Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Flight Toolkit 1.1.0 - FSX scenery conversion

I created a new version of the toolkit that has fixes for the FSX scenery conversion issues: www.flighttoolkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/FlightToolkit_1_1_0.zip

Changes:

- Fix crash during FSX scenery conversion due to bug in scenery loading code.

- Improve performance in several areas during FSX scenery conversion

- Fix error in Non-GFWL mode with some profiles that try to report a visited aerocache that has already been reported.

- Fix some logging messages that weren't using the right string type in the format string.

Thanks for your work, but I'm getting another error message right now:

Loading BGL file: 'path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\BASE\scenery\worldlc.bgl'

Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at BglData.Save(BglData* , Char* , FileFormatVersion )
at FlightToolkit.SceneryConverter.ConvertFSXSceneryToFlight(String fsxSceneryCfgPath, String fsxTerrainCfgPath, String outputRootPath, HashSet`1 filesToSkip, ILogger logger, IProgress`1 progress)
at ContentConverter.Program.Main(String[] args)

Loading BGL file: 'path\to\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Scenery\BASE\scenery\worldlc.bgl'

Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at BglData.Save(BglData* , Char* , FileFormatVersion )

at FlightToolkit.SceneryConverter.ConvertFSXSceneryToFlight(String fsxSceneryCfgPath, String fsxTerrainCfgPath, String outputRootPath, HashSet`1 filesToSkip, ILogger logger, IProgress`1 progress)

at ContentConverter.Program.Main(String[] args)

Thanks again Steve, but getting the same error! Also, why am I not being allowed to switch modes? When I access the converter through CMD, the Configurator comes up...is that meant to happen? 

I am trying to figure out how to do a new install of FSX without affecting my existing installation; I definitely want to participate in this and add FSX scenery to Flight. I've been looking forward to it ever since Steve mentioned he was working on it. So far I haven't had any luck. I don't really want to uninstall and start over; I have a lot of ORBX scenery installed and a few other scenery addons and starting over will be a pain.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Could one possibility be to install a standard FSX into a virtual machine windows system - then extract-convert the files from there onto the host system running Flight?

Great, it worked fine now with version 1.1.1! Greetings from snowy Germany!

Flight_zpsade8c5de.jpg

Great, it worked fine now with version 1.1.1! Greetings from snowy Germany!

Flight_zpsade8c5de.jpg

Awesome-sauce!!!  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Problem solved; have a clean install of FSX. Conversion process works as advertised.

With the exception of the list Steve mentions as currently not working, such as missing bridges and taxiway signs along with a few other items, you're going to love having FSX world scenery in Flight.

At some point down the road I hope it will be possible to have a scenery creator program to "dress up" and add other scenery to Flight.

In the mean time, thanks Steve for your hard work!

Ken

At some point down the road I hope it will be possible to have a scenery creator program to "dress up" and add other scenery to Flight.

Maybe something like Whisplacer - that would be awesome! 

Hi All.

Some comments about the FSX conversion:

First, some low-end systems may need to "dumb down" the graphics. Lots of objects here, and this will tax your system, just as FSX taxes a low-end system.

As Steve has noted, there are some things missing, and some airport backgrounds are odd looking. Make note of these things as Steve may want to have this info in the future ( maybe we can start a thread on this).

You need a clean install of FSX or FSX_SE to make the conversion.

I made a batch file to create the conversion. I placed it in the Flight Tools folder.

MkDir FSX_Base
"Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter" FSX /l:fsx_conversion.log /i:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" /o:"FSX_Base"
Pause

Here's a different batch file for FSX_SE:

MkDir FSX-SE_Base
"Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter" FSX /l:fsx_se_conversion.log /i:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" /o:"FSX-SE_Base"
Pause

Save these as a text file and name as FSX_Conversion.bat

Make sure the file paths are right for your system. Just double-click on the batch file icon to run it. It takes a while.

Now that we have FSX_SE available, we can have our own controversy, just like FSX users have!  :lol:

Dick

Is it possible to expand the Aerocache Editor so aerocaches can be placed in the whole world?

Theoretically, yes but I need to test that the UI works for it. Also, I may need to integrate the World UI into the FSX conversion.

BaronKen: It should be possible using the various options in ContentConverter, SceneryConverter and AutogenConverter to convert other addons and content from FSX. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make one that can do it automatically.

Thanks for the hint Steve; I'm not sure where to find the options available for the conversion programs but I'll look around and see if I can find them.

I would like to try and convert some "hometown" scenery I have and see if it would work, but not sure where to put it. I definitely need to find, read and learn some tutorials on these programs.

Ken