Sign in to follow this  
Echofox

FSX and Steam Forums

As such Steam is not FSX, its a different Sim,  I have no intention of buying it as I'm quite contented with FSX and FS9 as no doubt are a lot of serious Simmers. If I go anywhere it will be to P3D which has it's own Forum, can Steam related questions be put on a dedicated Steam Forum thus keeping everything in it's own subject zone.

Echofox

That will not happen. The sims are exactly the same except for the minor Steam modifications.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, they are the same at the moment but many addons are not compatable so answering support questions is going to be difficult.

As time goes on the products are  going to diverge to an even greater degree, this is what a Dovetail developer said yesterday in Peter Dowsons Fsuipc forum.

"Unlike previously (largely static) versions of FSX, the FSX:SE version is going to be updated on a regular basis with improvements, bug-fixes and so on."

A sub forum will help here as without it every question will be answered with "What Sim are you refering to FSX or FSX-SE , if it's FSX-SE then what version number ect?".

Echofox,

I posed this question waaaaaaaaaaaaay back (A whole 4 days ago hehe), and the consensus was that it was not needed.

Here is my post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457975-fsx-steam-threadsbefore-it-gets-too-hard-to-search/

Fear not...your post will soon be buried pages back like mine now is, and someone else will start another post about it, and then you can refer to your post, and how you asked the same question waaaaaaaay back...then a few days later...well...you get the idea.  :lol:

While I agree FSX:MS and FSX:SE (as we unofficially named the two "Identical" sims) are pretty much the same (yep, both flight simulators, yep both from MS...originally), the wrapper and the apparent differences we're seeing as a community are for at least now, more than just a placebo effect.

If I were like you and not interested in FSX:SE at all, I too would get a little tired of sifting through all the posts about a sim you have no interest in.  

I'd say in a few more weeks if FSX:SE posts are still more than 50% of the posts on the 1st page of multiple forums, we as a community will revisit the idea of a forum for each version...until then, enjoy the irony of having this kind of problem (too many flight sims to think about). :wink:  

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

There is one essential difference that I have seen between FSX MS and FSX SE which is that in spite of spending what seemed an age supposedly downloading FSX SE after having d/loaded and installed Steam, while there is a Steam folder containing a ton of files on my machine there is nothing for FSX SE apart from a folder with the logbook in it and what will eventually have saved flights, etc. I can run FSX SE on my machine but it doesn't appear to reside there.

This causes me a problem. With the MS version I modify the camera cfg file so that in virtual cockpit I can snap views to look left, right, right forward etc using the numeral pad. With the SE version this appears not to be possible as I have no access to the cfg files. The same applies to the pilot head movement with acceleration and deceleration. I like to turn that off which I do in one of the cfg files, can't remember now which one. Again that is not possible with SE.

This is confirmed by looking at the properties of the desktop shortcut which, instead of giving a file location, gives a URL.

I'm glad I only spent GBP 10 on it as this might put me off using it. Unless someone knows a workaround?

Iain Smith

EDIT: Ignore this rubbish! I did some more digging and found the files. It does reside om my machine. Don't quite understand why shortcut icon properties didn't point to the file but hey! What do I know?

Iain

Far? How?

Well, lets start with Steam includes Acceleration which has different SP's from the Deluxe version..... then different companies with different activation and installs..... addons that work with MS version may or may not work with Steam and if they do some files may have to be manually modified....you might as well say P3D is the same as FSX if you try to include Steam version.... but they are 3 separate programs and should have their own forums.... as the last few days has shown beyond doubt.

Jay

The Prepar3D Forums here at AVSIM doesn't split v1.4 from v2; and they are different enough to have their own SDK's.

The downside I see to having two forums is that while there are differences between the two there is far more that they share in common.

I can see a day where I will have to follow two forums to keep up to date with the common stuff. I would rather keep it all in one.

If possible, some forum software allows posters to tag their post to a specific sim (see FSDeveloper). If something like that was initiated here I think it would help.

As time goes on, and the SE/MS split becomes wider (if it ever really does) having two forums might be justified. Today it doesn't.

I think that all of the new Steam-induced activity will slow down as the bugs get worked out.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

You now have two topic PREFIXES that you can choose from when you create a topic; FSX-MS and FSX-SE. Use those to differentiate topics if you feel the need to. When there is a substantive difference between MS and SE, we will look at the separation of forums again.

You now have two topic PREFIXES that you can choose from when you create a topic; FSX-MS and FSX-SE. Use those to differentiate topics if you feel the need to. When there is a substantive difference between MS and SE, we will look at the separation of forums again.

Great solution Tom!

Thanks for stepping in and giving us wayward simmers some executive direction.  :smile:

I hope that there will be a reason to split the forums one day....hoping that SE will become the real, continuously updated version of FSX we've all been looking for.

Not completely optimistic that will happen (I tend to be a realist and know how these things go in the real world), but what I've seen so far, just in new interest and the reports we've seen keeps me encouraged!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ah, To steam of not to steam that is the question.  Whether it is nobler to save your money and avoid more non compatible issues or just go flying in your fine tuned FSX, or maybe your P3Dv2.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3