Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

REX Soft Clouds in FSX ?

I'm using FSX with Soft Clounds with REX Texture Direct and I'm one of those who just doesn't seem to see any big differences. 

Some of that may be due to the fact that I only fly low altitude, VFR aircraft <10,000 MSL and seldom  get about the clouds.

Honestly, I think I'm a bit texture-challenged because all of the 16 available sets look pretty much the same to me and since there are no individual descriptions I'm somewhat in the dark when I pick a set.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

have you unchecked the low level cloud option in rex4

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yep..Perhaps it was because I was already using 512K textures for low level clouds in Texture Direct?

Ernest Pergrem

@DJJose: Your screenshots look amazing! Which set of clouds are you using? 

I'm using using soft clouds #2, #11 are the fog clouds, and tried #15.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

when you installed one of the  soft cloud sets did you let soft clouds auto find your main flight sim folder and was there alot of square looking symbols after it. This happened to me and when I did first flight I did not notice any differance. Next time I browsed to my main Flight sim folder this time I did not have square looking circles after it, click ok and installed went for a flight and all was good. You will surely know if they were installed much different. If you already uncheck low level clouds in REX4 the 512 tex I am guessing should not be a problem. Hope this helps and you will still notice a difference at low levels. 

What are your favorite sets so far?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I agree with what a lot of folks have said. The soft clouds look nice from above but not so much from below.

And they don't solve the 2d spinning cloud issue in P3D v2.

That's becasue they're sprites and not 3d rendered volumetric objects. When you pass one, they rotate around you according to your perspective in relation to said object. If you want volumetric weather surfaces I'd suggest P3D or XP. Though XP's clouds, even modded, still look cartoony and terrible.

E.g.

Reading thsi thread, I'm still wondering wether it really is an improvement over my REX 4 and ASN. I have already volumemtric effect with ASN, so, I'm just wondering..

I fly fsx.. btw ;)

Victor Roos

Reading thsi thread, I'm still wondering wether it really is an improvement over my REX 4 and ASN. I have already volumemtric effect with ASN, so, I'm just wondering..

I fly fsx.. btw ;)

Victor - As a user of both ASN and Rex 4 for the past year in FSX, I absolutely think the soft clouds have made a tremendous improvement.  I have used every set in REX 4 and have always used 512 textures.  As I stated in my post above, the soft clouds have added an additional 'wow' factor for me.  I think for $10, it's a no-lose gamble ....IMHO!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I'm not sure  I need  to add some tweaks  to the fsx.cfg or nvinspector to see the realism you're talking about. As far i see these clouds are by far the worst set of clouds I have seen.From below and/or above.Just  rergular low def textures.I have fex,rex essential (+overdrive) too. Couldn't find anything worse.I must be missing something.

Yeah, I don't get it either, they look like clouds that were heavily smudged, blurred and put back in the pack, the outcome doesn't look like real clouds, not even in shots of people who claim that they're looking great. Too me it looks overdone.

Anyway, that's just *my* opinion. :wink:

Well, for those that think they're unrealistic... here's  a snap from the other day...

IMG_2237.JPG

Well, for those that think they're unrealistic... here's  a snap from the other day...

Interesting shot - kind of looks like a photo - well done

Rich Sennett

Yes- it was a photo! But it reminded me of REX. 

But it reminded me of REX.

Can you give us an equivalent shot from your FSX then?

2014-9-12_19-13-59-188.jpg

2015-1-2_10-34-3-589.jpg

2013-12-15_22-56-51-863.jpg