Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Thanks Jim, look forward to what you find out since I had FSX installed prior to FSX-SE, which is on a separate HD.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm late, i know...

But is it still worth pursaching? 
I mean what's the practical point if i already got FSX loose apart from steam multiplayer? I rarely play multiplayer and when i do, BeyondGamespy works fine.

I'm late, i know...

But is it still worth pursaching? 

I mean what's the practical point if i already got FSX loose apart from steam multiplayer? I rarely play multiplayer and when i do, BeyondGamespy works fine.

Yes, you are far too late for the $5 sale...

...but, it will likely go on sale again, someday.

If you look at the change log and still cannot see the huge improvements that have been made, then nothing any of us could say will affect you're decision making either.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr. Bill, what are the "Huge" improvements?  I see the change log, and am aware that there is some new optimization, but I'm not seeing the "Huge" part of it, especially if someone doesn't use multiplayer.   If FSX-SE becomes, at some future point, a must-have, even for people with well tweaked disk versions, and then they have to pay $25 instead of $5, it seems like a pretty small thing when you consider how expensive this hobby can be with all the payware and expensive hardware.  Unless someone is into redoing an entire installation for the sake of unknown performance gains, it is equally valid to just skip it for now.  

I must have an extraordinarily complex or customized setup, because it takes me days, even weeks sometimes to get a new FSX installation to where I want it.  Whether it be applying every little update to multiple UTX regions and then tediously customizing parameters, to installing repaints, sound changes, reapplying custom cockpits, patches galore for everything, copying over .inis from one installation to another,  figuring out why the networked ASN that was working last time isn't working any more, why some installer won't run, etcetera it is a time consuming pain in the neck.  My point is that whether some alternate version of FSX costs $5 or $25, starting over anew, is a big deal.  And the LAST thing I would do is attempt a side-by-side installation of FSX with FSX-SE--sounds like a formula for disaster.

What are the "Huge" improvements?  I see the change log, but I'm not seeing the "Huge" part of it, especially if someone doesn't use multiplayer.   If FSX-SE becomes, at some future point, a must-have, even for people with well tweaked disk versions, and then they have to pay $25 instead of $5, it seems like a pretty small thing when you consider how expensive this hobby can be with all the payware and expensive hardware.

Seriously there are an overwhelming amount of posts declaring improvements in stability and Vas usage. That is the huge part ....The real improvements are a result of the way SE is coded which means You wont understand it anyway but if Pete Dowson who does understand it bought a copy then you should take note

ZORAN

Zoran, I did take note of Pete Dowson's observations, and am aware of reports of some performance improvements.  But "Huge" that it is worth redoing the whole thing?  I'm going to keep tuned in, obviously.  What I am saying is that rebuilding FSX from scratch is not something that I personally want to do, and I know there are others that share my feelings.  My above post is answer to some of the "no brainer", "why wouldn't a rational person jump on the Steam bandwagon" type of comments that are in abundance. 

And the LAST thing I would do is attempt a side-by-side installation of FSX with FSX-SE

Certainly not on a permanent basis. It would be a nightmare and unnecessary. I am only running side by side for short period, and I don't intend to run both.

My current HDD ( W7, not FSX ) is starting to get disk errors, which means a new drive is in the pipe line. And then I will permanently migrate to SE, and SE only.

I do agree, having to install fsx from scratch, for me would take weeks. I would not do it unless i really had to. And with a failing hdd, I will have to. Otherwise, SE would only be a back up.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Zoran, I did take note of Pete Dowson's observations, and am aware of reports of some performance improvements.  But "Huge" that it is worth redoing the whole thing?  I'm going to keep tuned in, obviously.  What I am saying is that rebuilding FSX from scratch is not something that I personally want to do, and I know there are others that share my feelings.  My above post is answer to some of the "no brainer", "why wouldn't a rational person jump on the Steam bandwagon" type of comments that are in abundance. 

Oh yeah Im with you on that one. My strategy though is a very very slow build on a separate drive, it could take months however if Steves DX10 fixer isnt supported I wont be moving anywhere

ZORAN

Steves DX10 fixer isnt supported

I believe it works fine on a stand alone SE, not side by side

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I believe it works fine on a stand alone SE, not side by side

Excellent should be an awesome combo

ZORAN

Nope, as this would leave FSX legacy and P3D users out of the distribution chain.

Also, I'm very much against eliminating the requirement to deal with (installation and other necessary) information contained in Readmes to get an add-on to run.

Developers can hopefully develop side by side? 

Readme's can be provided with the download. 

each addon can have it's own folder, in the folder will be the compiled addon as well as the read me, other than what i suggested earlier.

As I post already, DX10 fixer Works with FSX SE.

Hello:

Thanks for this info (although I could not find your prior post specifically regarding DX10 Scenery Fixer compatibility with FSX_SE). :Thinking:

For those whose decisions for (...or against) either a:

* "side-by-side" install of FSX_SE with FSX_MS

...or a:

* "replacement" install of FSX_MS by FSX_SE

...will be influenced by this issue, here's a recent post by DX10SF author Steve Parsons (aka "SteveFx") on whether future "official' support of FSX_SE may be feasible:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457989-dx10-fixer-on-fsx-steam-edition/

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

Developers can hopefully develop side by side? 

Readme's can be provided with the download. 

each addon can have it's own folder, in the folder will be the compiled addon as well as the read me, other than what i suggested earlier.

That's the way it's currently setup, so as long as it stays that way, I don't think there will be a problem, so long as most if not all addons remain compatible. If they do choose to go the steam only route as Robert Randazzo  (PMDG) is concerned they will at some point, then that will become a big problem for existing users, as well as P3D users. Let's hope that doesn't happen, as that is the worst scenario for all of us.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Fr. Bill, what are the "Huge" improvements?  I see the change log, and am aware that there is some new optimization, but I'm not seeing the "Huge" part of it,

But you don't own/have it, right?

So how can you opine on something that you haven't experienced.    The "huge" improvement may not be quantitative, evidenced by a sexy long change log, but may be qualitative, as evidenced by the updated VS compilers being more efficient and providing smoother performance.

Surely, skepticism is good if it's backed up by an empirical approach;  ie.. trying out and experiencing the thing that you're trying to build a case/opinion on?

Without trying it, your skepticism just has no logical base at all.

I'm in the process of reinstalling FSX onto one SSD with Win 7 and FSX-SE on a second SSD with another copy of Win 7 running . That way I get both sims running completely independant of each other.

If the SE is as good as I've read so far then the next big fix that would be cool, holding my breath, would be for the popup of autogen which I read was fixed in P3D. Get that fixed and I will be happy as everything else for my needs is fine.