Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

It's been Real- I'm out

I really want P3D to succeed on my pc, but turning back the eyecandy so it starts to look like a stripped FSX is not what I had in mind when jumping to P3D.

THIS!

+1 Thumbs up and all that. Totally agree. I switched to Prepar3D as well, but jumped back to FSX the minute I encountered an OOM. I'll await more comprehensive tests on FSX:SE before I jump that boat. Some claim 100% increase in performance while other are getting blanks. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I really want P3D to succeed on my pc, but turning back the eyecandy so it starts to look like a stripped FSX is not what I had in mind when jumping to P3D.

Interesting, that is a comment completely foreign to my experience.   What exactly do you turn back, and what sort of specs on your PC?  I run autogen/vegetation at one click left of full right, shadow quality at high, all terrain & tessellation hard right, but do avoid cloud shadows unless cloud density isn't extreme then it's fine. I use FTX Global & regional sceneries, GSX, TextureDirect, etc.  FSX looks totally flat & dead by comparison to me and having used P3D V2.2 now for a year or more I can't imagine going back.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

the level of PMDG big birds which we can rate at the top of the heap, and despite probably very similar scenery & texture add ons we should be experiencing similar performance & VAS usage.

I am seriously questioning if PMDG will be able to release the 777 in P3Dv2 without come "magic" in the form of prescriptive instructions to avoid OOM!  Most sliders in the P3D menu is about performance, the only two that I think I know are the autogen ones.  Which others can reduce VAS, I have no ideas.

I would agree with the OP, P3Dv2 is probably not ready for supporting complex aircraft and other complex add-ons all piled on in by us greedy simmers addicted to eye candies.  But hey, FSimming without eye candies is pretty boring, as real pilots attest to the thrill of their simulator sessions!

Alas, there is no one sim to rule them all; however, have too many sims and the corresponding times to maintain them all will deter even the most ardent simmer, who will eventually ask:  what the !@#? after 1 hour of prep works, I still have not get off the ground yet,  and then after a while flying, you sincerely hope the dreaded ping message of OOM will not show up to haunt you. If it does, you have just wasted 2-3 hrs for nothing!

Give up brother, before this hobby will drive you insane! Now which sim should I start?  

Happy holidays and happy frustrations, but damned it, when the flight completed, hmm, let fly again ;)

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I would agree with the OP, P3Dv2 is probably not ready for supporting complex aircraft and other complex add-ons all piled on in by us greedy simmers addicted to eye candies.  But hey, FSimming without eye candies is pretty boring, as real pilots attest to the thrill of their simulator sessions!

The atmospherics, pop-free autogen, incredible sunrise & sunsets, cockpit shadows, cloud & object shadowing, are so clearly superior to FSX in terms of immersion I literally ran my favorite PMDG T7 only once after installing P3D v2.0.  I tried several times because I really liked the T7, but couldn't get past a few minutes before shutting FSX down to go back to literally the eye candy that P3D--even back when it was only 2.0.  So this is a bit of an irony to me, hearing about needing eye candy and talking FSX over P3D in the same breath.   Along this same line of reasoning though, I also agree P3D will have trouble w/ ultra complex aircraft, but that again has to do with the basic superior eye candy you get in P3D.  

Hopefully the OP has ruled out the possibility a bad add-on isn't the source of the quick OOMs he experiences.   I had exactly zero OOMs using the following add-ons for the past year or so and doing cross-country and trans-atlantic flights:  ORBX NCA, PNW, Oz, CRM.  FB's KSFO, KPHX, & KDEN HD.  REX E+ & TED.  CS Super MD80, QW757, FSCaptain, RA Turbine Duke & Lancair Legacy.  While the MD80 isn't as sophisticated as PMDG birds it's still quite impressive and fun to use.  Then, after installing FSDT's Hawaiian Airports, I had my very first OOM.   I uninstalled it and hopefully got rid of the issue.

I am a huge fan of high-end add-ons, and full eye-candy... P3D won't let me do this, unfortunately.  I end-up with an almost instant OOM. Despite having tried many recommendations, it just doesn't fit my need- high performance and high "eye-candy."

I have to ask, which aircraft brings on an almost instant OOM for you?  We have the same add-ons in terms of scenery it appears.   The irony here is that it was primarily the eye candy in P3D that lured me out of FSX in the first place.   Moreover, I would have to assume this the reason most users moved to P3D, who were willing to put up w/ losing PMDG access, for the total eye candy improvement P3D offers.  This being said there are different elements to eye candy.  For the big picture, the total effect, P3D is vastly superior in my experience--enough for me to put up w/ losing PMDG access and not needing to look back.   I am really pleased now to have discovered FSCaptain since I was an avid fan of FSPax.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Interesting, that is a comment completely foreign to my experience. What exactly do you turn back, and what sort of specs on your PC? I run autogen/vegetation at one click left of full right, shadow quality at high, all terrain & tessellation hard right, but do avoid cloud shadows unless cloud density isn't extreme then it's fine. I use FTX Global & regional sceneries, GSX, TextureDirect, etc. FSX looks totally flat & dead by comparison to me and having used P3D V2.2 now for a year or more I can't imagine going back.

5820k at 4.5 ghz

16 Gb 2400 mhz

2x Titan in SLI

5 SSD ( W7 64 - P3Dv2 - photoscenery 1 - photoscenery 2 - Fs programs )

1000 W psu

3x 30" hd lcd

Scenery complexity Max

Autogen buildings Normal

Autogen trees Sparse

LOD 4.5 ( was 5.5 --> OOM within an hour )

Mesh 5m

Texture resolution 7 cm

Water Ultra ( but resized OceanHeight textures - 256x256 )

Cloud shadow 20 mls ( all other shadows turned off )

Cloud draw distance 70 mls

Clouds /sky from Rex TD ( + performance cumulus01 from Oscar cloudsv4 )

Clouds detail Max

Aircraft traffic 25% ( all other traffic turned off )

I tested with FTX Global + Vector and no OOM

When using photoscenery it gets tricky. Photoscenery is Being put on top over the existing ground scenery and that costs performance and VAS.

