Sign in to follow this  
KPBG

Updated GPS Nav Data for GA

Hi, folks.  Quick question.  I'm looking for a GPS with updateable nav data that I can use to practice current, real-world approaches in a GA platform (think Piper Archer, Beech Bonanza, Beech Baron).  I have been looking at the Mindstar GNS 430/530 product with a RealNavData subscription.  What else should I be looking at?  Thanks in advance.

GTN 750/650 - navdata isn't readily available...  PM me if you're wondering about the units

MS is a decent choice too.  I'd say Reality XP as its better but only works in FSX, and the navdata is about the same as the GTN's.

Then I recommend Pilot Edge for your currency (non FAA time of course)

http://www.pilotedge.net/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

IMO the GTN 750/650 are the best all around units. Very nice. For updatbe data you will need th MS 530/430. IMO has much work to be done but the data can be updated... For 40/yr. I would sell ya mine for cheap if I could. :(

I would also suggest you have a good look at the GTN units..

Bert

Hi, folks.  Thanks for the info.  Bert I took a closer look at the GTN units.  Good stuff.  Ryan, I read your "mini-review" of the GTNs; it was informative.  Thanks.  Wford, thanks for your offer : )  

Okay, here's where I'm at:  I read Ray Marshall's exhaustive review of the F1 GTN units.  Nice.  And, I just spent another two hours reading forum posts regarding the Mindstar and Flight 1 units for background.  

I was sold on the Flight 1 GTN units until I read that the database is from 2011 (and may not be able to be updated at all per a comment dated 17 November by HeavyFlyer on Ray's review).

Bert, is there a work-around for updating the GTN units?  In one thread, you said, "Yes, but as far as navdata goes, just like the GNS, there are newer expired Garmin databases available if you ask around."  Could you please clarify?

On the other hand, I see that Mindstar released an update two weeks ago that enables WAAS approaches in their product (and I get quarterly updates if I buy the RealNav subscription).    

I would love to use the GTN units (could be a blast on a second, touch-screen monitor), but updated navigation data is important to me moving forward.  

Bert, can you please advise regarding updating the GTNs somehow?  Thanks!

I have the GTN 750 and the Mindstar 430/530 with nav data subscription.

It's true the GTN 750 is fancier and great to use but I have to admit to preferring the Mindstar in my A2A and PC12 especially since they updated recently and seem to have eliminated crashes in P3d. Mindstar can be awkward to instal as it's not 'out of the box' like GTN750.

There's a nice YouTube video showing the use of the Mindstar which is worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrKuL6l3yM

I'm not knocking the GTN750 but if the live data is so important to you then you shouldn't be concerned about the Mindstar, in my opinion.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Also bear in mind Mindstar is FSX and P3d in one purchase.

GTN 750 is individually licensed I'm sure.  In fact P3d version GTN 750 is from a separate website / company.

So if you are on FSX now and plan to go to P3d (highly recommended) you might end up paying twice!

(I am not associated with Mindstar).

Dean

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

This is true... MS contains both 430 and 530 whereas with the GTN you have to purchase each separately.  I only have the P3D GTN 750... does many many things -  until they make crossfill I won't be getting the 650.

There is updated navdata floating around for the GTN/ RXP units.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for all the help guys.  I've got family stuff the rest of the day (my kids think I'm worse than them regarding screen time : )  Back at it tomorrow.  I'll leave a post to let you guys know how this all works out.  Thanks again!

Thanks for all the help guys.  I've got family stuff the rest of the day (my kids think I'm worse than them regarding screen time : )  Back at it tomorrow.  I'll leave a post to let you guys know how this all works out.  Thanks again!

Please keep me posted.. I am brand new to P3D (about two weeks) and am also debating a GTN or MS purchase.. Let me know which one you choose and why.

Staying current is extremely important to me... Im used to Xplane where Navigraph updates the 430/530 data automatically each cycle for me, and I enjoy flying on pilotedge, where the currency is a bit bigger issue.

I am very curious on how you can update the GTN with current data.

Thanks for any help.

TJ

"Staying current is extremely important to me...Im  used to Xplane where Navigraph updates the 430/530 data automatically each cycle for me,"

That is possible because (As far as I know, I read somewhere) there is an FMC (for Xplane) working in the background feeding the Xplane 430/530 Garmin's data.

And current there is no support for SID/STARS ...in the Xplane 430/530 Garmin's .. correct?

Does PilotEdge assign SIDs/STARs to be flown ... as part of your clearance?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

And current there is no support for SID/STARS ...in their 430/530 .. correct?

If you are referring to the Mindstar 430/530 you do get SIDS and STARS when you subscribe for the Nav Data.

Dean

Dean,

No, the reference I made was to Xplane.

I went back and edited the post to make it more clear.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I use both and like both as they are very different units. One advantage of the Mindstar units is they come with crossfill at no extra charge. Hopefully the Flight 1 GTN's will have it too in the near future. And I hope F1 doesn't charge extra for crossfill, something I feel should be included.

Todd

There is updated navdata floating around for the GTN/ RXP units.

Does anyone know how to locate this floating navdata?

Ryan