Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

PMDG products and Steam

While the initial FSX release will allow for continued freeware and third party work- one need only look to the utter collapse of what was once a robust developer community surrounding trainsim to see the future.

To be fair the Railworks developer community is up and running even with DTG in charge of the current platform, for instance there's Armstrong Powerhouse, Just Trains, Digital Traction, Creative Rail, to name but a few who are far more respected than anything DTG has to offer to date.

PMDG i'm pretty sure will be a major developer in the new dedicated FSX=SE community if you guys allow but i know it's very early days and quite a change for us all.

Si.

X-Plane is the future! Yay. I'm excited.

That can be said about pretty much all flight simulation products including FSX and P3D. None of them provide reliable platform to run simulation of sophisticated commercial jet with high quality airports, AI traffic, ATC, AIRAC cycles and so on. Serious bugs are not fixed for years. I gave Steam Edition a try because of the price $4.99 Unfortunately issue with joystick disconnect is still reproducible on Windows 8. I believe really good simulator is waiting us in the future. Just don't know if I be able to wait so long.

All,

If you haven't read this, please read this. Familiarize yourself with it. Understand it.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

I just removed the entire 5th page because every post was unsigned. If you find yourself to be a forgetful person (or a lazy one, like me), you can configure a signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, and then selecting My Settings. Add a signature, make it pretty (no system specs in them - that's an AVSIM rule, by the way), and save it.

Kyle Rodgers

My posts took ages to compile, they were heartfelt for PMDG and constuctive, iv'e never been censored before now,.

Simon Palmer.

Just check my Topics.

Si.

You weren't being "censored" for content - it is a forum rule here that you sign your posts with your real name. If you don't do it, the posts get deleted, simple as that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Robert,

Ummm, Unless this 'steam' version has sufficient attributes, why bother with the drama. I see 'steam' as I do X-Plane and P3D, just another flight sim engine platform you need to consider if there is a market for them. Sure, the steam version maybe pretty "close" to the FSX we all love(and hate?)and "may" have some slight improvements, but at the end of the day, we want to fly our a/c on the best platform.

I only fly my PMDG 737NGX, MD11 and 747v1, Majestic Q400 and flightsimlabs A320 when it gets released. I suspect all of these aircraft will have issues with 'steam' for the foreseeable future ..It is hard enough now keeping them flying on a known and tested platform with the likes of excellent PMDG support, without throwing in a totally new platform. As we all know too well, a developer getting close to working is a mile away from FSX working, especially with add on products

Reading between the lines from Robert's comments, me thinks 'steam' think they are like the big supermarket chains who bully oops.. convince their suppliers, their terms and conditions or the highway. I can't see PMDG providing their (to be modified at PMDG expense products) to a third party supplier on consignment stock with minimal return working too well. yeah, I can see 'steam' now saying.."Robert, just think we will lift your sales by gazillion %, you can cut us in for 40%, we both win....

Anyway, Keep working on the FSX 747v2....I will watch and wait.

Geoff Bryce

Reading between the lines from Robert's comments, me thinks 'steam' think they are like the big supermarket chains who bully oops.. convince their suppliers, their terms and conditions or the highway. I can't see PMDG providing their (to be modified at PMDG expense products) to a third party supplier on consignment stock with minimal return working too well. yeah, I can see 'steam' now saying.."Robert, just think we will lift your sales by gazillion %, you can cut us in for 40%, we both win....

Nothing to do with Steam, it's just a distribution platform.  He is talking about negotiations with Dovetail, they secured the license from MS.

...and "Bimmercorp", i don't believe for one minute that anybody on this site believes that Dovetail are better custodians of the FSX license than companies like PMDG or Aerosoft.  Of course they all want to make money, but it's how they make money.  PMDG make money from releasing quality add ons people are willing to pay high prices for; Dovetail, at least as far as Trainsim is concerned, release Abacus quality shovelware.

Ian R Tyldesley

You weren't being "censored" for content - it is a forum rule here that you sign your posts with your real name. If you don't do it, the posts get deleted, simple as that.

Not quite Simple As, I got confused, i was and have signed my posts "Si" and some of my posts are still here, my full name is Simon Palmer but i would like to sign as Si if possible. Also are links ok such as Just Trains  as that may have also caused an issue i'm not sure.

Please advise me if possible as i don't want to be seen as disruptive.

Edit: actually i've just read the rules and it doesn't mention links so i'm pleased i can post those oh and i've sussed out the signature now.  :yahoo: :smile:

I am so surprised that pilots are installing Dovetail's software without waiting first for PMDG to announce tested support for it.

I shall certainly not go near it until at least PMDG give me the assurance that all will be well. Otherwise I would put my B777 flying intentions very much at risk. I have enough trouble already keeping my rig in working order.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I will stick to my DVD version of FSX until MS shut down their activation servers. DTG are doing the community a disservice.

am so surprised that pilots are installing Dovetail's software without waiting first for PMDG to announce tested support for it.

Most are getting it now because of the low introductory price, many aren't even installing it unless  they lose their DVD's or until the addons catch up. If you wait to purchase the regular price is $24.99.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

why would any add on company turn down new customers even if DTG take a small slice of the profits it just does`nt make sense

I have to challenge your assertion that PMDG balked at DT's taking a "small" slice of the profits. None of us has any idea what terms DT offered, but I believe Robert when he says that the offer was not in the best interest of PMDG or the community.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

I can't see PMDG providing their (to be modified at PMDG expense products) to a third party supplier on consignment stock with minimal return working too well. yeah, I can see 'steam' now saying.."Robert, just think we will lift your sales by gazillion %, you can cut us in for 40%, we both win....

They will eventually given the rite-ish deal,  Love it or hate it,  Steam is bigger then Sliced Bread.

I am so surprised that pilots are installing Dovetail's software without waiting first for PMDG to announce tested support for it.

5 Dollars is tiny amounts of Dollars.

I shall certainly not go near it until at least PMDG give me the assurance that all will be well.

Dovetail said they would be rolling out Ad On's in early 2015,  i don't think PMDG will be the first ones,  that in mind you could waiting some time.   

5 Dollars is tiny Dollars

but I believe Robert when he says that the offer was not in the best interest of PMDG or the community.

He can speak on behalf of PMDG but he can't speak of the "community" - whatever that may be.

Honestly, I just don't understand the drama, given that Dovetail Games has left FSX:SE open to any third-party developer, including freeware. They even include the FSX SDK in the installation*...

One does not have to go through the agony of using their DLC Store (which in any case is currently an empty warehouse)...

*Nota bene: they did goof up and leave out some necessary parts of the SDK, but that will be corrected in due time. :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator