Sign in to follow this  
Bofajking

New REX Product: Soft Clouds

Is this a standalone product or an add-on to REX (it's not clear from the manufacturers website)?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Is this a standalone product or an add-on to REX (it's not clear from the manufacturers website)?

It is a standalone product (doesnt make much sense to me but whatever) It can be used all alone or alongside REX 4 or REX Essential + OD. Its $10. 

I understand that they will eventually look to integrate it into the REX 4 launcher as a paid addon, but not as of yet. 

It is a standalone product (doesnt make much sense to me but whatever)

It would be geared towards Active Sky Next people

Matthew Kane

It would be geared towards Active Sky Next people

Isn't that what Rex 4 texture direct is....This looks like only the cloud portion of REX4 the feature list is nearly identical, or is REX 4 now going to be useless after a year?

I have REX HD Overdrive.  Love the sharp high quality clouds.  Not sure why I would want to go back to "out of focus" soft clouds.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I would want to go back to "out of focus" soft clouds.

Out of focus   soft cloud? what makes you say its out of focus

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

-Well, I was so excited when I heard a new release came out from REX, in addition, I was expecting a whole new fix and more clouds effects that makes flying into clouds more realistic. Unfortunately, there wasn't really a big difference when it comes to textures of clouds! REX Soft Clouds is basically REX 4 - Texture Direct , however, this one focuses only on the clouds and it gives a better look of it. That's it! They could just add this new Soft Clouds version into REX 4 - Texture Direct as a beautiful gift UPDATE for the new year. if you want to use soft clouds you must overwrite whatever you choose from Soft clouds textures over the clouds being chosen by REX 4 - Texture Direct!!

YES, it is nice and I liked it, it also has a beautiful effects on FOG and HAZE weather condition. However, it doesn't really worth the $10.95 that I paid.

I almost wonder if this is a bit of an experiment. Imagine if their new weather engine dynamically changed textures based on location and weather. On the ground, clouds look a bit sharper. In the clouds, a bit more wispy. I guess we'll see. I was really hoping REX and HiFi would announce a partnership. HiFi gets out of the texture business and REX gets out of the weather business. Oh well...

Happy New Year.

Out of focus   soft cloud? what makes you say its out of focus

As opposed to my current REX sharp resolution clouds, vs "fuzzy", "soft", "not as sharp" versions.

Just simply saying I like sharp cloud outlines, mind you I'm a GA flying not a tubeliner high elevation guy so perhaps those that fly at 30,000 it would be appropriate.

When I went from the default (lower resolution [soft]) clouds to the REX sharp versions I was so excited about how great they looked.  I am just not going to change anything at this point.  Some day I will upgrade my PC and move to P3D but until then I have enough cloud options.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Bryan, we are working on the HD part of Soft Clouds, which will most definitely be what you're after. This will be a free upgrade to existing customers. We are also working on integrating it within our other products as well.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Bryan, we are working on the HD part of Soft Clouds, which will most definitely be what you're after. This will be a free upgrade to existing customers. We are also working on integrating it within our other products as well.

Also with REX Essentials Plus Overdrive?

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

Well for 11 bucks, I thought it was a nice little add on for my sim. Fog and overcast was really improved. I also though the "soft" aspect was kind of step back... But It was cheap enough to have a look.. I have lots of 30+ aircraft sitting in the hanger with less then an hour on em, so no skin lost on this one.

If REX is still readin the thread, I would suggest a better preview picture/size in the software so that the user can get a better idea of what each one looks like... the small pics makes them all look the same.

Well the soft look isn't for every type of flight IMO - I frequently switch between TD sets and SC sets. The SC are nice for flying really high over them. And they're only low level clouds anyway.

I was thinking about SC today in my travels, and I made a point of looking at clouds today... What I noticed was how the real sky has both types.. some sharp.. some soft. A real trick for FSX would be to have BOTH HD clouds and the soft clouds mixed together on the non cirrus levels. If anyone can do that, REX would be my first pick.