Sign in to follow this  
Jeroenpbelgium

Switching to Prepar3D V2.4 -> how to upgrade my pc please ?

Hi everybody,

I know this questions is asked several times & I’ve searched many forums but I’m gonny try to gather your help J

I’m currently still flying FSX & are considering to make the change & dive into Prepar3D.

The only thing : I know my PC can’t handle P3D well, so I’m hoping you guys can give me some good advice on which components I need to upgrade .

Your tips & advice is really highly appreciated !!

My current system as follows :

1/ I5-2500K overclocked to 4 GHz

2/ Z68X Gigabyte motherboard

3/ Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit

4/ Corsair CSSD-F120GBGT-BK       (SATA 600, ForceGT, TRIM, MLC, Lite Retail)

5/ msi GTX570 Twin Frozr

6/ OCS ModXStream Pro 700 Watt

7/ 3 X Cooler Master Silent Fan SI1 R4-S2S-12AK-GP, koeler

8/ Aerocool F4XT, Fan Controller

I only want a smooth experience in P3D, the high frames are not the most important.

Just no stutters …

I’m flying most of the time with Airbus from Aerosoft & the Majestic Dash Q400.

Airport addons I’m using a lot from Aerosoft as well as REX Texture Direct & ASN for weather.

Thank you for your time & efforts !

ciao,

Jeroen

I only want a smooth experience in P3D, the high frames are not the most important.

Just no stutters …

Ive never reached that point with an I7 4790K and GTX 980. I can get high frame rates but with many stutters. But, download and try it for yourself. LM has a very simple return policy.

Hello Jeroen, 

While I have not run P3D V2 yet (my download is in limbo-land, but that is another subject), my understanding is that the graphics card is paramount to good visual performance. Your GTX 570 is several generations old, and would be the first I would update. The new GTX 970 is supposedly pretty nice, but I am hoping my factory-overclock GTX 780 is up to snuff. You can pick up a used 780 for really cheap now that the 970/980 are out.

Good luck!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Ive never reached that point with an I7 4790K and GTX 980. I can get high frame rates but with many stutters.

Same case here with 4770K and GTX 980. High frames but lots of stuttering. There's definitely no way to buy yourself a smooth, stutter free P3D experience. However it's possible to achieve it by tweaking coupled with a little luck. I did that once and had it running smooth for a couple months. I still get the spirit every now and then to try another round of tweaks/hardware updates or whatever I read about. But haven't seen butter since summer.