Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Problem with Weather in P3DV2

I just finished a flight from Chicago to St Louis in my CS777 using ASN. Upon nearing St Louis at FL100 and ABOVE the clouds, it was pouring rain or sleeting or snowing:

2oyz.jpg

F58UN.jpg

Then, on approach (and through the clouds) no rain, sleet, or snow:

b3N4s.jpg

But, upon landing and going to my Gate (which I know is not a Gate for a 777), it's raining....

nMvQa.jpg

Has anyone else seen this in P3DV2 or is this an ASN problem? Thanks.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim - Think you need to check with ASN - could be a bad metar but they would know for sure. I have seen it before but usually it turned out to be a fluke.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Happens all the time to me.   I flew out of KSJC-San Jose tonight and it was storming but the rain didn't start until I was above the clouds.  @_@   Happens way to often.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Hi,

ASN decides if it should rain on the lateral axis based on the radar signals it receives. So, in the case of Jim's 3rd screenshot, it might be the case that no clouds/signals exist above the aircraft. So, cross checking with ASN's map (in detail mode) will tell you if something is indeed wrong.

As for the rain above the visible clouds, the problem may come up in case of rather thin stratus clouds, where ASN assumes a specific thickness while in reality it is much less. In FSX, the cloud model thickness and vertical scale are determined in code, thus in most cases we're able to detect it within an acceptable error margin. In P3D however, the cloud model scale logic has moved (completely) to the shader/GPU code and with all the recent P3D changes in this regard (that  solve other issues), we may have a mis-sync. 

We will attempt to make our calculations more conservative, but please open up a support ticket with the details (including the exact version of cloud.fx  file you use) to help us track this.

Thanks (and Merry Christmas to all)

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

At the risk of sounding like a complete sap...gotta love the ASN support.

We will attempt to make our calculations more conservative, but please open up a support ticket with the details (including the exact version of cloud.fx file you use) to help us track this.

Thanks Kostas for the detailed explanation.  I will open a support ticket but, if I'm the only one seeing this issue, I have a feeling it is a configuration issue.  I have seen this often though and not on just this flight so I would like to get it resolved one way or the other as it is unrealistic seeing rain or sleet with just blue skies above.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Kostas for the detailed explanation.  I will open a support ticket but, if I'm the only one seeing this issue, I have a feeling it is a configuration issue.  I have seen this often though and not on just this flight so I would like to get it resolved one way or the other as it is unrealistic seeing rain or sleet with just blue skies above.

Best regards,

You are not the only one seeing this issue.

On December 22nd I flew from KAST down the river to KHIO early morning. KAST was IFR due to fog, which looks BEAUTIFUL. 

I climbed to about 3k feet and exited the lower level of clouds into beautiful sky with mountains to my left poking through... P3D is remarkably beautiful and really gives Xplane10 a run for its money.

As I was about 5 miles out of KKLS (about halfway) I experienced rain above the clouds. Then as the fog ended below me, the fog suddenly disappeared (IE if I turned my head around to look out the back of the 182, there was no fog visible.)

This may be my inexperience with ASN. I used the trial version to get a feel for the direct weather injection and am keeping an eye out on other products, but I did want to let you know that I have also experienced rain above the clouds.

TJ

Or just rename the rain.fx file to something else. Now I can fly with improved FPS and no weird rain fx (and no mercury covered runways!).

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg