Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Looking for another plane

I've expanded hardware to include Saitek annunciator panel (BIP)and VRInsight Toggle and Tact.  Using LINDA, I've got the Twin Otter Extended all set up.  One of my favorite planes.  Startup and engine management requires a little more than default planes and many if not most payware so the hardware comes in handy and makes the experience all the more fun and interesting. 

I'm looking for another plane I can set up that is similar to the Twin Otter or maybe a little bit more involved.  I'm not interested in extremely complex aircraft.  Also, I like piston or turbo, not so interested in jets.

I've looked at the Aerosoft Catalina but can't get very interested.

Do you have suggestions?

Thanks.

Randall

I'm looking for another plane I can set up that is similar to the Twin Otter or maybe a little bit more involved. I'm not interested in extremely complex aircraft.

The Majestic Q400 is an excellent stable mate to the Twin Otter.  However, it is definitely a bit more involved - I wouldn't call it overly complex, but it's 'very' hands on.  I do find the Twin Otter to be a nice 'fire up and go' plane, where as you won't likely be doing that in the Q400.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Flight1 King Air

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Appreciate the suggestions.   Found a couple of threads debating between the JS41 and the Dash.  I do want something a little more involved to fly than the Twin Otter.  I'll check out the King Air.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Randall

For a piston pounder twin, perhaps the Flysimware Cessna 402C?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Randall

I have all the aircraft mentioned above and, like you, being someone who often just wants to 'fire up and go', the Twin Otter Extended is one of my favourites. The Q400, however, is another very firm favourite of mine and it is also actually pretty easy to 'jump into and fly', taking just a couple of minutes to start the engines once you have learned the sequence. It can be hand flown if you wish but if you want to immerse yourself more deeply in it's very accurate systems, that option is available to you too. Furthermore then internal and external modelling is excellent, the flight dynamics are accurate and the sound is nothing short of awesome!

With regard to the other aircraft, the PMDG J41, although a very good addon, seems to spend a lot more time sitting in my hanger for some reason, than either the Twin Otter or Q400, but that might be just my personal feeling towards this aircraft which I can't really get interested in. I would however also strongly recommend the beautifully modelled Flight 1 King Air, as an excellent aircraft which can be as easy or as complex as you want and, although smaller than any of the fore mentioned, I would also consider the Real Air Beech Duke which is available in piston and turboprop variants both of which are excellent.

My main advice to you, however, is to think seriously before you rule out the Majestic Q400 - it is IMO one of the best turboprop simulations available, if not THE best, and although it is a step up from the Twin Otter, that step can be as small or as large as you like. I for one love it!

Bill

Aerosoft OV-10

A2A B-17 w accusim

A2A Civil P-51 w accusim

All accusim planes have realistic engine management, you have to take into consideration ambient temp, oil grade, monitor all temp and pressure gauges, do preflight, warm the engines, perform runup checks...etc.   They don't just 'start' the same way every single time, you have to know what you are doing. 

A few worth waiting for, 

RealAir Turbine Duke v2

Milviz Mu-2

I really appreciate the suggestions everyone.  One thing I realized that still disappoints me after all these years with FSX is the lack of rain effects on the windshield.  I understand the Duke and JS41 have those effects.  Any of the other suggested planes have rain effects?

Randall

I would also consider the Real Air Beech Duke which is available in piston and turboprop variants both of which are excellent.

I certainly agree with this suggestion - however note TJ's posting above.  The V2 B60 (piston) Duke is out and a real treat, but the V2 Turbine Duke is still in the "real soon now" category.  Not that there's much wrong with the V1 version, but based on the upgrade from V1 to V2 on the B60, the V2 Turbine Duke is definitely worth waiting for just a bit.

Scott

I certainly agree with this suggestion - however note TJ's posting above.  The V2 B60 (piston) Duke is out and a real treat, but the V2 Turbine Duke is still in the "real soon now" category.  Not that there's much wrong with the V1 version, but based on the upgrade from V1 to V2 on the B60, the V2 Turbine Duke is definitely worth waiting for just a bit.

Scott

Thanks for that.  Didn't realize a V2 of the turbine was on the way.

I really appreciate the suggestions everyone. One thing I realized that still disappoints me after all these years with FSX is the lack of rain effects on the windshield. I understand the Duke and JS41 have those effects. Any of the other suggested planes have rain effects?

Randall

Check out this thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453694-got-precipitfx-snow-effects-working-in-p3dv2-amazing/

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks for that. Didn't realize a V2 of the turbine was on the way.

Yep.  And the good news is, the wait should be relatively short.  In an update on Sept. 3rd, they mentioned they hoped to be able to release "within the next few weeks" though the weren't ready to commit to a firm date quite yet.

Scott