Sign in to follow this  
misterit

FSX Multiplayer / PMDG Planes

Hi guys,

I like to fly with a friend together who own PMDG Airplanes as well.

With the FSX Airplanes the Multiplayer Function is working fine. But of course these airplanes are crap. That's why we have you :)

Multiplayer is working with your airplanes as well but the controls are not shareable.

We have tested only the PMDG 737 NGX so far and there it is not working to share the controls.

There is one guy you made so far a good job http://www.desk-pilot.com/

But not all functions couldn't be synced.

1. What I would like to know if it would be easier for you (as you did develop the airplanes so you know exactly how the codes are) to develop that the airplane functions can be shared ?

2. Is this behaviour only since 737 NGX because they were made more complex ?

3. Would it mean that J41, MD11 and 747 should work without issues or would they have the same behaviour ?

Cheers

Marco

Marco,

The PMDG line is not Multicrew (a.k.a. Shared Cockpit) capable.

If you are looking for an airliner that is shared cockpit capable, then the only real choice is the Leonardo Maddog (MD-80).  There is one other, however it does not have a Virtual Cockpit and it usually has sync issues).

The Majestic Dash 8/Q400 Professional (under development) is shared cockpit capable.

There are also some GA aircraft and two fighter aircraft which are shared cockpit capable, but again if you're looking for an airliner, the only real choice is the Leonardo Maddog.

Hope this helps.

I'd like to add...

Shared cockpit, especially on VATSIM during an event, will knock your socks off.

Our members have been flying shared cockpit weekly on VATSIM for about 8 years now and every flight is not only as realistic as one can get, it's incredible fun (I mean, REALLY INCREDIBLE) to share aircraft and experience everything in real time with someone else.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

hello guys ,

this was a very important topic for me and i'm really interested in it 

however i would like to ask , if this would be possible in the future to share a cockpit ?

cuz as u said now , it is incredible and fun , so we would love to have such an experience in NGX

and if it would be possible so how much time it will take to see something like this? 

also , if this would be possible , does it have to be only through VATSIM or we can just create a multi player and we are set to go?

thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

Muhammad

Muhammad,

As the NGX is made by PMDG, and PMDG aircraft are not shared cockpit capable, then the answer  is, unfortunately, no when it comes to shared cockpit in the NGX.

There is A LOT that goes into producing a shared cockpit capable aircraft, and PMDG would have to re-write a lot of code to accomplish this - a LOT of work, okay?  It's been discussed for many years, and it's not likely that they would be willing to do that. You can read more about this in the many posts here on AVSIM, just search for PMDG and Shared Cockpit.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

thank you for the answer .

but now the question would be ..., in which aircraft i could use the shared cockpit in full capabilities ?

thanks again , i appreciate it man! 

Muhammad,

I suppose I'd better point out (before someone else does) that PMDG runs this forum and requires all posters to include there name in the signature. It's not my rule, it's that of our host.

The answer to your question is located in my post a few up from this one.

Best of luck to you.

Dave Hodges

Hi Dave,

thanks for the information. I use Majestic Software Dash 8 Q400 as well.
But I have purchased the Pilot Version. Damn... He who can read, is clearly in advantage.

I have to check maybe I can change this to the Professional Version.

What do you think about http://desk-pilot.com/ ?

Marco,

Let's remember that this post is in the PMDG managed forum, so speaking more about the Majestic Dash 8/Q400 is a little out of bounds. I'll just say that the Professional version is still under development and while there is no date or timeline for release of the Professional version, I feel comfortable saying it will not be this year. For additional information, I kindly refer you to the Majestic forum here on AVSIM or the Majestic website and Facebook page.

It occurred to me that there is an airliner that works GREAT in shared cockpit that most everyone has, it's the default Microsoft 737.  For those who just want to be in the same aircraft and get it in the air, then that's how I would proceed.

Regarding Desk-Pilot, I applaud the author's work and devotion!  I've tried it, and after flying shared cockpit on other high end aircraft that had the feature designed in from the ground level, well, there is no comparison. Shared cockpit in both the Dash 8 and Leonardo Maddog (extremely high end aircraft, though because it's older the graphics are not nearly what you'd find in the NGX) is basically done via a fully sync'd virtual cockpit - so there are no special key combinations to press to do things. It's just like single cockpit, only with two people. 

