Sign in to follow this  
RKOines

ASNext SP1 causes long system pauses

After installing ASNext SP1 I started getting random pauses where Windows Task Manager shows no CPU usage for FSX and FSX NOT RESPONDING message lasting about 8 minutes.  After the 8 minute pause the system just picks up where it left off.  This has happened on five different flights using both NGX and 777 models with just FSX, vPilot, and ASNext running on the system (with all of the usual stuff.)  I did not have this problem before installing SP1.

On my last 7 hour flight  there were 3 of these 8 minute pauses over a 5 hour period when I switched back to AS2012 with no subsequent problems.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Ron Oines

No change my end.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I had the pausing issue (with sound still running) whilst flying PMDG models - also lasting a few minutes then picking up as if nothing had happened. I was using ASN...after changing my AffinityMask to 84  (was 85) in the fsx.cfg (4 core with hyperthreading) it has never happened again...maybe just coincidental....?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

No pauses with ASN SP1. Submit a ticket to support at http://support.hifitechinc.com/ or start a new topic at http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?7-Technical-Support. It would probably be better to just submit a ticket rather starting a new topic. But you could look thru the Forum and see if anything about pauses has been mentioned.

Does your FSX show "not responding" in the task manager during this? I did a flight from BOS to JFK the other night and it froze up on me mid air like that, but I had minimized the screen to go look at something, when I came back it was froze.

I exited out and loaded my auto-save thought I don't think it would have recovered after 8 minutes on it's own.

I also have long pauses with ASN  SP 1.  Did not have this problem with prior ASN install. Makes aircraft almost unable to control.

Regards

Lamar Wright

No changes on my end i think SP 1 works realy good.

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

ASN SP1 definitely not a problem here; however, FSX appHang which last 5-10 min. have happened to me a couple of times over the past year with the same symptoms as you. We have not yet tracked it down but I suspect it is a Windows API problem among other possibilities. During the appHang event, I notice that only core 3 (numbered 0 to 3) is active where normally I run FSX on cores 1-3 (Affinity Mask 14) (I have a quad Core2 Q9650 running Vista64). I use Process Explorer to monitor things, and notice that cores 1-2 start to wake up about 15 sec before the appHang event is over. I have had appHang running no Affinity Mask and Affinity Mask 15, no difference. I really doubt that this is an application problem. AppHangs usually occur when a thread suspends waiting input from external reference so without extensive debugging tools I doubt I ever find the problem.  Seems to happen if I am opening and closing other applications while running FSX. Doesn't happen often enough to drive me crazy, just an occasional irritation.

Dan Downs KCRP

Seems to happen if I am opening and closing other applications while running FSX.

I run in full screen with only FSX and ASN running and nothing else. I close PFPX before I even load FSX. TOPCAT is on second computer which I use for IE, Excel, Word, Windows Mail, etc. during a flight. The computers are not networked.

Installed ASN SP1 and flew a 300ER flight from LHR-MIA with no issues.

For the record (for people to compare):

• ASN SP1 is running locally (on my sim machine)
  • 300ER is version SP1c (which you all don't have yet, but I can't think of a reason this would interact with ASN to cause hangs)
  • I sat there the whole time so I would've seen it (I was taking fuel numbers to double check as part of checking the beta values)

I can't remember if I had updated to SP1 for the MIA-LHR leg, but I can say that, for at least 8 hour, and potentially about 15, I had solid performance.

In any case, issues with ASN should be reported to HiFi so that they may be fixed.  This isn't the best place for that.

Kyle Rodgers

Been running the SP1 betas for months without this issue myself.

Try setting your FSX.cfg file CPU affinity mask setting to 14 as below - this has solved the 8 minute pause thing for others at support:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thank you all for your responses.  You helped me a lot by acknowledging the fact that it is not my problem alone.  With all of these interactions between different pieces of software one never knows where to concentrate their efforts. I enjoy using software that runs without problems, but lo the real world today mandates we all find new bugs and report them.  This bug is the worst kind of all because it cannot be reproduced with any certainty.  

I will try the affinity masks and report back here if I find one that works.  Since each test takes up to an hour to run, progress is very slow.

Ron Oines

Hi...disabling the 1st core (Affinity = 84 for 4 cores with hyperthreading on) or 14 (4 cores hyperthreading off) definitely worked for me. I used to get at least one pause (with sound still running) during a two hour flight.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

If you are a member of a virtual that requires you to use VAFS for tracking flights, be suspicious of that. For me, VAFS caused pauses every several minutes that would last from 20sec to several minutes. As soon as I stopped using VAFS my pausing issue stopped. I was running ASN the whole time. I've never been able to associate ASN with any issues.

Dave

Dave Paige

The pauses for me is when I bank the aircraft left or right? Tried even reduced settings with no help. Went back to basic ASN and no problems at all? I reported this on the HIFI forum but still no answers. Other people are having the same issue and some are not as stated on this thread.

Regards

Lamar Wright