But from the windowd of my real size cockpit it looks real....

I might try turning Vector off but I do not have car traffic enabled, so I am not sure if it makes any difference.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Wow, OK big differences in what we are doing w/ P3D.  Good luck that's a lot!  I've not used photo real scenery so I can't speak to what it offers, I just know P3D is finally something I can keep and be happy enough w/ now that I've learned about FSCaptain.

Noel

The day that LM allows full NI control and re programmes its hybrid full screen is the day I return......like the OP I just gave up.....you can tweak until your 100 years old.... but without VS correctly controlled it is just not as smooth as its older Brother.....sibling..whatever....you call it.....

Never like using the word but it St.u.tt...ers...period!. However good the pc...and no doubt some one will now say not on my machine.....

The real truth is FSX is very old LM are investing to improve things even the new guy FSX SE is having a go....but the code is what needs looking at.....it need to be dragged from 2006 to 2015.....

Will it happen...who knows I applaud LM and DTG for trying......here's hoping!

Seasons greeting to all

The day that LM allows full NI control and re programmes its hybrid full screen is the day I return......like the OP I just gave up.....you can tweak until your 100 years old.... but without VS correctly controlled it is just not as smooth as its older Brother.....sibling..whatever....you call it.....

Never like using the word but it St.u.tt...ers...period!. However good the pc...and no doubt some one will now say not on my machine.....

The real truth is FSX is very old LM are investing to improve things even the new guy FSX SE is having a go....but the code is what needs looking at.....it need to be dragged from 2006 to 2015.....

Will it happen...who knows I applaud LM and DTG for trying......here's hoping!

Seasons greeting to all

Like FSX on my pc P3D is running very smooth too.

And the framerate is beter.

Hopefully you will return.....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Then, after installing FSDT's Hawaiian Airports, I had my very first OOM.   I uninstalled it and hopefully got rid of the issue

Hmm, did you report this to FSDT?  I have not seen this but will pay attention to this.  I still use P3Dv2, just with much less complex prop aircrafts.  One definitely plus thing about P3Dv2 is the performance of ORBX region scenery.  In FSX these would cause slight 1-2 sec pauses here and there, in P3Dv2 they are smoother, micro second pause rather than 1-2 sec.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Never like using the word but it St.u.tt...ers...period!.

Period! for YOU my friend.   FSX never ran as smooth in my experience, ever!

Noel

Sorry you are having troubles... It's hard to keep a good impression when there's problems....

I run a 3 screen setup with addons a plenty and I can say that I am happy....ooms are possible but I now can see how certain addons can contribute as they eat into VAS. A matter of fact, it's very important that you run the latest versions of what add-ons you have. Push to shove eliminate them...and test.

Lastly if you are flying big tubes, hopefully those don't include pmdg as those aren't compatible.

I must be living under a rock, I've never been able to run FSX, XP10, P3D without making adjustments and/or knowing how the product works with 3rd party.

I can understand the desire to have a platform that isolates the end user from some of the inner workings of the product and shields how it works with 3rd party.  But that type of "isolation" (meaning end user needs to know nothing other than just fly) is not going to be achieved any time soon unless the market volume and sales drastically changes (for any platform).  To achieve that level of "polish" requires considerable resources and not just core product resources, but also 3rd party resources, AND a "verified/certified" process for 3rd party products.

As far as the Op, this was rather predictable, sorry to say, but going back to your original "why p3d" post (here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/456793-why-prepar3d/ )

Doesn't matter what flight simulator you use, if you want to get the "best" out of it you are going have to understand some of the working details (not all).  I regularly see people posting with a qualification say "I'm not a software engineer" as if that is required to operate their platform ... being able to edit a file, know where files are on one's hard drive, and a basic understanding of key elements (for FSX/P3D exe.xml, dll.xml, simconnect.xml) of that platform does NOT require a software engineer.  Understanding one's platform can and will prevent something I see a lot ... wipe and start everything over again.  This is rarely necessary if one understands the product and ultimately will lead to a better flight simulator experience (and maybe even a better appreciation of it's complexity).

Of course the other option is to keep one's flight simulation experience simple, few to no add-ons and just fly ... that is a viable option, but it's when one gets the urge to have more realism and starts to purchase more 3rd party products, conflicts start to happen, VAS usage, FPS hit, etc. etc.  

For the most part P3D, FSX, XP10 work with minimal user understanding "as is" and with no 3rd party products.

But blaming a core product (P3D) because you can't get 3rd party products to work well makes little to no sense to me ... shouldn't you be posting stuff like this in the appropriate 3rd party forums?

Happy Holidays,

Cheers, Rob.

I can understand the desire to have a platform that isolates the end user from some of the inner workings of the product and shields how it works with 3rd party.  But that type of "isolation" (meaning end user needs to know nothing other than just fly) is not going to be achieved any time soon unless the market volume and sales drastically changes (for any platform).  To achieve that level of "polish" requires considerable resources and not just core product resources, but also 3rd party resources, AND a "verified/certified" process for 3rd party products.

That hit the nail squarely on the head. If all of the rest of the posts in this forum were removed, bar this one, a casual observer would clearly understand our dilemma. Last sentence is the key. No process to ensure an individual with a good idea, won't write a piece of junk that blows the sim down the toilet. That would also remove the 'it must be your system' crutch used by several addon developers on their 'support forums'.