Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

DSR - WOW - Must See

From reading other posts, I assume that because you did not select a 'new' DSR resolution from the P3D menu, then you are not seeing the effects of DSR at all as you are still running a bog standard resolution.

It is a stunning screenshot, but not produced by DSR.

Mitch

Which resolution did you choose from the P3D menu?

Daz

I chose 2048x2048, Daz.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afL

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/afk

Is DSR specific to the new 900 series video cards?  I thought that was something Nvidia was promoting with the 980 and 970.  Anyway, I have my  970 on backorder so hopefully will be able to test very soon (FSX only).

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Is DSR specific to the new 900 series video cards?  I thought that was something Nvidia was promoting with the 980 and 970.  Anyway, I have my  970 on backorder so hopefully will be able to test very soon (FSX only).

Mark, it can be run on any KEPLER (600 and up, series...)

I am running with it at an over sample setting of 2.0 times my native screen resolution of 1920x 1200 and a 33 percent (default) Smoothness factor. There are two added settings to your GLOBAL settings..do not look under a specific sim...  This is a keeper!  Only install the DRIVER portion of the notebook driver. Leave your present whatever's alone...

I understand that nVidia is going to come out with the same feature for desk-top Kepler based cards.  I then will move back to my proper driver suite...but for now...WOW!

I might give it a try on my 1080p TV that I run P3D on.

I have a 65" UHD TV in the living room - I bet it would be great on that.

It seems to be working fine with my desk top Samsung running 1920x1200 native.  Nothing has blown up yet...or started smoking...lol......BTW,  a very important observation---this up-sampling in no way, adversely affects FPS ranges.  I am not seeing a lot of 80 plus frames now..but am staying quite nicely in the 55-70 range!  Not bad...not bad at all!

The Happy Dancer....

Mitch told yah this rocks - glad your liking it - great shots - I dont know what its doing but man its doing it - like a new sim - stunning smooth sim now - rock on

Rich Sennett

One thing to note, is the Smoothing effect will not show on screenshots. Also screenshots will be at the resolution selected, so to get the effect of the downsampling you need to scale the screen down to your native resolution.

It won't harm your monitor regardless of the resolution you pick. The image is being rendered on your card at that setting, then downsampled to output at your monitors native resolution... so its harmless.

Calm down everybody... Just had to chime in here because some things said here are just not right.

If you choose the same old native res for your monitor (from the list inside the simulator) then DSR will have NO effect what so ever.

The whole point of DSR is to use the new available higher resolution added in the global section of Nvidia contol panel.

The sim will then render in this extra high resolution and downsample to your native res.

The result will look more or less blurry depending on the smoothness value you choose.

I don't use P3D but have tried in in both FSX and FS9 and it works fine in both, just doesn't produce any better results than the old MSAA + SGAA.

Try it out and you'll hopefully understand.

This thread does not refer to FSX - this is P3D and it does in fact make a big difference

Rich Sennett

Since this is a GLOBAL level setting it will affect any 3d accelerated software, so P3D, FSX, FS9... doesn't matter.

Please explain how you think it's working for you if you're still choosing your native res in the sim.

Please explain how you think it's working for you if you're still choosing your native res in the sim.

Good question - I do not know - I do see the results and they are unquestionable - I see a stutter free smooth great looking sim with better performance and I not questioning it just enjoying it

Rich Sennett

Well it's really easy to confirm if it's really doing anything or not.

Choose 2.00x or 4.00x even to be really sure.

DSR will affect the whole screen, including the menu, which will be nearly unreadable when using 4.00x because the text gets so small.

If your menu looks normal then you know it's not doing anything and you're just seeing what you had before.

Oh the power of placebo...

And Rich, try selecting the new higher resolution in P3D (like you did when it got blurry, ^_^ )and test different smoothness values.

This way you'll actually see changes happening and thus you know that DSR accually is working.

Setting different smoothness values when using your native res changes nothing, thus you know DSR is not working.

Well it's really easy to confirm if it's really doing anything or not.

Choose 2.00x or 4.00x even to be really sure.

DSR will affect the whole screen, including the menu, which will be nearly unreadable when using 4.00x because the text gets so small.

If your menu looks normal then you know it's not doing anything and you're just seeing what you had before.

Oh the power of placebo...

P3D runs in full screen mode un-like FSX - could be a factor - placebo not even close

Rich Sennett

P3D runs in full screen mode un-like FSX - could be a factor - placebo not even close

Really? My FSX runs perctly fine in true full screen mode. It's P3D that runs in a borderless window (fake fullscreen).

But whatever, it's really quite simple, the only way to use DSR is to select the higher res inside the simulator.

My screen for example is 1920x1200 and if I choose 4.00x in Nvidia Control Panel (Global settings) I will get a new resolution inside FSX (or FS9) thats 3840x2400. If I want DSR I have to

choose that resolution which gets sampled back down to my native 1920x1200 and this process takes its toll on the gfx card for sure and the resulting image quality isn't very good either.

Notice that the value for DSR - Factors is the AREA of the rendering resolution. Choosing 4.00x is not your X and Y times 4, it's 4 times the total screen area.

Can you post two pictures guys?

One with and with out, because I'm still confused about this feature

Thank you

I have to say this DSR tweak has made a positive impact on my P3D. I would say, an extremely positive one! Keep in mind that I am using a 46" Samsung LED HDTV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and I'm sitting about 3-4' from the TV, so this screen size at 1080 does not scream sharpness.

Now, I have enabled DSR Factor x4 and the difference is DAY AND NIGHT! Now I can easily read all the VC gauges without any issues. Everything looks very sharp and clean. I also knocked down the AA within P3D to 2X, disabled VSync and set my FPS slider to unlimited.

Result? Butter!

It looks nothing like before. My TV now looks as sharp as my Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor!

Performance wise, I am averaging 30+ with Rob Ainscough's 4K settings for P3D 2.4, except that I dropped AA to 2X. My CPU is an i7-3770K @ 4.7GHz and my videocard is an eVGA GTX680+ 4GB @ 1.29GHz core/6GHz memory clock.

Thanks again for posting this, Richard!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️