Sign in to follow this  
kishshey

Best Payware Cessna

What is the best payware cessna available for FSX?

I have the A2A 172 trainer. Are there better ones?

I don't have the A2A 172 but I must say for my money the best GA single engine out there is the A2A 182 flown in Prepar3D.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I wont say it's better, but it is a very nice step up, with the same detailing, the A2A C182. The C172 is a very nice trainer, but the C182 is a real workhorse. It has quite a bit more power and is an awesome bush flier.

When I first saw it, my idea was 'just another Cessna', but I still bought it and so far, I've only been flying this aircraft, since.

Cheers!

Maarten

A2A 182 and Flight1 182 are the best I've ever used on my FSX sim.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Best payware Cessna at this time is definitely the A2A C182 I'd say.

After that, I'd probably play a curve ball, and say the Alabeo 207;  a lot of fun and very immersive (once you tweak out the overpowered engine!).

Well, the aircraft above are pretty amazing. Here's an alternative that isn't quite there in the same way on the graphical front, but for me is really satisfying: I have recently been flying Flysimware C441 Turbine and I love the flight handling, seems very realistic and "not on rails" to me. There's an extensive thread over in the FSX forum (I posted there but am flying it in P3D). I think this one has some promise if the dev can boost his game a little on the VC end of things. 

It made me realize that although graphics are very important to me, the flight modelling is really what makes it feel enjoyable to fly (or not). Hence Carenado a/c that look great but might have a short "shelf life" because they fly like a cardboard box.

Just my 2c! But have to agree with above posters that A2A has a great reputation.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Thanks for your posts everyone, I will look into the 182 and the C441 =D

Looking for a good bushflier to add to my Christmas list

The Cessna 310 is one of my favorite twins. Just awesome!

As for a bush plane, the Twin Otter Extended get my vote.

I'll go with Jose when it comes to the twin Cessnas. The C310 from Milviz is very good. Edited. And I would also add the Carenado C337 for its unique character and nice FDE.

When leaving aside the obvious (and great) A2A choices for the 172 and 182, I would add that the G1000 T182 from Flight1 offers a nice package in regard to modern avionics and the turbo-charged engine combo, enabling quite some amazing missions with that small plane.

Edited. Don't forget about the Sibwings Bird Dog btw.  Now that's a decent presentation and a versatile plane.

Could anyone tell me if the A2A 182 is better quality-wise than the 172? Has A2A implemented new techniques/technology into the newer 182, or are the two virtually the same in that regard?

Yep, another vote for the Milviz C310 alongside the C172 and C182 from A2A.

Alabeo and Carenado's Cessnas look pretty, but have no "feel". I have the C185, C207, C208 and C340. They still have ways to go before the can make the aircraft come alive in the air like A2A, Milviz and RealAir.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Could anyone tell me if the A2A 182 is better quality-wise than the 172? Has A2A implemented new techniques/technology into the newer 182, or are the two virtually the same in that regard?

There are a few new technology additions to the 182, including full support for the Mindstar, RXP and new F1 GPS units if you have them.  But the biggest difference is that IRL, the 172 and 182 are very different aircraft to fly, and A2A have done a wonderful job of making you feel those differences.  The 182 is a substantially bigger and heavier plane and they've somehow managed to convey that feeling.  And as expected, the interactions between the 182's constant speed prop and manifold pressure are well modeled, so you've got that difference to play with as well.

I confess that despite recognizing the 172 as a very well-done simulation of a 172, I just never flew it much as fixed prop, fixed gear planes just aren't my sweet spot.  The 182, on the other hand, I've been flying the heck out of.

Alabeo and Carenado's Cessnas look pretty, but have no "feel".

I would argue that both Carenado's 210 and especially the 337 very much have their own unique feel.  The 210 needs a few simple mods to flesh it out and make it right, but the 337 is a gem without much fiddling, right down to the added drag from the gear doors during gear retraction.  The 337 has great visibility, a well laid out cockpit and RXP support - a combination which makes for a very nice IFR trainer as well as an excellent sight-seeing plane.

Still, my vote would currently be for the A2A 182 if you want the best.  Great sound, and the flight and engine modeling is second to none.  Accu-sim is more than just a marketing name.  Just remember if you go this route that it really is about as close to real as you can get, and the fact that certain "FSX sim-isms" have been removed sometimes throws people off if they've not flown an A2A plane before.

Scott

Can't believe I forgot to suggest the MilViz C310R, after my "best aircraft in last 5 years" thread!!   :o   :lol:

I would argue that both Carenado's 210 and especially the 337 very much have their own unique feel.  The 210 needs a few simple mods to flesh it out and make it right, but the 337 is a gem without much fiddling, right down to the added drag from the gear doors during gear retraction.  The 337 has great visibility, a well laid out cockpit and RXP support - a combination which makes for a very nice IFR trainer as well as an excellent sight-seeing plane.

Scott

Seem like I've bought the wrong Cessnas from Carenado then :) Typical!

As for mods, I don't do them. When I've paid 30-40 bucks for an aircraft I expect them to be flawless, or at least patched until they are.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

These are all Cessnas:

Sibwings Birddog.

A2A 182

Flight1 182

Milviz 310

Carenado 337

F1 Mustang

They are all unique and priceless.