10...then the 1.20 patch..and then...if you have OpenLC Euopre, you need to run the EAST module. Defrag...and you are done.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afb

Whew!

Happy once more...  

Again lad, there is no sense in comparing two different shots. You need the same shot, same angle, same position, same time of year and time of day. Otherwise, we may as well be comparing apples and oranges....

Cheers!

Mitch,

I don't think 1.30 is broken, I think it has to do with landclass. I use SceneryTech and to be honest, it looks awful for the Michigan area:

GU8Kx.jpg

However, if I switch to stock landclass then everything to my eyes looks just like your FSX shots.

This is P3D v2.4 and Global 1.30.

First without vegetation to make it easier to see the suburbs:

c5oEI.jpg

...and now with the vegetation switched back on:

eLzgW.jpg

All looks OK to me.

Daz

Mitch,

I don't think 1.30 is broken, I think it has to do with landclass. I use SceneryTech and to be honest, it looks awful for the Michigan area:

Daz,  I decided to remove the reference 'broken' and to just let the viewer decide what is...and what isn't.  Fair enough.  For myself, I found P3D's version of Global 1.30 to be unsuitable, and reverted back to  1.20 that is, suitable. I hope that v1.3x might bring other elements that were better rendered (again...a personal opinion in play...) in v. 1.20...back in a further version of Global for how it is played out, with using P3D.x  I do though strongly feel that P3D notwithstanding, that FSX is a much better render platform for this product.  I just wanted P3D to resemble what suburbs and such looks like again...but,  they don't really touch what the product does, if FSX is under the hood.  That's too bad...

Yes, your displayed pics of 1.30 looked better than mine, for sure...

Cheers!

Mitch.  (I can at least look around, near KFNT, and not cringe...(smile).

Again lad, there is no sense in comparing two different shots. You need the same shot, same angle, same position, same time of year and time of day. Otherwise, we may as well be comparing apples and oranges....

Cheers!

Agree, and very much so, I don´t see the problems mentioned, maybe my level of OCD is low?

Hi All:

IMHO this is a very interesting discussion which could provide some valuable feedback to MSFS and P3D developers, that may potentially result in future enhancements of scenery design and resulting display by end users.

I'd respectfully like to suggest that "saved flights" in FSX and P3D be used to allow a more precise comparison of the 2 (increasingly different ?) flight sims and scenery add-on versions under discussion here.

I have personally opted to await further evolution and troubleshooting of the P3D 2.x code base by LM before allocating my limited available time and patience to porting content from FSX to that platform, so I am not personally aware of whether the current format of "saved flight" files (*.FLT, *.Wx, *.SPB files) of FSX and P3D can or cannot ...be directly used interchangeably without substantial manual modification.

Documentation on the content of "flight' files for both sims:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707071.aspx

http://www.prepar3d.com/sdk/Mission%20Creation%20Kit/FlightFiles.htm

I believe it would be very helpful to the future of add-on content development and  the scenery rendering engine development of P3D to have precise comparison screenshots by end users providing feedback, of flight scenarios which ensure identical positions of user aircraft and weather / lighting conditions which is made possible by (and most effectively guaranteed by) ...loading and use of information stored inside the above saved flight files.

I certainly understand and appreciate, though, the value of some screenshots used to identify scenery rendering issues in both flight sims even when they are 'not' from exactly identical flight scenarios.

But IMHO, (with usually limited time available to fly and inspect the resulting rendered FS world away from the intensively technical tasks FS development activities may involve), for developers to fine tune scenery content, and for LM to fine tune the P3D scenery rendering engine, it would be very helpful to both developers and (eventually) end users / consumers !  :wink:  to have such feedback in the form of sequential / side-by-side / alternating animated GIF files of screenshots ...taken with matching flight scenarios via saved flight files.

Thanks to all for their feedback to date, and for any future such efforts by the FS Community to provide detailed comparison images which might help developers enhance the experience of flying in both simulation environments. :smile:

GaryGB