Sign in to follow this  

Solution to P3D v2.4 and v2.3 vertical cloud issue

Just did it- unfortunately with the same result.....

Ok, just tested with ASN at CYUL (Montreal since google earth shows bad weather there) ... clouds/fog were there, no issues at all... Looks very good and performance was great.  Here is the video proof of it working (just uploaded so not converted to HD yet, give it a few minutes):

I am using P3D default cloud textures.

So what happens if you copy the v2.4 files back and delete your shaders folder again (i.e. back to original)?

What happens if you use any of the P3D built in weather themes?

Cheers, Rob.

Guest tymk

Are you guys trying this with the original 2.2 cloud.fx restored from backup, or are you using the file contents pasted in the post at the LM forum? Unfortunately, if you copy and paste from the post, some things break, so you need to correct the file. Specifically, look for "curly" quotes (replace with straight ones) and non-standard minus signs (find the one just before "KEEP SHADER IN SYNC!", copy it to the clipboard and then globally replace in a text editor with a standard short minus sign).

Tym

EDIT: And BTW, I found the Cloud2.fx to be identical between 2.2 and 2.4...

Rob, I think I understand the problem: I have copied the files from a user of forum of  LM, probably were buggy.

We need your  :rolleyes:

EDIT: And BTW, I found the Cloud2.fx to be identical between 2.2 and 2.4...

I didn't, they are VERY different, both of them.

I'm running Pro Plus but I doubt these files are different in any version of P3D v2.4 (comparing with same release version that is Academic, Pro, etc.)

Cheers, Rob.

Guest tymk

I didn't, they are VERY different, both of them.

That's strange... I'm going by the one from the forum post, it's identical with the one I have apart from the encoding stuff... Of course I'm talking about cloud2.fx, not cloud.fx (that one's indeed very different). But this makes me wonder... My cloud2.fx is dated March 19, 2013, and it's 8,417 bytes in size. Seems rather old...

Tym

I have BASE installs for V2.0, V2.2, V2.3, and V2.4  (no sure why I don't have V2.1, but not relevant) ... during testing I wipe and re-install base, start P3D, then exit, then backup all related directories.

The dates for my v2.2 

Cloud.fx - 4/1/2014

Cloud2.fx - 3/8/2013

No word from LM, but I can understand their caution in allowing me to provide two files.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the heads up Rob.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the old files (or installer) either - hope you get permission to post the files (or contents) from LM, as this really is the only real immersion killer for me, now that PrecipitFX has fixed the rain / snow effects... 

Ok, I may have something for you folks ... testing it out now.

Cheers, Rob.

Guest tymk

Ok, I may have something for you folks ... testing it out now.

I was hoping for a more permanent fix from LM, could it be that?

Tym

@Rob,

I think I mentioned this to you before. In P3d 2.3, LM changed the rotational matrix algorithm, probably to address the other cloud problem (rotation or "spinning"). I asked in the official LM forums as to where they co-opted the cloud.fx rotational matrix code from, but I got no response from LM.

Here ya go, new file direct from LM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyaXRudXdZQ1BSbGc/view?usp=sharing

This IS NOT a v2.2 file, it is a modified v2.4 Cloud.fx ONLY file.  If you've copied your v2.2 Cloud2.fx into v2.4, replace it with the original v2.4 Cloud2.fx.

I tested with default clouds/weather and with ASN ... I didn't see any vertical clouds in my 30 minutes of testing.

So the new process:

1.  Backup the Cloud.fx file in ..\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ShadersHLSL

2.  Copy the file downloaded from my link to ..\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ShadersHLSL

3.  Delete your shaders folder i.e. C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

4.  Fly

Cheers, Rob.