Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Mine will be a dual install...I currently have and use the DVD version.

1. Will the FSX steam desktop icon differ from the old retail version, or will it have to be launched from the root folder if I have FSX x 2?

Yes, it has a different EXE name ("Steam Edition") and co-exists just fine on your desktop, alongside FSX-Boxed.

I'm doing all my tests with FSX-SE, with the boxed FSX still installed too.   No issues yet.

3. Will the FTX Global lights work okay if using FSX Steam in DX9 mode?

Cheers, Mike.

I can answer #3.

A. You can try this freeware shader fix here at AVSIM: http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2Fdownload.php%3FDLID%3D185080

B. Or purchase Steve's DX10 fixer tool (highly recommended)

Either way, you'll need to run DX10 to fix our 3D lights, unless someone has a DX9 fix we don't know about.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

So did DTG (FSX: SE) fix the following issues when you have the DX10 preview mode checked:

Bridges not appearing at Night

Runways that Flicker - This is a biggie!!!

Progressive Taxi 

Has anyone tested this?

Well... TacPack doesn't work in FSX Steam and VRS is not sure when they can fix it. I should have bought coffee and donuts with my $5.

Pete Dowson:

Unfortunately my development PC finally died this afternoon. There's been an intermittent mobo fault on it for a while and Ihave a replacement PC on the way, but it isn't due till next Tuesday, and by then I will be tied up with family for Christmas.

Then I'm away till 4th Jan. I'll get on to FSXSE as soon as I can after that, but it'll take me a day or two to get the new PC into shape -- and re-download FSXSE.

So, sorry , it could be around 9th Jan by the time I have something.

FSX users who are dipping their toes into the FSX:SE world are getting a small flavor of what P3D converts have been dealing with for some time now. Even seemingly small changes to the core simulation can have wide ranging effects on addon content.

With FSUIPC out of commission for a couple of weeks, PMDG pulling their usual "no promises" press release out, and various and sundry other addons currently failing, moving from your working FSX platform to the new FSX:SE seems like a questionable venture at this time.

do you know if Lockheed Martin have updated Prepar3D to VS2013 as well if it's supposed to bring better performance?

I know LM are using at least VS 2012, not sure about VS 2013.  For my own work I'm using VS 2012 ... I usually give Microsoft a few iterations (read patches) on their development platforms before migrating to them.  But be aware Dovetail are using 2005 libraries for compatibility (key detail) ... I going to guess they use VS 2013 because it's a better development tool (IDE).

Cheers, Rob.

I can answer #3.

A. You can try this freeware shader fix here at AVSIM: http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2Fdownload.php%3FDLID%3D185080

Either way, you'll need to run DX10 to fix our 3D lights, unless someone has a DX9 fix we don't know about.

Hi John, what did change in FSX:SE that prevents ORBX 3D lights from working in DX9 mode? I'm confused.

thanks!

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

I can answer #3.

I don´t understand. I allways used FTX Global with FSX (The old one) in DX9 and the lights worked ok!

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Why is everyone so excited about this...I don't get it.  You all have FSX already.  What is the material difference apart from multiplayer?    I can't see any.

It seems to me that 80% off an 8 year old piece of software is about the correct pricing point anyway, so I have no idea why everyone thinks it's such a bargain.