Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

So, it still isn't complete but I decided to let you guys know how to convert FSX to Flight.  As I mentioned there are still issues in several areas, but I haven't had as much time to fix them as I would have liked.  For now it makes sense to me to let you guys play with it and help find areas that need improvement.  As I make improvements in the future you can rerun the conversion to get updated bug fixes.

This requires a clean installation of FSX (no addons enabled), but it doesn't verify this is the case before running the conversion right now.  You also need to have the Hawaii and Alaska adventure packs installed and enabled before doing the conversion.

From a command line you run this command:

<Path to Flight Toolkit>\ContentConverter.exe fsx /i:<path to FSX folder> /o:<Path to temporary folder to convert the assets>

This command will take all the existing content and convert it for use in Flight.  After conversion it will pack the files up and install them in your DLC folder.  You need at least 7GB free in the output folder, as well as 7GB free in the Flight DLC folder.

Alternatively you can add the "/a" option, and instead of installing the content into the Flight DLC folder it will zip it up and create a .flightAddon file that you can copy and install to another machine.

Once conversion is done you will need to run Addon Manager and enable the addon.  The first time you start Flight it will take a pretty long time to load the content in the main menu after signing in (on my machine it takes 5+ minutes).  This is building all the scenery indices.  Subsequent runs should be quite a bit faster.  Whenever you change what DLC is installed or enabled, this process will be redone.  I have some ideas to make this much faster in the future.

Known issues:

- Vegetation autogen is using Hawaii\Alaska types for the whole world

- Cliff textures are not being used

- Terrain texture masks, variation patterns and some mappings may not be converting properly

- Library object, row house and polyline autogen are not converted

- Photo imagery are not converted

- Taxiway signs are not converted

- Attached effects are not converted

- Some landmark scenery is not converted

- Polyline bridges are not converted

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve, I can't believe I'm the first to see and respond to this but a big thank you is in order!

I need to ask this just to be clear: the content converter program converts what it needs from the FSX folder(s), but leaves everything in the FSX folder intact, and deposits the converted content in a new folder designated for that content, correct?

Thanks again!

Ken

I'm getting an error in the conversion process:

Loading BGL file: 'path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\0001\scenery\OBX02090.bgl'
Warning: Generic building conversion is not supported currently.  Ignoring these objects.
Error: Parent of attached data is NULL
Error: FSX conversion failed: Failed to load FSX BGL data path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\0001\scenery\OBX02090.bgl

I'm trying to convert from a fresh FSX SE installation.

I'm getting an error in the conversion process:

Loading BGL file: 'path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\0001\scenery\OBX02090.bgl'

Warning: Generic building conversion is not supported currently.  Ignoring these objects.

Error: Parent of attached data is NULL

Error: FSX conversion failed: Failed to load FSX BGL data path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\0001\scenery\OBX02090.bgl

Well Done Steve and thanks for your commitment. I'm getting the same error too!!  :mellow:

hmm I guess I should have bought the steam version when it was on sale for $5 to test with, lol. Can one of you send me that bgl? Email is fine, or just upload it and share the link.

The conversion is scenery only.

Nevermind, apparently I broke something since the last time I did a full conversion.  I'll have to fix this bug and release a new version.  Sorry everyone!  Hopefully I can do that today if it is a simple fix.

Unfortunately, I can't get this to work.

I installed the following versions of the toolkit as I assumed they needed to be installed sequentially: v0.7.3, v0.9.4, v1.0.0 and then v1.0.17.5; however, I couldn't install v1.0.18.5 or v1.0.23.0 because the installer failed. (I installed the recommended C++ file, but still this didn't work).

So I installed v1.1.1 right away (I didn't install v1.1.0 beforehand). I have manually created a backup of my profile and I have reinstated this - all of my 3rd party addons work correctly, my profile/career stats are correct and I run the toolkit in GfWL mode (e.g., multiplayer ON but Aerocaches OFF). I have FSX Acceleration installed. I run everything as an administrator.

I entered the following code from 'cmd line' on the 'ContentConverter.exe':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter fsx /i:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft 
Flight Simulator X /o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight\TEST

Command prompt generates this error:

Error.jpg

1) Do I need to install all of the toolkits sequentially?

2) Does anyone have any ideas how I might resolve this error?

If I can't get it to work, then nevermind. I am really pleased that Flight is finally getting some new content - well done Stonelance et al.!

All I really wanted was to convert the following scenery folders to test the pacific islands (e.g., French Polynesia): 0004; 0005; 0104; and 0105. If anyone can create an 'addon' file and upload these for me, then I would be really grateful! (Unless that isn't allowed, of course.)

Thank you.

- jarsky

Hey jarsky! Glad to see you again! 

First of all, you don't need to install the toolkit sequentially, you can always just install the latest version. 
v.1.1.0 did not work for me either so I just waited until the latest version was released.

The fact that you couldn't install v1.0.18.5 or v1.0.23.0 indicates that there may be a problem with your machine. The error message appears to say that it cannot locate the SimProp, which is a .dll used within the toolkit. What you have entered in CMD seems to be fine but just to make sure, copy and execute the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Tools\Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter.exe" fsx /i:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft 
Flight Simulator X" /o:"C:\TEST"

N.B. I changed the output directory to the root of your "C" Drive. I wouldn't recommend cluttering your Flight install folder. Do not worry about the hyphens around the directories - it just tells CMD to go to that specific location.

If this still does not work I can only recommend re installing the toolkit. Make sure you do a clean reinstall so:

1. Uninstall through Control Panel
  2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Flight Tools folder
  3.  If you can, make sure to delete any traces of the Flight Toolkit in the "AppData" directory. You can access this by going to C:\Users\ <Admin>\AppData
  4. Here you will find three folders. Look in each one and delete anything to do with the Toolkit. Some folder names are Flight_Tools, Flight Tools and spb2xml
  5. Reinstall the toolkit. Make sure you also install all previously required C++ redistributables.

As always, if this does not work, we will need Steve's input!  :lol:

Good Luck and report back!

Use quotes around the paths as Kavinda mentions.  Also, you can't use the Microsoft Flight folder or any other folder under Program Files, because it requires admin rights to write to those locations, and the conversion runs as a regular user.  I don't know why either of those issues would result in it not being able to load the SimProp assembly though, so you might have an additional issue.

Try reinstalling/repairing v1.1.1.  The first time I installed it I had the exact same thing.  I looked through the toolkit folder and FlightToolkit.simprop.dll was not there.  I went to uninstall it, did the repair option and it put the file there.  Then the conversion process ran fine.

Of course now I can't get it to work in Flight.

Does it only work in Non-GFWL?  When I tried it after selecting FSX world in the Addon manager (Official GFWL version set), Flight would crash every time.  If I selected Non-GFWL flight would start up, but I don't see the rest of the world.  I'm going to try again today using the /a switch.

Try reinstalling/repairing v1.1.1.  The first time I installed it I had the exact same thing.  I looked through the toolkit folder and FlightToolkit.simprop.dll was not there.  I went to uninstall it, did the repair option and it put the file there.  Then the conversion process ran fine.

Of course now I can't get it to work in Flight.

Does it only work in Non-GFWL?  When I tried it after selecting FSX world in the Addon manager (Official GFWL version set), Flight would crash every time.  If I selected Non-GFWL flight would start up, but I don't see the rest of the world.  I'm going to try again today using the /a switch.

Did you already install the World Region addon? http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/helpful-tips-addons-and-tools.431226/