Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

Greetings from Tahiti! (Fa'a'Ä Airport; NTAA)

NTAA.jpg

Thank you KavindaJD and stonelance - excellent work and guidance, and now I can use FSX World scenery with the WorldRegionUI in non-GfWL mode!

I have checked that the Toolkit (v1.1.1.21720) and Flight (v1.1.1.30063) work correctly in GfWL and non-GfWL modes. I can switch between them without errors or loss of save data/profile stats. I can only explore the FSX World in the non-GfWL version, but that's fine.

I have noticed that when using FSX World, to change my aircraft's location in Alaska or Hawaii it's easier using the 'Alaska' or 'Hawaii' regional maps for those areas; however, to change my aircraft, its livery or its fuel, I need to do this whilst using the 'World' map or else no change occurs. I have also noticed that the GfWL version retains all of my DLC, but the non-GfWL version gives me all of my DLC and some additional items.

So in conclusion, my conversion finally worked! Thank you guys for your support/technical guidance and for your patience and clarity. I can post my repro steps in case that's useful? I'm glad I could help to find a bug too, although that was my error really!

Although it's a little empty in places, I am sure that MS Flight will be augmented with even more additional scenery - kudos to stonelance and to all of the beta testers for developing this amazing Toolkit! Speaking of which, if you need additional beta testers, I would like to participate if that's useful.

- jarsky

Hi jarsky.

I started a thread at FSDeveloper.com to record scenery errors or oddities for Steve. We should use a screenshot of the problem, and attach a saved FLT file group (zipped) of the problem, with a short description. This will give Steve an archive of problems we find in the conversion, should he revisit the conversion down the road.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-conversion-scenery-errors.432604/

This should be a good way to help Steve track down issues.

Dick

Hi jarsky.

I started a thread at FSDeveloper.com to record scenery errors or oddities for Steve. We should use a screenshot of the problem, and attach a saved FLT file group (zipped) of the problem, with a short description. This will give Steve an archive of problems we find in the conversion, should he revisit the conversion down the road.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-conversion-scenery-errors.432604/

This should be a good way to help Steve track down issues.

Dick

Good idea! I'll sign up and start noting any errors or issues I come across. So far, I've just been enjoying the scenery in my dragon-gree Icon A5! These screenshots aren't errors or oddities, although some do exist in these areas, but they do show what the Flight Toolkit can do very nicely:

TNCM

TNCM.jpg

Las Vegas

Las_Vegas.jpg

Anyway, I won't turn this into a screenshot thread. I'll gladly help to test various world sceneries as part of the ongoing effort to develop Flight!

- jarsky

Nice to see, good work guys. Glad I spent the 5 bucks on FSX.SE I have an empty HD awaiting to be filled with Flight.

The way the map works is that it remembers the location and aircraft per area, so if you switch from Hawaii or Alaska to another region your aircraft selection doesn't care over.

Nice to see, good work guys. Glad I spent the 5 bucks on FSX.SE I have an empty HD awaiting to be filled with Flight.

hmm I guess I should have bought the steam version when it was on sale for $5 to test with, lol. Can one of you send me that bgl? Email is fine, or just upload it and share the link.

Oh, that reminds me! FSX Steam Edition is back on sale for $5 for the next 1.5 days. :)

*dragon-green Icon A5!

The way the map works is that it remembers the location and aircraft per area, so if you switch from Hawaii or Alaska to another region your aircraft selection doesn't care over.

Oh OK, thanks for clarifying how it works. I look forward to playing around with the Toolkit; my fantasy in Flight is to be able to fly around a converted Tahiti X, which I remember fondly from many years ago.

- jarsky

If you aren't intending to convert the scenery or just wondering how good the conversion is, here are some Screens to help make your mind up:

:lol: 

Over the Themes - London

D7TH7UK.jpg

Sydney

QV9eJkP.jpg

MBf8bDV.jpg

Auckland

ajxabhv.jpg

Bay of Naples

UHMHUV3.jpg

ddQLESV.jpg

sFaJm6i.jpg

Miami and Guantanamo Bay

Da1rOdq.jpg

WBrg5yL.jpg

zmAFPY4.jpg

SHSC4iU.jpg

A0l4R7M.jpg

Ouch, that hurt, Kavinda J. D !!!  hehe .. nice screenshots, and enough to convince me to get to work.  I grabbed the FSX:SE edition when it was $5, so I think I will do a brand new install of that and use it to convert the scenery to Flight.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

-Bob

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Have now flight tested quite a few areas in U.S., and conversion process has worked well. One exception is San Francisco: I've tried to fly this area twice and both times Flight crashes after about 5 minutes of flight. I am wondering if a scenery object or model did not get converted properly.

Steve: if you re-run the conversion process does it completely re-do everything or does it look for changes only? I've thought of running the contentcreator on the San Francisco city scenery only; will the program work if I attempt to do that?

Perhaps someone else can check the SF area and see if Flight crashes as well?

Ken

Perhaps someone else can check the SF area and see if Flight crashes as well?

I've flown around SF a bit, along Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge - it works fine here, no crash. Conversion was based on the FSX Steam Edition files.

Some general comments:

- First - Great job, stonelance! I've flown around quite a bit, and did not have a single crash so far (unlike in FSX on Win 7)

- Conversion from a normal HD onto a SSD works very fast - took only a couple of minutes on my Core I5.

- I found a few errors. For example houses and other autogen infrastructure appear on Berlin Temelhof Airport runway. Actually it's sort of correct now, as the closed airport territory became a public park in real live ^_^  In the alps there are a few violet/pink spots occasionally. I'll post screenshots in the fsdeveloper thread once my account is confirmed.

- Setting seasons on summer seems to work best. Using other seasons has some strange effects in some world regions, though that is not an issue with the converter, rather with the way Flight deals with seasons in different areas.

Actually, the seasonal problems are probably due to the conversion. The conversion builds a unique lclookup.bgl that controls how seasons appear in each region. Go ahead and report them, if you can. the lclookup can be fixed.

Dick

Steve: if you re-run the conversion process does it completely re-do everything or does it look for changes only? I've thought of running the ContentCreator on the San Francisco city scenery only; will the program work if I attempt to do that?

I don't think it'll detect changes. If you haven't removed the directory which everything got processed into (i.e. the folder with the "temp" and "FSX World" subdirectories), and you convert to the same folder, the program will detect that the converted file already exists and will skip it. Otherwise, you will have to convert to a different path, but this will mean that you have to convert everything once again.

If you do decide to convert scenery for a particular area, it will work. However, you need to identify and give a "delimited list" referencing model bgl paths and textures which may take some time. 

Your safest bet would be to convert everything again, unless Steve has something to else add... :lol:

No one else seems to be experiencing a crash in this area so it must be due to your machine. It is a dense area with a lot of models so Flight could be lagging a lot. Check your graphics card and drivers to make sure that you aren't putting a lot of "stress" on you CPU by going to "graphically intense" areas

When you rerun it will only regenerate files that are missing form the target.  If you want to quickly regenerate just some files you can manually delete those files from the output folder and rerun the conversion.

If you are getting a crash in a specific area, can you look at the ContentErrors.log and see if there is anything interesting in there? (It is expected that the FSX conversion has a bunch of content errors, so it may not be obvious).