The statement above fails to convey how incredible the experience is, especially when flying realistically using CRM, procedures, and under realism based human ATC (VATSIM) and where every other aircraft you see is human controlled (and you can hear and talk to them all).

For our part, we've worked hard over the past eight years of flying shared cockpit to ensure that pilot and copilot see the same scenery, same aircraft type and liveries, the same weather (even individual clouds), and the same AI shipping traffic doing the same thing at the same time for both pilots. Plus of course we hear everything going on via ATC. The immersion is incredible. As stated in previous posts, we fly the Leonardo Maddog MD-80 (our Beta Team also flies the Dash 8/Q400 Professional - not released yet). For the record, not all OVPA pilots are part of our Beta Team, and it's just as difficult to get into as any other Beta program (in fact, two of our Beta Team guys each have well over 3000 hours in shared cockpit alone).

I will tell you this. Once you've flown shared cockpit during a VATSIM event, everything else you do in flight simulation will pale in comparison - Everything.  That's just not me speaking, that's many other seasoned flight sim pilots who feel the same way.

Now please understand this. To get the most out of the shared cockpit experience your system has to be setup and groomed to ensure it's really working properly. If either of the systems struggles to run FSX then the shared flight will likely have a lot of issues. Then you have to learn Crew Resource Management, how to fly an aircraft as a team. IF you fly on VATSIM (and you should) then you'll need to setup flight deck comms in addition to both being able to hear and talk to ATC without effecting your flight deck comms. In other words, it's not just jumping into the same flight deck and saying Go, there is some ground work you'll need to do.

The good news is the learning experience is SO WORTH IT, especially if you're someone who likes to learn!

But for you everyday, jump in and just get the aircraft off the ground type pilot it would become more work than it's worth so I'd recommend using the default 737.

I sincerely hope I've been of help, and I wish you and your friend an excellent shared cockpit experience!

Dave Hodges

I never really understood why developers, especially PMDG, opt for not making their aircraft multi-crew capable. Surely, the answer to why that is so isn't as trivial as I'd like it to be but seeing as the kind of aircraft PMDG makes, it makes me wonder why this feature wasn't designed from the get go. Have PMDG ever disclosed their reason for doing so as I'd really like to read more into it and understand why multi-crew capability is lacking in almost all aircraft available today bar MD80 and the upcoming Q400 pro?

I never really understood why developers, especially PMDG, opt for not making their aircraft multi-crew capable. Surely, the answer to why that is so isn't as trivial as I'd like it to be but seeing as the kind of aircraft PMDG makes, it makes me wonder why this feature wasn't designed from the get go. Have PMDG ever disclosed their reason for doing so as I'd really like to read more into it and understand why multi-crew capability is lacking in almost all aircraft available today bar MD80 and the upcoming Q400 pro?

It requires creating a custom networking system that can deal with firewalls, router NAT etc. This is just about the furthest thing from trivial that there is - companies like Skype spend millions of dollars on this type of technology. This is not easy stuff to do. We can't just use FSX's shared cockpit thing - it only works with SDK compliant gauges - most of our systems are complete custom, FSX doesn't even know they're there and it has no provisions for becoming aware of them.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan, I knew it wasn't as easy as flicking a switch and making it multi-crew capable. Appreciate the explanation.

Cheers and happy holidays!

It's actually been stated a couple of years back, that PMDG would like to have MCC, but they don't have skills or resources to create the network code.

It requires creating a custom networking system that can deal with firewalls, router NAT etc. This is just about the furthest thing from trivial that there is - companies like Skype spend millions of dollars on this type of technology. This is not easy stuff to do. We can't just use FSX's shared cockpit thing - it only works with SDK compliant gauges - most of our systems are complete custom, FSX doesn't even know they're there and it has no provisions for becoming aware of them.

Sure, it's a hard task but if there ever will be a shared-cockpit feature for the NGX and upwards then this will definitely be a game-changer. It would be so much fun to fly with RW pilots on type and learn new things. Yes, FS2Crew does a great job in simulating a co-pilot but it's esentially a robot, that works by a script.