Sign in to follow this  
KingGhidorah

Network connection now broken with SP1

Oh No!

Just installed SP1 (fsx) for ASN.  This is a networked configuration that was working absolutely perfectly before.  After SP1, ASN will not connect now and sits there with the message "waiting for simulator".

During the installation process, the installer asked me to copy ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe over to the FSX machine and run it.  I did.  Installation proceeded normally, and the ASN version is now 5391.  The Simulation Install Folder Path, and Application Data Folder path are the same as they were before, pointing to the correct directories on the FSX machine.   As usual the next time I ran FSX, I was asked to authorize the bootstrap process, which I did.

I have reverified all the steps to set up a network configuration.  It has been configured this way successfully for a long time.  I reran the AI_Traffic.exe as a diagnostic step.  It did not connect (it certainly did before the last time I checked it)

Like I said, everything was working before.  So what is broken now, after SP1?  Should I uninstall the "ASConnect for FSX Installer" item that is newly listed in my Server(FSX machine) Control Panel?  Very frustrated with this-diagnosing a new problem is not how I wished to spend my morning!:{

In my case ASN also did not want to network anymore. Fortunately my firewall came up automatically, saying ASN was blocked and offering to deblock which I accepted and ASN networked without problems afterwards.

b rdsg Dick

I use ASN on a network also and updated to ASN SP1 using both the update version then full version and both times it connected and worked ok. so I don't think its a problem with the program,

Glen

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I should have reported back here that the problem was resolved, and it doesn't look like it was caused by ASN SP1 installation, but rather that I just happened to notice the problem as a result of using FSX for the first time in a week as a result of the update.

For some reason that I cannot determine, Simconnect on the Client machine can no longer resolve the network name of the computer down to it's local IP address.  So in the Simconnect.cfg file on the Client machine, which referred to the FSX Server machine by name (and has worked for years), I had to change it to explicitly state the local IP address in the "Address=" field.   Once I did this, the AI_Traffic.exe program that we use to debug the connection worked immediately, just like it always has.

I wrote a post about it in the Simconnect forum hoping that someone with more knowledge of LANs than me, could tell me what might have changed to cause this.  With this change to the Simconnect.cfg file, ASN is connecting now, but I still don't know what the problem with my LAN might be.  All other networking tasks appear to be normal, and indeed in the Network and Sharing center of Windows, I can still see my FSX Server machine by it's name.